Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and I don't see any point in being secret squirrel about this, as I'm sure it's the point we are all working too.

I now have J-Rod, Froome and Contador in the same team.

Team Stat is on the way back!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Oh and I don't see any point in being secret squirrel about this, as I'm sure it's the point we are all working too.

I now have J-Rod, Froome and Contador in the same team.

Team Stat is on the way back!

Same here. I nearly did my transfers based on the stage profile from the rabocycling app - nice and flat, get the sprinters in! Lucky I checked the stage description on cycling news.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ssssshhhhhh

I have access to a 'bikini clad Dani King on the beach' photo.

Now if I were to load it up here, do you think we are removed enough from NSC, to look and discuss it?
Are we still under the monitoring of the mods?
Or, worse still would Bozza be disappointed with us?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Ssssshhhhhh

I have access to a 'bikini clad Dani King on the beach' photo.

Now if I were to load it up here, do you think we are removed enough from NSC, to look and discuss it?
Are we still under the monitoring of the mods?
Or, worse still would Bozza be disappointed with us?

Took me about 10 seconds to find it on Google so probably unnecessary!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If 1066 had Kessiakoff then I'm quitting now!

To be totally honest with you, despite endless research, and believe me I've made research my new hobby :blush:, I hadn't even realised Kessiakoff was racing! (double blush)
De Gendt and Gesink were the two I'd considered for today in that sort of price range, although I probably couldn't have afforded Gesink. Had considered keeping Valverde in as I suspected he might Top Ten but no way would I have dreamt he'd finish 4th for the stage...top top ride from him there.

Best thing today for me to comfort the revelation that Froome looks cooked, was the ride by J Rod. So pleased to see him keep the leaders jersey. As I said previously, if Froome doesn't win this Vuelta (and it's not looking good for him now) then I'd absolutely love to see Purito hang in there and take it instead. Sets up more great racing as he'll be out for every single stage finish time bonus he can get. What a fantastic race this is turning out to be...living up to all the billing of being a bit of a classic. I'm absolutely loving it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's not really any competition in the best Spaniard category.
J-Rod, or drugs cheat Contador, or drugs cheat AVV.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Quite.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Right then cycling experts, does Froome seemingly dropping off add even more credit to Wiggins TdF victory? There seemed to be murmurings that Froome could have challenged if he was unleashed, I never believed that and felt Froome was making great shows of his keenness for the camera's when only a few km before he was looking like he was struggling at times. Wiggins was so steady, so clinical, perhaps we'll look back and it will appear an even better win in retrospect.

Will a poor finish to the Vuelta from Froome inevitably lead to Sky putting all their muscle behind Wiggin's again in the TdF next year, or is this premature to call it? Wiggins will surely want to defend his title, but if this apparent agreement to let Froome have a go is in place, surely Froome needs a big finish now?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Right then cycling experts, does Froome seemingly dropping off add even more credit to Wiggins TdF victory? There seemed to be murmurings that Froome could have challenged if he was unleashed, I never believed that and felt Froome was making great shows of his keenness for the camera's when only a few km before he was looking like he was struggling at times. Wiggins was so steady, so clinical, perhaps we'll look back and it will appear an even better win in retrospect.

Will a poor finish to the Vuelta from Froome inevitably lead to Sky putting all their muscle behind Wiggin's again in the TdF next year, or is this premature to call it? Wiggins will surely want to defend his title, but if this apparent agreement to let Froome have a go is in place, surely Froome needs a big finish now?

Difficult to say as Froome would have peaked for the tour then tried to hold form through the Olympics and into another brutal 3 week race. Brad would likely have lost small amounts on such steep stage finishes, with insufficient TT kms to make up the time.

Sky will wait for the tour route prior to choosing a leader. With Contador in form it'll be tough to beat him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pretty much that.
Although I don't think Froome was peaking for Le Tour, as he very nearly didn't even make it.
He barely rode a bike between last years Vuelta and this years tour.

For me the interesting time will come after the Vuelta and before the tour route is announced.
If Froome were to go anywhere else it will be in that time period.

I just can't see the 100th Tour favouring Wiggins, he had a perfect storm this year, and Contador will next.

