Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Daily Mail reporting Albion have rejected £4m from Burnley for Dale Stephens

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
spot on. On his day can run a game, hardly ever gives the ball away and looks a 10 million pound Preimership player. He's a class act and will be a big miss.

It concerns me, I genuinely doubt Stephens or Kayal are replaceable at this level.
If he goes we'll still have decent CM options, Kayal, Sidwell, Towell, Norwood, Ince.
Players like him are the difference between Autos and Playoffs, we really do need to keep our best players or we'll just keep treading water.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I agree he has been a big part of our game but football fans are fickle and attitudes change. I am not sure how we will go about replacing him.if he does leave.

Well I know its not a popular opinion on this thread, but I think in Norwood we have his replacement. A NI international who had a good Euro 2016. The player recruitment department have been very good since CH arrived, with the exception of Manu.

I'm hoping he stays but won't be too despondent if he goes.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
It concerns me, I genuinely doubt Stephens or Kayal are replaceable at this level.

If someone can show me a realistic replacement of the same quality I'll eat my hat. We currently have 2/5 of the best center midfielders in the division. If we're going to lose him we need to be buying big elsewhere (striker) to keep that quality in the squad. Especially if we want BK to sign a deal and not walk away for half his value in January.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If someone can show me a realistic replacement of the same quality I'll eat my hat. We currently have 2/5 of the best center midfielders in the division. If we're going to lose him we need to be buying big elsewhere (striker) to keep that quality in the squad. Especially if we want BK to sign a deal and not walk away for half his value in January.

BK isn't going to sign now anyway.

FWIW, Norwood and Sidwell both capable replacements and another signing will only further strengthen that.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
spot on. On his day can run a game, hardly ever gives the ball away and looks a 10 million pound Preimership player. He's a class act and will be a big miss.

To be honest it looks like I am one of the few fans not fussed about him leaving for a good fee. Until Kayal came to the club Stephens looked very ordinary to me, who would blow hot and cold during a game and never impressed me, as I say, until he partnered Kayal. If it were Kayal you were trying to sign I would be going mental about that possibility

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Perhaps we can pick him up again at the end of the season when we replace Burnley in the premier division

What is this f**king addiction on here about picking up ex-players if he goes then so be it. If we replace Burnley in the Premier league next season I would hope our aspirations would be a little higher considering all the extra cash that would become available to us! #ambition

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well I know its not a popular opinion on this thread, but I think in Norwood we have his replacement. A NI international who had a good Euro 2016. The player recruitment department have been very good since CH arrived, with the exception of Manu.

I'm hoping he stays but won't be too despondent if he goes.

Norwood has the best stats for completed passes in the Championship.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sidwell is a very solid replacement IMO, I know I'm in the minority but I think that he is just as good as Stephens. If he can gel with Kayal, we'll still have an excellent midfield with Norwood waiting in the wings or potentially playing in a three man midfield on occasion.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Great player but it seems obvious to me it's personal reasons & is desperate to go back up north. The kick for me is that we played much better football than Burnley last season and Andre Gray was the only reason they marginally finished above us. But that's football - £7mil is a huge fee - need 3 players now let's do it :thumbsup:

Friend

Jul 6, 2016
With Stephens going for 7m and us being willing to spend near 8m for Pritchard, does this mean we could have around 15m on our hands to spend? If so, why aren't we going all out on signing quality and giving ourselves the best chance for promotion whilst we can? I mean the squad we have is good enough, but why not make it even better? whats to lose?

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
IF that IS true then thanks for the memories Dale, £7mill for a player with a year left in his contract is great business for the club. Remember, this is not Ulloa. I hate Burnley I really, really do.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Do we know if there is a sell on fee for Charton?

Am I the only one who thinks that is good money for us. Yes he was superb for us at times last year but I don't think he will be such a great loss as Kayal or Knocky would be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here