Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Apparently not - I asked that yesterday. Emergency loans and the loan window are no longer.

Odd thing is though that I thought that mean it was only season Long loans but I have seen a few deals that are loans until Jan

Of course there are because the january transfer window still exists and there will be a loan window open alongside that. Loans til january can then be renewed or turned to permanent deals

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I am more worried what his relationship with BHAFC will be if he doesn't get his move?

Obviously he's prepared to risk that for his "dream move". This whole brinkmanship is beyond me.

Imagine how annoying it would be to put your house on the market with an asking price of £500K and not be under pressure to sell, then getting some developer tw*t offering £250K and upping that by increments of £25K on a daily basis up to a "best offer" of £350K. Then imagine finding out that yesterday that tw*t just paid full asking price for an identical house up the road.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hmmmmmm he doesn't know who the targets were. One of them would not have been phrased like that. BUT he is correct........Never say never with 8 hours or so to go

I wonder if we have been using the Burnley negotiating technique? Derisory offers with small increments over three months until the 11th hour and then glum faces all around to find it has been left too late...again :smile:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
All in all, as much as I like DS as a player, he should count himself lucky and be privileged that Albion want him to stay.
I have not seen many PL clubs REALLY touting for his signature, only Burnley:lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
All in all, as much as I like DS as a player, he should count himself lucky and be privileged that Albion want him to stay.
I have not seen many PL clubs REALLY touting for his signature, only Burnley:lolol:

A 2016 Porsche won't buy itself you know.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think we badly need another striker to have top 2 aspirations. But, given the choice IF it was either/or, I'd probably rather keep Stephens. We'll find a way to score goals but we've rarely looked anywhere near good enough for automatic promotion without Kayal and Stephens in the side together. Even if CH can get Norwood/Sidwell playing better, that'll take time which we haven't got for top 2.. in fact, if Stephens goes, I think we might end up changing the team shape entirely.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm usually quite optimistic and chilled about these kind of things, but not signing a striker will prove to be a massive **** up, which will undoubtedly result in another season in the Championship, which leads to the prospect of losing Kayal and Stephens for nothing and Dunk, Goldson & Knockaert wanting out to get PL football.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Unless he has a complete volte-face, not selling Stephens is a big mistake. Now one of our best players, if not the best, is unhappy and doesn’t want to be here. That leaves us with a weakened central midfield, the hallmark of our success last season. As for the striker, it sounds like the club put all its eggs in Alex Pritchard's basket and when that deal went wrong (no blame can be attached to the club) we've been left with few other options for a No 10. I have long though CH’s desire for a number 10 may be a distraction from just buying striker who can score more goals than Baldock or even Hemed. For a club which missed out on promotion to the Premier League by the slimmest of margins, not to find a pacey forward all summer has to go down as a failure.
As it is, we look vulnerably short up front. With just three strikers everyone better pray that Glenn Murray doesn't get injured.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Of course there are because the january transfer window still exists and there will be a loan window open alongside that. Loans til january can then be renewed or turned to permanent deals

Oh yeah, I understand that, I just thought that it was a case of it was season long loans or nothing

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I wonder if we have been using the Burnley negotiating technique? Derisory offers with small increments over three months until the 11th hour and then glum faces all around to find it has been left too late...again :smile:

I would go down another route and be thinking.............Maybe the player involved didn't see Brighton as a big enough fish. Maybe the player or players we were after were looking at are or were being courted by bigger clubs than Brighton

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How does that work then? Have you got details? Can they play for the first team?
James Wilson was a youth loan last year. Any player young enough, no transfer window restriction, can be recalled after 28 days.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I would go down another route and be thinking.............Maybe the player involved didn't see Brighton as a big enough fish. Maybe the player or players we were after were looking at are or were being courted by bigger clubs than Brighton

Which is where plan B comes in??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here