Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
This is disappointing news. He's had all summer to do it.

On the final day of the transfer window?!! can this really be true?

Definitely could be.

The scenario that Stephens wants Prem football (and the hefty pay hike) but was sat hoping that the Albion would do the business, to avoid losing him for nothing next summer, without him officially 'asking' to move, and thus pocketing his cut of the transfer sum, plus 'loyalty (yes, I know) bonuses'.

Now it's clear the Albion were prepared to stand by their guns, he now seeks to force it through (probably with the buying club throwing him a big signing on fee, to cover his 'losses' ).

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
He should have done it earlier if he wanted a move, his dithering means there is no possible way to get a replacement in time, so he will have to stay.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Two different sources. And yes, very realiable.

Thing is, your average fan, doesn't see through the blue and white strips in front of him.

As an example, lets use Dale Stephens. He may be very happy here. BUT he has an agent, and as an agent, he will do all he can for his player( and with commission himself).

When you get a player who could play at the very highest level, all the top clubs will be looking at him and scouting him regularly. But where a player like Stephens (or other), who in time could fit in to a top Premiership side, or in one players case, tipped for International call ups, with all the will in the world, they are not going to get an England call up playing for Brighton in the Championship. The top sides, say Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, will be aware of them, but will not spend £10m plus as a rule, on a player without Premiership experience. So if a player goes to one of the relegation candidates; that move is better for their career, than staying at Brighton. They get a huge pay rise, and more importantly, they get Premiership experience. So, say if Stephens goes to Burnley, or Dunk to Sunderland or Hull, or Solly to Southampton and their team gets relegated, if they have done well, then one of the big boys, may come in for them. At the very worst, they will move back to the premiership with another mid-lower table side. If they don't stand out, they come back down with their new club, probably on top money.

Which is why when the likes of Stephens wants a move, it can be unfair to stand in their way. And if they club do it and block moves, then agents are aware of it, and therefore so are any new signings we try and make will be aware that the club will stand in the way of a big move.

Its a big gamble to hold onto a player who has a chance of premiership football, and can back fire badly on a Championship club who does it.

It's not as simple as saying, "well if he sticks with us, we will probably in the premiership next season anyway". It just doesn't work like that unfortunately.

My sense of fair play is that we could not stand in the way of Ulloa to have the last chance of a crack at the Premier League because of his age an at the time and good luck to him.

For Dunk, he is much younger and probably needs another season before he was ready for the Premier League.

For Beram Kayal and Dale Stephens it is more difficult as they will soon be reaching the age when they will be wanting to play at the highest standard possible. Play not languish in the reserves without performance bonuses.

Hull and Burnley contracts may not be as good as they seem. It would mean commitment to a team that might be relegated. It all depends on the personality and ambitions of the player? Not the persuasions of the agent?

I would like to think how far can the Albion fulfill the ambitions of the player compared to any possible suitors (transfer bids) ???

Because of the risk of injury there is value in signing a long contract with Albion or possible suitors. (I'm surprised that Kayal hasn't signed?)

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
the albion had all summer to sort it out if they new his feelings. now they are left with limited time to re-invest/
Which means limited time for the sale of Stephens to go ahead as well. We simply won't sell unless a decent replacement can be acquired.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
the albion had all summer to sort it out if they new his feelings. now they are left with limited time to re-invest/

If his feelings were that clear, he could've put in the request at any point since we went out of the play-offs in May to give the club that have supported him so well some time to reinvest. What he's done is driven by greed and is, quite frankly, a bit cowardly.

I'm not prone to booing players (in fact, I never have), but if he plays for us again, even I'd consider it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are they always right?

He does have history of being sneaky in transfer dealings. he asked to leave Charlton because he was homesick and wanted to go back up North..and where did he end up?

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
Just seen this, gutted if true, we better be quick and get a dam good replacement. Lets just hope the bid is now sensible. £10.5m for Hendrick must see Dale valued around the same price. So looks like he might go to Hull.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well, just let him go and make sure we rinse either Burnley or Hull for craploads of cash. May aswell give Justin Edinburgh the phone call he is expected too and make them an offer they cannot refuse for Dack.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus 2m2 minutes ago
Cannot confirm whether Dale Stephens has handed in a transfer request. Can confirm it makes no difference to Albion's stance on him. #bhafc

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Cannot confirm whether Dale Stephens has handed in a transfer request. Can confirm it makes no difference to Albion's stance on him. #bhafc
Naylors put his head on the block there, he won't be sold then if true

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Naylor has tweeted he can't confirm the request but can confirm it doesn't change our stance. Can't embed on tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton

As much as I like him, if his head has been turned, do we really want to keep him? will he give his all? will he have any commitment to playing well or will he just warm our bench and waste important funds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here