Wiggins tour win is down to planning planning and planning.
I'd love to know what attention to detail Sky have put into this Vuelta.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As the subject has come up.

Does anyone think there will be a TTT in next years tour?

We are starting in Corsia.
It has to be a greatest hits tour, Alp d'Heuz, Ventoux, Pau, Bordeaux etc.

But with Le Tour's love/hate relationship with TTT, and what's likely to be a massive lack of TT miles in general, will they put one in?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As the subject has come up.

Does anyone think there will be a TTT in next years tour?

We are starting in Corsia.
It has to be a greatest hits tour, Alp d'Heuz, Ventoux, Pau, Bordeaux etc.

But with Le Tour's love/hate relationship with TTT, and what's likely to be a massive lack of TT miles in general, will they put one in?

My guess would be, Yes.

As for the Froome/Wiggins Tour question. Wiggins win was solid, mainly because it did have his name stamped on it with all those TT's in there. He was a stronger rider than Froome simply because he's a better TT'er and has a good engine up climbs, despite lacking a kick, and the strongest team behind him. Take Froome out of that team and Wiggins still would have won I reckon. Put Froome in a different team against Wiggins and the Sky train and Wiggins still would have won. As immense as Froome was, it wasn't his work alone that won that Tour for Wiggins, despite what some of the naysayers may try to have us believe.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
My guess would be, Yes.

As for the Froome/Wiggins Tour question. Wiggins win was solid, mainly because it did have his name stamped on it with all those TT's in there. He was a stronger rider than Froome simply because he's a better TT'er and has a good engine up climbs, despite lacking a kick, and the strongest team behind him. Take Froome out of that team and Wiggins still would have won I reckon. Put Froome in a different team against Wiggins and the Sky train and Wiggins still would have won. As immense as Froome was, it wasn't his work alone that won that Tour for Wiggins, despite what some of the naysayers may try to have us believe.

Froome wasn't 2 minutes better than Brad (I've excluded the time he lost from the puncture) in the mountains.

Brad's problem for next year will be the constant attacks to make him crack before any tt. Contador and schleck will be back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brad's problem will be all the mountains and less than 50kms TT.

That's even before this Vuelta has possibly changed the face of grand tour stage profiles.
Albeit 2 years after Prudomme has said he's wanting new short tough climbs scattered throughout Le Tour.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and yes CF's showboating this year was exactly that, and somewhat classless to boot.

It did go someway to cheapen his own efforts, as 1066 says Brad would have won, this year, but CF certainly made it easier for him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My guess would be, Yes.

Would have been interesting to see what Wiggins would have done had he not gained the advantage in the first TT stage win, I always thought he had more to give and some in reserve thereafter. As it was he played it tactically perfect. When you say constant attacks for the next one, will this happen so much on a completely clean tour? Certainly wasn't the predicted number of attacks launched in this years leading to some complaining of boring stages.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Brad's problem will be all the mountains and less than 50kms TT.

That's even before this Vuelta has possibly changed the face of grand tour stage profiles.
Albeit 2 years after Prudomme has said he's wanting new short tough climbs scattered throughout Le Tour.

And I bet all the sad miserable gits over at the other place will still moan about it! :nono:

Can you believe there's still plenty on there moaning about the make up of this Vuelta (probably the same one's that kept going on about "Le Bore de France" this year.) I really don't know what it will take to make some of those people happy. They'd be best just giving up watching cycling altogether I reckon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mid thread Poll:
Do you think Contador is still cheating, yes or no?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's an interesting time to watch cycling.

This years tour is deemed boring because it followed the Indurain/Armstrong blueprint, for success.

Everybody connected to elite road cycling will need to re think and look at their strategies, if they want 'exciting' racing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And I bet all the sad miserable gits over at the other place will still moan about it! :nono:

Can you believe there's still plenty on there moaning about the make up of this Vuelta (probably the same one's that kept going on about "Le Bore de France" this year.) I really don't know what it will take to make some of those people happy. They'd be best just giving up watching cycling altogether I reckon.
I've not caught any moaning about the Vuelta.
To have 4 favourites going at each other from stage 1 and not being happy, seems a little odd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here