Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not interested in facts right now - just bloody angry. There are some aspects for football in this country that I really hate.

Yeah but you need to stop making things up :lolol:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
He's not even as good as he thinks he is - and his crass stupidity in getting sent off in the play-off game against Boro, arguably cost us promotion. I agree ...just piss off Dale. Had enough of your devious, disloyal behaviour to last a lifetime.

Can't say that I 100% agree. Not really sure that I 1% agree. Can't see him being here tomorrow though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's not even as good as he thinks he is - and his crass stupidity in getting sent off in the play-off game against Boro, arguably cost us promotion
Yeah, he stupidly let Gaston kick him, just like he stupidly scored the equaliser.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wow. Even by your standards that's negative.

1) Boro wasn't a play off game
2) In any case it was a shocking refereeing decision in a game where his goal kept us in with a sniff, and where he was one of the only decent performers.
3) In any case it's much more arguable that we didn't go up because of the points dropped when he and Kayal were not available, By the end of the season the bloke had run himself in to the ground for us.

Footballers aren't loyal. Well, 99% of them aren't. Even Zamora left.

As I pointed out a few pages ago, Elliott Bennett handed in a transfer request but stayed. I recall lots of hatred for a couple of days, and then all was sweetness and light again, when he stayed for a further few months.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I don't like insulting players however If he wants to go and we can get the right amount of cash to get in a couple of better players and gives some change to TB then let him go and maybe we can insult him as we pass him in the league ��

Ps no loyalty these days

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I bottled it last night waiting for the train home from southend last night i was going to ask our Tony if Dale would be staying , i managed a meek hello then shriveled back into my shell , then blow me down he starts waffling footy to a couple of other Brighton fans , think we now know the answer sadly .

Fair play. Must be so exquisitely awkward with TB on the trains. I like that most of the people who talk to him would probably otherwise hate him if he wasn't a billionaire. Love the idea of Stephens driving off in a Porsche as well, TDD really rams home the them-and-us of it all.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Yeah but you need to stop making things up :lolol:

That's stretching things a bit - how often do players get sent off for winning the ball? :)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
our vote
Would you accept Dale Stephens transfer request and sell him?
Yes
67%
No
33%

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/147...ve_at_Brighton_and_Hove_Albion_/?ref=mrb&lp=1

It puts us in a dilemma, who to score goals from midfield, who to have the physical presence in midfield, who to take the free kicks? (How can be beat Newcastle w/o him?)

I voted YES. The Porsche made up my mind (if true, couldn't see for certain). That could not be the agent!

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just hope we don't end up with Stephens staying, refusing to play and causing STRIFE in the squad

Chris Hughton was at pains to point out that Stephens has acted in a very professional manner throughout. I suspect most of this uproar is down to his agent.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
He's not even as good as he thinks he is - and his crass stupidity in getting sent off in the play-off game against Boro, arguably cost us promotion. I agree ...just piss off Dale. Had enough of your devious, disloyal behaviour to last a lifetime.

Whoa, whoa, whoah.

Say what you will about his recent actions but it was categorically not his sending off that cost us promotion and even if it was you would have to put the blame on that relentless f**k-monkey Mike Dean.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
What we do and what top sportspeople do in a team are not comparable, the contracts are utterly different. I daresay if I left my workplace there wouldn't be too much of an issue, however when all the members of a team are absolutely vital to the success of the team, you have to work in a different manner. There's really no point comparing this sort of thing with 'normal' jobs.

Jesus, imagine if players could just leave football clubs at any point, giving a statutory four weeks notice... at least the ridiculous transfer fees would start to disappear. Nobody would pay €100m for a player who could just leave after a month or two.

It's definitely worth equating to normal life/jobs.

I work in an industry where people ARE integral to the success of the team and their clients yet leave on a whim whenever. The prospect of them leaving versus the reality is always more disruptive than you think in the end.

Of course I don't think from an employment law perspective footballers will ever get parity with us normal folk - hence the Bosman rule being the next best thing to them - and that I don't blame DS for taking this stance. That's all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's stretching things a bit - how often do players get sent off for winning the ball? :)

as often as they get a second yellow for being kicked by a goalkeeper

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Chris Hughton was at pains to point out that Stephens has acted in a very professional manner throughout. I suspect most of this uproar is down to his agent.

Until now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here