Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens' appeal [Update: appeal rejected, 3 game ban stands]

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Entirely to do with how the decision was made - conferring with a player before changing your decision is not in the rulebook.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I wonder, do we know who the FA panel comprised of?

No. This type of information is witheld. As are the reasons for the decision - a decision that could ultimately cost the club £200m. As transparent as FIFA, then.

#corruptasfifa

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Exactly. I find it funny that Boro fans are coming on here and are all over the BHAFC hashtag saying get over it as well. This is our place to vent. I was hoping that knowing the FA wouldn't do the right thing would make it easier but when I heard the appeal was rejected, I was angry all over again.

Me too. Less worried about the Boro fans, they would be doing the same, their forum would have been full of the same sense of injustice over the disallowed goal at Brum, or if roles had been reversed. We should vent to our hearts content on NSC ... Don't let them spoil that too!!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Me too. Less worried about the Boro fans, they would be doing the same, their forum would have been full of the same sense of injustice over the disallowed goal at Brum, or if roles had been reversed. We should vent to our hearts content on NSC ... Don't let them spoil that too!!

Finchley - thumbs down was mistake meant to be "up"!!!!

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
This is going to be a minority and unpopular view, but I don't like the level of malice in the criticism of Dean (or minded, widening it out, referees in general over decisions like this). It is even arguable as to whether he made a mistake. At the very least Rule 12 on serious foul play, and the interpretation, leaves room for debate and argument.

He didn't award a Boro goal that was three yards offside. He didn't award a Boro penalty that was three yards outside the area. He didn't disallow a Brighton goal that was a yard over.

The issue of intent is irrelevant, so is the fact he touched the ball first, and so is the fact Dean may have changed his mind. We have had a few bad rubs this year, and this was another. But it wasn't the outrageous decision it has been painted, just because it was worth so much money to us.

Has it really cost us promotion? What about not turning up in the first half at Boro when we could easily have been 3 or 4-0 down? What about not beating Derby at home in a 'must-win' game? What about Dunk's month of madness last year? Or all the points we dropped from winning positions?

The fact is the team have performed brilliantly, well above expectation this season - and we would all have bitten anyone's hand off to be in this position. If there is any justice we will go up, we are miles better than Wednesday and we have to prove it again. If Hughton feels using some sense of injustice will help, great, but we shouldn't need that anyway.

Come off it, Stephen's cleanly wins the ball and Ramirez swings his leg into him. It was an accidental injury made worse by the fact that he didn't have proper shinpads on. Ramirez then rips the yellow card out of the red's hand which is an absolute disgrace. Even worse is that the ref then sees the injury and decides to give a red. Completely shocking method of refereeing

Hutonthebeach

Apr 19, 2016
Stephens was too wound up from the start and I think he ultimately paid the price.
Early doors he flew into a challenge on the touch line with both feet off the floor and studs showing. It looked a good tackle and he won the ball but the linesman flagged for a foul. Stephens went mental with him.
Later on, Ramirez was fouled (fell over?) and Stephens climbed over his back to get the ball and ended up shoving one of the Boro players in the chest and shouting at the ref.
And as we all know he had a shoving match with Ramirez right under the ref's nose just before the red card.
Rightly or wrongly I think his card was marked.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The issue of intent is irrelevant, so is the fact he touched the ball first, and so is the fact Dean may have changed his mind. We have had a few bad rubs this year, and this was another. But it wasn't the outrageous decision it has been painted, just because it was worth so much money to us.

as reasonable as you are putting your point, the fact he got the ball first and the manner in which Ramirez made contact is entirely relevent to the situation. essentially the position now is that any ball 3-4 foot off the ground cannot be touch, lest an opponent hits your boots thereby injurying themselves. further, the fact Dean did change his mind tells you he thought there was no dangerous play at first and only seeing the injury made him doubt that. along with the way he accepted Ramirez knocking the yellow out of his hand, is why this decision is outrageous. this is a contact sport and players need protecting, in this case they have accepted an injury as worthy of a red card irrespective of the causes.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There still doesnt appear to be any comment on the clubs web site. Does this mean the lawyers are still drafting a watertight statement or are they just going to remain totally silent.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Obviously fa have done wrong here, they couldn't rescind the red card as they would of been proved wrong in a big game, however, I wonder if they might give instructions to the ref on Friday to be lenient against Brighton players just to even things up ? I might bet on a Sheff wed player being sent off !

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Stephens was too wound up from the start and I think he ultimately paid the price.
Early doors he flew into a challenge on the touch line with both feet off the floor and studs showing. It looked a good tackle and he won the ball but the linesman flagged for a foul. Stephens went mental with him.
Later on, Ramirez was fouled (fell over?) and Stephens climbed over his back to get the ball and ended up shoving one of the Boro players in the chest and shouting at the ref.
And as we all know he had a shoving match with Ramirez right under the ref's nose just before the red card.
Rightly or wrongly I think his card was marked.

Boro fan presumably as this is complete rubbish

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
There still doesnt appear to be any comment on the clubs web site. Does this mean the lawyers are still drafting a watertight statement or are they just going to remain totally silent.

What's the point of making a statement. However outrageous this decision is, making a statement now will not help us focus on the task itself. The fans can say what they like though and we should.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
It's official. The FA are anti Brighton & Hove Albion.

Happy days. Makes winning the play-off final all that bit sweeter.

Karma's a bitch and this is our year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here