Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens signs 4 year contract

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Good to have our 3 best players on long contracts now (Knocky, Dunk and Stephens). Also good to have players like Duffy, March, Kayal ect on long term deals as well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Stephens staying is great news. Really wondered whether we made the right decision in the summer to keep hold of him but he committed fully to the promotion battle and we've returned that with a four year deal, Premier League football and presumably a decent pay rise. Everyone wins (except Burnley).

"Decent". What do you reckon, a £2m signing on fee payable over time, with a wage rise from £15,000 to £40,000 per week?

The fee is a fraction of the cost of getting a replacement in.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Strange logic in this one:

Wanted to leave after our interest, refused to sign a new deal and now after they've reached promotion commits to four years. Not the sort of character I'd want based on that.

How about: "Wanted to leave after Burnley's interest, refused to sign a new deal, but knuckled down and utterly professionally played a major part in gaining promotion and after they've reached promotion commits to four years. Exactly the sort of character I'd want based on that".

I can understand them being a bit miffed, but.....

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Wanted to leave after our interest, refused to sign a new deal and now after they've reached promotion commits to four years. Not the sort of character I'd want based on that.

How about: "Wanted to leave after Burnley's interest, refused to sign a new deal, but knuckled down and utterly professionally played a major part in gaining promotion and after they've reached promotion commits to four years. Exactly the sort of character I'd want based on that".

They are just bitter knowing we are a bigger club than them!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Bang goes their nice little tree transfer.

Whilst the vultures circle for Keane and Heaton.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Fair play and well done to you for persuading him to stay.

I am a little surprised but suspect he must be on a VERY lucrative new deal. He could have probably got a £5 million-plus signing-on deal with Burnley (we were willing to pay £7 million) or another club.

When he slapped in a transfer request last August, perphaps DS wasn't 100% confident you would get promoted?

Would his new 4-year deal contain a release clause?

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I am a little surprised but suspect he must be on a VERY lucrative new deal. He could have probably got a £5 million-plus signing-on deal with Burnley (we were willing to pay £7 million) or another club.

When he slapped in a transfer request last August, perphaps DS wasn't 100% confident you would get promoted?

Would his new 4-year deal contain a release clause?

His family like it down here, a walk along the prom, the sea air in his nostrils and the Amex and training ground were too bigger loss.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

No-one was. How could anyone be '100% confident'?

Burnley were offering the possibility of PL football immediately, Brighton told him to stay and honour his contract. Instead, Burnley coughed up more for a different player, which shows they weren't totally serious about Stephens.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
"Decent". What do you reckon, a £2m signing on fee payable over time, with a wage rise from £15,000 to £40,000 per week?

The fee is a fraction of the cost of getting a replacement in.

He wont be on 40k a week

Based on? We had players on £20k a year three years ago.

I'd say he's getting around £35k ish.

Isn't Dunk on 22k? wouldn't of thought Stephens would be on much more than 30k but I don't suppose we will ever know.

No. No-one will, unless that given player shoots his mouth off about his salary.

'I heard that...' (a common statement) is a pretty lame consideration to base one's knowledge of a situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here