Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
We ride to the stadium match days, was amazed at the number of bikes there Friday, i'm guessing it will be the same Tuesday, a word of caution though if you are riding, we left our bikes locked to a fence, when we came back someone had tried to pinch them, Hubbys quick release had been opened, and my chain was off. Luckily he always makes sure wheels and frames are secured. Think someone tried to take them, couldnt, tried to take his wheel. Luckily he noticed before riding off down the A27.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
After a few unsuccessful attempts at winning road bikes on eBay it looks like I may have come up trumps with the B.T.W Scheme. Found the 2016 Giant Defy 4 is available which would suit my daily commute (& occasional proper ride) perfectly...and at £285 its a bargain. Fingers crossed it goes through....

Should see me climb up the Geeks Strava table a bit more too if I get some regular miles in each week! ;o)

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
How long does it take you geeks to cycle 15 miles?

Just done 15 miles and taken me 1 hour 45 minutes. Is that good going or do I need to get fitter, there were 5 hills I had to climb.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd be pleased with 45 minutes.
Disappointed with 1 hour.

1 hour 45 mins, dunno - that ain't ever gonna happen.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'd be pleased with 45 minutes.
Disappointed with 1 hour.

1 hour 45 mins, dunno - that ain't ever gonna happen.

Its all relative though. My standard commute is about 15 miles and I just have to do it in under an hour. That has a climb that isn't long or steep but is one that I just can't master for some reason. If my commute had five of them buggers, I'd be stuffed.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
At the moment yes, I'd be pleased if I could even get on my bike. :shrug:

Some of the best weather we've had for a while what's stopping you?? Don't get me wrong, when your hearts not in it and all that. I've had a week off, and fecking loved every minute of riding.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some of the best weather we've had for a while what's stopping you?? Don't get me wrong, when your hearts not in it and all that. I've had a week off, and fecking loved every minute of riding.
I've not been 'right' for ages.
That's escalating through the NHS (god bless them) which in now feeling a little out of control.
I'm saying 'what am I doing here?', they are replying 'well I'm just acting on the GP referral, but as you're here...' then upping the anti.
To the point now I'm waiting on a date for an (unwanted) MRI scan.

I know this'll eventually end up with an all clear, but in the meantime the little internal voice of doom will have turned me inside out.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
That's escalating through the NHS (god bless them) which in now feeling a little out of control.
I'm saying 'what am I doing here?', they are replying 'well I'm just acting on the GP referral, but as you're here...' then upping the anti.

I know this'll eventually end up with an all clear, but in the meantime the little internal voice of doom will have turned me inside out.

Ah, I let you off then. :) I hope you get sorted soon.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

You ok, Stat? That sounds worrying...

Positive vibes being sent your way.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
How long does it take you geeks to cycle 15 miles?

Just done 15 miles and taken me 1 hour 45 minutes. Is that good going or do I need to get fitter, there were 5 hills I had to climb.

The thing here is the hills, so its difficult to compare when using different routes. I would expect to do 15 miles in just under an hour if there was a say one climb of the beacon involved, but that time would plummet or increase depending on what the rest of the route is like hill wise. If you are on a circular route going up and then down hills the negative impact on speed can be largly negated, however on a one way trip with more up than down, times are going to be considerably slower and vice versa.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You ok, Stat? That sounds worrying...

Positive vibes being sent your way.
I'm sure I'm fine and am now in an malingering spiral of doom-mongery.
My inner chimp isn't the happiest creature at the best of times :lol:

I keep nearly 'getting away with it' and then I'll give a seemingly random lite answer to an innocuous question to which the response is another page of notes.

As said I don't think it's anything to worry about, I probably shouldn't have said anything.

It's just the NHS being brilliant, and wanting to cover all bases.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My inner chimp isn't the happiest creature at the best of times :lol:

I keep nearly 'getting away with it' and then I'll give a seemingly random lite answer to an innocuous question to which the response is another page of notes.

As said I don't think it's anything to worry about, I probably shouldn't have said anything.

It's just the NHS being brilliant, and wanting to cover all bases.

Yep, they are fantastic, especially given their financial constraints.

Anyway, all the best matey.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Statistically, you are correct but until you get told to sod off because there's nothing wrong with you, it is human to cack yourself a bit.
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], saw your new residence at the end of a bus map I was reading last week. I think for 2 euros you can get to Collioure which is ace. You are in for a right treat down there.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Bike being ordered tomorrow! Only available in the white...but not going to worry about that!

Attachments

• mdb-12209_defy4white.jpg
    mdb-12209_defy4white.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 102

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Surprised no one has even mentioned that the Vuelta starts tomorrow. Promises to be much more exciting than the TdF as it's a lot more open.

I've picked a fantasy team. If anyone fancies setting up a Geeks league again then I'll be in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surprised no one has even mentioned that the Vuelta starts tomorrow. Promises to be much more exciting than the TdF as it's a lot more open.

I've picked a fantasy team. If anyone fancies setting up a Geeks league again then I'll be in.
I didn't even know it was starting tomorrow until I was told yesterday!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here