Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The racing over there is fantastic. I did 2 lots of week long races there when I was 13/14 and loved it.

Will do, the final position is normally decided how go they are the time trial, not sure that is her strength, but I am sure she will finish the classic and criterium stages in a good possition. She races in cat 6 which is girls born in 2002 14 and under it is very competitive.

This will be the third year she has have done it and it is a fantatastic experience. She does lots of racing in the uk, north west tour etc but this is different class. If she is on form she is properly top 3 - 6 nationally in u14 girls.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The racing over there is fantastic. I did 2 lots of week long races there when I was 13/14 and loved it.

It really isfantastic , if nothing else it worth doing it just for the experience such a great country. Everyone seems to embrace it.

When you where there was it part of the junior tour? I am not sugesting you are old but it is in 52 year.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
It really isfantastic , if nothing else it worth doing it just for the experience such a great country. Everyone seems to embrace it.

When you where there was it part of the junior tour? I am not sugesting you are old but it is in 52 year.
I am a bit old now - it was in Helmond not Assen and it was 1993 and 1994.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had to watch today's stage while on the phone so I only really got the jist of the stage.

Some really good racing, in a stunning part of the world.
It reminded me, a little, of when Le Tour was in Corsica.
High praise indeed as I'm yet to see anywhere else that looked as good for riding, as there.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I had to watch today's stage while on the phone so I only really got the jist of the stage.

High praise indeed as I'm yet to see anywhere else that looked as good for riding, as there.

Corsica is incredible, really hard work though, not a flat metre on the whole island and really rough roads. Also don't go too near the edge, crumbling roadsides with no barriers next to several hundred metres of fall are disconcertingly common :eek:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

See, you really should get yourself over to East Sussex.

Seriously though. Italy certainly is a lovely looking country. Knocks spots off of that horrible dry parched Vuelta scenery.

Tomorrow's stage might throw up some decent racing too. A lot lumpier than the profile would suggest apparently. We need a very decent strong break though if the sprinter teams aren't to bring it all back together again. I'd guess at about 80% chance of bunch sprint, but it is an uphill sprint so it might not all go Kittel's way.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Seriously though. Italy certainly is a lovely looking country. Knocks spots off of that horrible dry parched Vuelta scenery.

Your not wrong, though holding the Vuelta after a summer of baking temperatures does not really help it. Also the Basque country is one hell of a beautiful place.

Tomorrow's stage might throw up some decent racing too. A lot lumpier than the profile would suggest apparently. We need a very decent strong break though if the sprinter teams aren't to bring it all back together again. I'd guess at about 80% chance of bunch sprint, but it is an uphill sprint so it might not all go Kittel's way.[/QUOTE]

As to tomorrow, no chance for the break. Giant will want to keep Dumoulin in pink this time, and Ettixx will want to get Kittel another win, between those two I think the break will get little rope. The mountain classifications are always hilarious once you have started a Giro in the Netherlands. Stage 2 had a GPM point for a 74 metre rise and stage 3 for a 63 metre rise, yet today's final climb featuring sections at 18%? Nah, that is just a normal road.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
See, you really should get yourself over to East Sussex.
After today it'll be a long time before I return to East Sussex.

In chronological order:-

- It pee'd down from the moment I crossed the boarder, to the moment I left.
- I was following Colin's route which was proper shitehouse.
- At Eastbourne pier my left cleat all but came off stopping me from unclipping on my preferred foot, and giving me 360 degree float.
- Visibility heading out of E/Bourne was so bad I couldn't go down to Beachy Head for fear of riding over the edge.
- With 90 miles on the clock some punkass kid blasted past me on Worthing seafront then looked over his shoulder at me every 100 yards, while not extending the gap. He only rode 2 miles and PB'ed the first one. I'm now desperately trying not to be 'that' knob and call him out on Strava :lol:
- When in I broke my Garmin clippy onto thing.

Granted the last 2 technically aren't East Sussex's fault, but that's not going to stop me blaming it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

- At Eastbourne pier my left cleat all but came off stopping me from unclipping on my preferred foot, and giving me 360 degree float.
- Visibility heading out of E/Bourne was so bad I couldn't go down to Beachy Head for fear of riding over the edge.
- With 90 miles on the clock some punkass kid blasted past me on Worthing seafront then looked over his shoulder at me every 100 yards, while not extending the gap. He only rode 2 miles and PB'ed the first one. I'm now desperately trying not to be 'that' knob and call him out on Strava :lol:

Granted the last 2 technically aren't East Sussex's fault, but that's not going to stop me blaming it.

Worthing is technically not East Sussex's fault!? :shrug:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Your not wrong, though holding the Vuelta after a summer of baking temperatures does not really help it. Also the Basque country is one hell of a beautiful place.

Tomorrow's stage might throw up some decent racing too. A lot lumpier than the profile would suggest apparently. We need a very decent strong break though if the sprinter teams aren't to bring it all back together again. I'd guess at about 80% chance of bunch sprint, but it is an uphill sprint so it might not all go Kittel's way.

As to tomorrow, no chance for the break. Giant will want to keep Dumoulin in pink this time, and Ettixx will want to get Kittel another win, between those two I think the break will get little rope. The mountain classifications are always hilarious once you have started a Giro in the Netherlands. Stage 2 had a GPM point for a 74 metre rise and stage 3 for a 63 metre rise, yet today's final climb featuring sections at 18%? Nah, that is just a normal road.[/QUOTE]

And tomorrow has several little climbs that are given no classification whatsoever, although none come anywhere close to 18%. Trouble is there are no climbs after 60km to go, and we have a city circuit before the finish too, so yeah, ok, 90% chance of a bunch sprint. :(

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

So you come all the way over to East Sussex, miss out all the best bits and make Eastbourne the centre of attention :lolol:

I mean, EASTBOURNE ffs! :facepalm:

Chapeau anyway on the 100 :clap2:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Wish they would stop starting the Giro in such rubbish places. The two recent dutch starts have both been really boring, the danish start likewise. The Northern Ireland wasn't great either, bar Garmin trying to wipe their whole team out on the first day. Italy has the best geography for cycling in the world, why bother going anywhere else?

Ha, you're going to love 2018 starting in Japan!!! From inrg.com

"The piece mentions the Shizuoka prefecture and Mount Fuji. 2 rest days to help with transport, €35 million for RCS with €250-500k for teams"

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Ha, you're going to love 2018 starting in Japan!!! From inrg.com

"The piece mentions the Shizuoka prefecture and Mount Fuji. 2 rest days to help with transport, €35 million for RCS with €250-500k for teams"

At least there is a chance of some interesting topography in Japan. But other than that it is ridiculous, two rest days? Start on Thursday then? It is too far, it will just feel like a seperate event.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Having only just discovered that JC Peraud was the 1st to abandon the Giro at the weekend (I haven't seen any of the race yet unfortunately), do I get some sort of prize for picking a rider in my fantasy team with the quickest abandonment of this years edition?! :eek:)
Forgot you cant do transfers either, so doing the whole thing with 8 riders!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I wont spoil the stage result for anyone, but just watched Taaramae crash with 1km left....someone out there is determined to make sure my Fantasy Team is screwed before we get to the big stages! :eek:(

I blame Mike Dean.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I wont spoil the stage result for anyone, but just watched Taaramae crash with 1km left....someone out there is determined to make sure my Fantasy Team is screwed before we get to the big stages! :eek:(

I blame Mike Dean.

I don't think it was Taraamae, more likely to be Porsev up there in that position.

I'm glad I never worked in Mareczko as my dark horse extra sprinter. He's been poor and sadly for him abandoned today due to illness. Perhaps that's why he's been poor from the beginning of the race.

Good finish today. Happy for the winner. Oh... and Jungels is a beast! :)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

I blame Mike Dean.

I'm down one as well. Fraile is out, I suppose unsurprisingly with a name like that...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here