Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Personally I think if we get an offer of 10m plus then it gets difficult as we could get a quality replacement for Stephens and have 2-3 million left over to add to our budget for a number 10.
Problem is getting the right replacement within 48 hrs is a huge gamble,

That would be a huge fee for a player with 1 year of his contract left to run - but totally agree they're way off the mark with 5.5m. Hopefully he can be persuaded to stay and then be playing for us in the PL next season.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
What a tin pot outfit Burnley are. They've hit the jackpot (again) and are dicking (us and Stephens) around with bids that appear to be going up in increments of £250k or such like.

Given they've spent virtually fuk all, it's bewildering why they just don't put in a proper bid, get their man (or not I suppose) and let everyone get on with it.

Actually.they're an embarrassment to other tin pots!

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Just bid a proper amount or do one, who does Dyche think he is? It takes the piss that Burnley are trying to get a 'deal' when they've banked hundreds of millions. Unsettling our player so they might get 500k off. Embarrassment.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just bid a proper amount or do one, who does Dyche think he is? It takes the piss that Burnley are trying to get a 'deal' when they've banked hundreds of millions. Unsettling our player so they might get 500k off. Embarrassment.

Agreed - shambles of a club. The biggest annoyance is that we played so much better football than them last season - Gray's goals got them promoted. DS needs to knuckle down now if he's not going - we are paying his very high wages - show some respect & be part of this great team again. **** Burnley - they'll be back down next yr regardless of what we achieve. And we have 10xbetter facilities. Sorry that's a bit harsh on the Amex and Lancing... 30 X better facilities.

Not often I'll big us up against a club or pop at another just because they're interested in our player but I hate this whole 'prem league' so do what we want mentality. Their interest am has already cost us points this season - ridiculous situation. And Dyche is a proper ****...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Albion turn down another Burnley bid believed to £5.5m says Argus this morning
"ALBION have rejected a fourth bid from Burnley for midfielder Dale Stephens.
The latest offer was made over the weekend as Stephens returned to the squad as an unused substitute in the 2-0 defeat at Newcastle.
The bid, believed to be in the region of £5.5 million, was turned down flat again by the Seagulls.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14709867.Albion_reject_fourth_Burnley_bid_for_Stephens/
(they'll presumably now keep chasing Hendrick)

"

Also he says "he doesn't know what is going on" (ie: stop asking me about it) when fan accosts him at some bar last night.

[tweet]770040217671757826[/tweet]

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
but out and out about on the town last night you'll hear other stories.

[tweet]770074402365042688[/tweet]

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

I suspect it's not Dyche who is being a tight wad. I think their board pride themselves on their parsimoniousness and in the meantime they're ****ing up our team and our manager's ability to manage. As others have said they banked virtually all the cash from their last Premiershit fiasco and they're doing the same this time. They can just f u c k right off.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
We don't have to sell so guess they're going to have to up their bid last minute to about £8-9m to have any chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
but out and out about on the town last night you'll hear other stories.

[tweet]770074402365042688[/tweet]

Eh? How come your post says Dale says he's off but your Facebook says he said he doesn't know what's going on? I blame " lucky Pierre" in your photo...the bloke who looks like he has a finger in your and Stephens bums.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I suspect it's not Dyche who is being a tight wad. I think their board pride themselves on their parsimoniousness and in the meantime they're ****ing up our team and our manager's ability to manage. As others have said they banked virtually all the cash from their last Premiershit fiasco and they're doing the same this time. They can just f u c k right off.

You are right there, they barely spent any money last time they got to the Prem, but surely if Dyche wants his man he would step in and tell them to make a serious offer. Just a unlikable club all over, and we should tell them where to go.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Agreed - shambles of a club. The biggest annoyance is that we played so much better football than them last season - Gray's goals got them promoted.

