[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mid thread Poll:
Do you think Contador is still cheating, yes or no?
No.

Unsurprisingly Miller makes an interesting point, re drugs.
To paraphrase, it's a cultural thing.
Bert or AVV are never going to see themselves as doing wrong, therefore admit to it.
Whereas Anglo-Saxon honour and fair play means the guilt of cheating becomes to great a burden.
Or words to that effect.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Would have been interesting to see what Wiggins would have done had he not gained the advantage in the first TT stage win, I always thought he had more to give and some in reserve thereafter. As it was he played it tactically perfect. When you say constant attacks for the next one, will this happen so much on a completely clean tour? Certainly wasn't the predicted number of attacks launched in this years leading to some complaining of boring stages.

Would depend on just how much time the crash or mechanical that would have prevented him winning the first TT was. He was never going to lose it to other GC riders otherwise :lol:

As for attacks on climbs and the cleanliness of this Tour. Perhaps Stat Brother will be able to dig out the page numbers for you on this thread that cover that very subject really well?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As for attacks on climbs and the cleanliness of this Tour. Perhaps Stat Brother will be able to dig out the page numbers for you on this thread that cover that very subject really well?
Do wot!
He's only got 96 pages and 1903 posts, he can find them himself :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've not caught any moaning about the Vuelta.
To have 4 favourites going at each other from stage 1 and not being happy, seems a little odd.

Not the same amount of moaning as there was for this years Tour, no, but I've certainly read more than a few posts moaning about the stage profiles - although that's par for the course I suppose as so many fancy themselves as course designers, just like loads of football fans think they can manage a team better than anyone else.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Do wot!
He's only got 96 pages and 1903 posts, he can find them himself :lol:

Well, I would help but I'm too busy researching my fantasy team...you on the other hand...:p

:jester:

Besides which, you're our official 'games maker' when it comes to all things cycling on NSC :kiss:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, I would help but I'm too busy researching my fantasy team...you on the other hand...:p

:jester:

Besides which, you're our official 'games maker' when it comes to all things cycling on NSC :kiss:
Bollox am I, anyway it's [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION]'s thread he can do it. :lol:

I'm off to bed

Night all.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Would have been interesting to see what Wiggins would have done had he not gained the advantage in the first TT stage win, I always thought he had more to give and some in reserve thereafter. As it was he played it tactically perfect. When you say constant attacks for the next one, will this happen so much on a completely clean tour? Certainly wasn't the predicted number of attacks launched in this years leading to some complaining of boring stages.

Riders can't repeatedly attack like they could years ago but there are still riders who will try, as this vuelta has shown. What's definitely gone is the all day 200km break in the mountains a la virenque.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Riders can't repeatedly attack like they could years ago but there are still riders who will try, as this vuelta has shown. What's definitely gone is the all day 200km break in the mountains a la virenque.
and Landis.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Although I think Andy S's attack on the Telegraphe (?) last year, might interest people.
That being, going even more 'old skool' by sending 2 or 3 riders up the road from the off and then smashing the peloton between 50-100kms to go, and have your riders 'carry' you to the finish.

Sure I didn't work for AS, but neither does letting the strongest team dictate.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, it's more like 'I'm not leaving mine'.

I have an increasing mental image of 1066.
Long hair beard and nails, sullen, greying skin.
Sat in a cupboard 23 hours a day with 3 computers all logged onto different aspects of road cycling.

I don't think he's been outside since Febuary :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
***SPOILER ALERT***

I'm going to be watching the end of today's stage live.
As I can't be doing with late highlights, and I'm seriously intrigued by the last 2kms.

So as much as I know I'll be talking to myself, if there's something worth commenting on I shall, so be warned.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolutely mentals.
I don't see how anyone can ride up that.

I don't know what Froome can do now.
He (nobody) can't hold a candle to J Rod on the short punchy climbs.
To beat him on longer high mountain climbs, he'd have to get over AC, too, which isn't likely on such climbs.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Absolutely mentals.
I don't see how anyone can ride up that.

I don't know what Froome can do now.
He (nobody) can't hold a candle to J Rod on the short punchy climbs.
To beat him on longer high mountain climbs, he'd have to get over AC, too, which isn't likely on such climbs.

I failed halfway up Freshfield Road last Friday........it's just unbelievable what these guys can do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's nothing around my way to be too scared of.
My nemesis has always been Cobb Lane, Ardingly ish, area.
There's something about it, other than the 25%, that always catches me out.

dgh123

Aug 7, 2011
Anyone watching the road to glory at the moment? looks quite good!

Sky Atlantic now!

Just stuck it on this thread as NSC is clogged up with about 20 threads a minute atm haha

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports