Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Hello latex clad people , i have been given a Trek 2000 roadbike , with soppy skinny tyres that look like they would puncture if they hit a grain of sand , now i'm a total novice and simply can not ride a bike with the handlebars in their usual road style position due to a lower back injury , i would however like to start gentle rides to regain some cardio fitness , so my question is can i reverse the handlebars to a upright position and still ride it ? or is that unsafe , cheers .

Re pumping up tyres to high psi - get a track pump its so much easier

I used to get my stems and bars changed all the time as I smaller and I needed a more compact unit, it didn't cost much at all to do just however much you wanted to spend on the bars - break handles etc

You can also get a whole range of inner tubes and stuff that goes inside them to protect and repair against punctures - not for the road racers but often work for the more recreational cyclist who wants to get home before changing an inner tube. I always found to was the wet weather that caused me punctures when grit sticks to the wheel, at every stop I got in the habit of spinning the wheels and removing grit and stones with my cycling gloves.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Re pumping up tyres to high psi - get a track pump its so much easier

I used to get my stems and bars changed all the time as I smaller and I needed a more compact unit, it didn't cost much at all to do just however much you wanted to spend on the bars - break handles etc

You can also get a whole range of inner tubes and stuff that goes inside them to protect and repair against punctures - not for the road racers but often work for the more recreational cyclist who wants to get home before changing an inner tube. I always found to was the wet weather that caused me punctures when grit sticks to the wheel, at every stop I got in the habit of spinning the wheels and removing grit and stones with my cycling gloves.

For comfort 100psi is probably a bit high.

"Endurance" type road tyres are seriously puncture resistant - I ride my Continental gatorskins across glass-strewn bike paths in central Southampton and have yet to puncture them. Again, your local bike shop will have a similar. Get 25mm or 28mm tyres (if they'll fit) and pump to 80psi or so - this should provide good puncture resistance, comfort, handling etc.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Ok thanks for the tips , once i have sorted the handlebars out i will try and get to grips with changing gears with my brake levers ! mental .

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Ok thanks for the tips , once i have sorted the handlebars out i will try and get to grips with changing gears with my brake levers ! mental .

The bike shop could convert them very easy when they change the handlebars, again they are so cheap now for a simple shift or twist set, will make your riding much more comfortable.

Your be in cleats before you know it

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Indeed, I did not realise that the final climb was so steep. Hatta Dam is one thing, Kittel can empty the tank up a short sharp final climb, but can he do that then still have enough for a sprint 9km later? I very much doubt it. 18% max on this climb, no chance Kittel. I fancy Colbrelli for this one. 8-1 on Bet 365 but available at 14s in places.

I agree, I'd bet on Kittel being dropped here too, but stranger things have happened.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I'd try your drop handlebars out for a bit first if I were you, as you might be surprised how comfy they are. You have much more position options (on the tops, hoods or drops) than you'll ever have with a flatbar.

I too have a bad back history due to too many years hod carrying, but I find a road bike quite comfortable in a fairly upright position, even over long distances.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'd try your drop handlebars out for a bit first if I were you, as you might be surprised how comfy they are. You have much more position options (on the tops, hoods or drops) than you'll ever have with a flatbar.

I too have a bad back history due to too many years hod carrying, but I find a road bike quite comfortable in a fairly upright position, even over long distances.

Thanks for that , i did try the drop bar position and I lasted 5-10 minutes then had to get off , my injury is quite new so that may be why but i simply could not maintain that position without intense pain .

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Canondale.JPG

My husband built this bike for my daughter to race on in Assen this year. I think it look fab. :love:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
On Eurosport they showed J-A Flecha doing the final climb, it looks seriously difficult. If Kittel makes it up there I will be astounded. Maybe Amador for pink tonight.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
That's a cracker. She deserves to win on that.

Thanks. There is no way I could ride that bike as I am way too slow and would look a prat.

The race in Assen is a junior tour over 6 days, some of the children from other countries have sponsorship from Rabobank as well others. They turn up on some incredibly flash machines so it will not look out of place there. She is a strong rider so it will be good to see how it goes.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Great racing today with the stage living up to expectations.
Catch those highlights people!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Proper stage today at the Giro, at last. Worth watching from 50km out I would say.

Wish they would stop starting the Giro in such rubbish places. The two recent dutch starts have both been really boring, the danish start likewise. The Northern Ireland wasn't great either, bar Garmin trying to wipe their whole team out on the first day. Italy has the best geography for cycling in the world, why bother going anywhere else?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The race in Assen is a junior tour over 6 days, some of the children from other countries have sponsorship from Rabobank as well others. They turn up on some incredibly flash machines so it will not look out of place there. She is a strong rider so it will be good to see how it goes.

Let us know how she gets on.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Thanks. There is no way I could ride that bike as I am way too slow and would look a prat.

The racing over there is fantastic. I did 2 lots of week long races there when I was 13/14 and loved it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here