It was more than Gray's goals although they'd have struggled to get in the top 6 without them. They were quite amazing at set-pieces and were very well organised indeed. They played dull dull dull percentage football which involved setting up the team to defend and hit long balls to Gray, he'd either score or get them set pieces from which they scored many goals.

What would Stephens role be in that team? Similar to Cabeye at Palace; standing in the middle of the park seeing the ball sail over his head to Gray or defending. His passing and shooting abilities would be completely wasted.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Interesting that the Argus has this story. They'd been pretty quiet about the details before. My guess is that the '4 bids' and '£5.5m' have been leaked by the club to the paper. They are resigned to losing Dale and now want to smoke out a bigger club like Red Bull Leipzig.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
...according to the Argus today. The bid, thought to be in the region of 5.5million, was made "over the weekend".
£5.5m is their fourth bid!

Given the current value of players, that's laughable. I realise he's only got a year of his contract left, but given that we're not wanting to sell that's not really relevant.

How confident are we that the Argus have got that right?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I'm not sure we should be worrying about what he'd do for Burnley. My main concern is that this has already disrupted him and the team enough to have broken up his partnership with Kayal, one of the best in the division and a key reason we were so good last season. As things stand, it's left us with one of our best players "unsettled." We know he doesn't want to be here beyond this season and whilst he's not refused to play, like Bridcutt, nor he has agreed a new contract which surely, at this late stage, he's not going to do. ( Dunk agreed a new deal a full week before the window closed).
So where does this leave us, right now? Either Burnley come back with an improved and acceptable bid and he goes. We then have to find a replacement in 48 hours but the club must have thought about whom that could be and if it was feasible to get them.
Or Stephens stays and the club does its best to persuade him to knuckle down hoping he'd a agree a new deal sometime but also knowing he go could for a couple of million in January or at the end of the season for nothing. If we're promoted we're into a whole new and different terrain.
For me, it's up to the player. If Stephens wants to go now ( and we don't really know what's been said or gone on behind closed doors) then it's probably best he leaves, if the price is right. Albion are hugely disadvantaged by parachute payments and the deeper pockets of other Championship clubs but the one thing we have which many haven't, is our togetherness. Albion cannot allow that to be threatened by someone who isn't committed to playing for the club.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Why don't the club follow the lead of many others and simply come out and say, we wouldn't listen to offers of anything less than 10 million for Dale Stephens?

Surely that would have put this whole episode to bed sometime ago then, Dale is without doubt out of the side because his heads been turned and we are suffering as a consequence, put a value on the player and tell Burnley to put up or shut up and everyone can then move forward.

4th bid of 5.5 million is an insult IMO.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Personally I think if we get an offer of 10m plus then it gets difficult as we could get a quality replacement for Stephens and have 2-3 million left over to add to our budget for a number 10.
Problem is getting the right replacement within 48 hrs is a huge gamble,

When Dale responded to ManU splashing a reported £100m on Pogba with "is he really worth 10 times more than me?" I don't think it was an entirely rhetorical question.
£10m appears to be the price we would accept.
As for a potential replacement I suspect reports of us looking - but not bidding (yet) - at Toulouse's Jean-Daniel Akpa-Akpro (if he has t gone to Trabzonspor already) is not a coincidence.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Well we already knew Dyche is a complete prick, just further evidence

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Everything suggests that the Argus story is likely to be close to the truth. Stephens clearly wants to go and is either refusing to play or (perhaps more likely) Hughton doesn't want to play an unsettled player until or unless this is sorted. If Stephens has his heart set on the premier league as soon as possible, then it's inevitable that he will go now or in January. He is older than Dunk was (when he chose to stay last year) and chances can easily disappear with an injury. £5.5m is low by current premiership transfer fees. However with only a year on his contract we are under some pressure. I would snap their hands off for that in January.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
10 million for a player who has less than a year to run in his contact and never played Preimeriship football, is Pie in the Sky, no way will that happen. The club is right to reject £ 5.5 but add another million and that would be a figure Albion may find hard to turn down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here