Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bridcutt and Buckley anyone?
They've not exactly been world beaters since they moved on, after throwing wobblers about getting moves a couple of years ago have they? ???

But of course, a few million quid better off each, than say JFC, Dunk etc....

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If he does go, I'm confident the club have replacement(s) lined up. It's not as if this has come as a big surprise to them.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
And who do we replace him with?

A good question but who knows what the Albion have up their sleeve. IMO they would have considered this possibility and come up with plan b. I hope lol. It will be an interesting day imo

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd rather he rotted in the reserves for the rest of the season.
It's not your money.

I'd rather he got his head down between now and January, to see if he can help us get promoted.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I'd rather he rotted in the reserves for the rest of the season. If he wanted to go the time to do it was last week given there has been interest all summer. We now don't have time to replace him. Don't have anytime for players like that.

You rather have an unhappy player in the reserves than a £7m cheque ?? Hmmmm really

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I suspect he will now be gone to the highest bidder today. Hull sounds more likely than Burnley though if the reports of Hendricks medical are correct. We have already replaced Stephens with Sidwell & Norwood coming in. I think Dack is a more realistic addition today if Dale does leave. It would be a shame to see him go as i have very much enjoyed watching him play. Can't blame the guy for trying to improve his career though. Onwards and upwards.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have no inside knowledge but I don't subscribe to this view.

I can't believe that neither the club nor his agent hadn't let the club know they'd quite like to head off to pastures new/greener/richer/Match-of-the-Day-er and gave the club the opportunity to do what they felt was the right thing. And they probably felt that c£7m for a Championship midfielder with less than a year on his contract was decent enough compensation.

The club have not played ball, as is their right of course, so there is only one course of action available to him.

If he sees this as his chance to get to the promised land of the Premier League, what is he going to do? He's not an Albion fan, he'll have little loyalty to the club but he will very much want to progress his career and secure the future of his family.

Don't get me wrong, it's far from brilliant for the Albion, but if I put myself in his shoes, I imagine I'd be doing the same.

Agreed - though if I was in Hughton's shoes I'd be saying no.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't believe that neither the club nor his agent hadn't let the club know they'd quite like to head off to pastures new/greener/richer/Match-of-the-Day-er and gave the club the opportunity to do what they felt was the right thing. And they probably felt that c£7m for a Championship midfielder with less than a year on his contract was decent enough compensation.

The club have not played ball, as is their right of course, so there is only one course of action available to him.

If he sees this as his chance to get to the promised land of the Premier League, what is he going to do? He's not an Albion fan, he'll have little loyalty to the club but he will very much want to progress his career and secure the future of his family.

Don't get me wrong, it's far from brilliant for the Albion, but if I put myself in his shoes, I imagine I'd be doing the same.
If I was desperate to move, and the club said they'd reject offers and keep me, I'd hand in the transfer request long before the last day of the season.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The timing is purely because he'd have been looking at a 5/700k payment if he didn't. So he'd have been hoping it would go through without having to put in a request. Request makes no difference really. Club will have known his position.

I'd imagine that the 'lost' payment will be covered by the buying club, via an inflated signing-on fee.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I suspect he will now be gone to the highest bidder today. Hull sounds more likely than Burnley though if the reports of Hendricks medical are correct. We have already replaced Stephens with Sidwell & Norwood coming in. I think Dack is a more realistic addition today if Dale does leave. It would be a shame to see him go as i have very much enjoyed watching him play. Can't blame the guy for trying to improve his career though. Onwards and upwards.

Thatd be why even with Hendricks medical Burnley have bid again

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We've had players we didn't think we could afford to lose before, Lawrenson, Ward, Zamora, to name but three. We'll move on, Stephens isn't bigger than the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here