Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Some big names in a crash today. Martin, Bouhanni, Gerrans and TJVG to name a few. TJ already confirmed as abandoned as a result. Poor bloke isn't having a lot of luck.
Edit: Martin and Bouhanni confirmed as out as well.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey!, what a stage that was! :ohmy:

Martin, TJVG, Bouhanni all out and Sagan dealt a blow by a motorbike it seems - no wonder he was absolutely livid. Glad Boeckmans is ok and sitting up in hospital as that sounded scary.

Then to cap it all Bilbao goes and gets 2nd place :facepalm: Glad I haven't bothered actually betting on this Vuelta so far.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sagan is a DNS today.
Ostensibly because of the outrageous incident of being knocked off his bike by a moto and the injuries he suffered as a result. Truth is he was probably always going home after tomorrow anyway to prepare for the Worlds.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Satan is DNS today.
Ostensibly because of the outrageous incident of being knocked off his bike by a moto and the injuries he suffered as a result. Truth is he was probably always going home after tomorrow anyway to prepare for the Worlds.

Love the typo.

It now looks like he's gone home on a strop India's of leaving early to prepare for the worlds.

I feel sorry for the organisers of the vuelta. They always get the short straw on riders leaving early to prep for the worlds. Not sure they could legally do much about it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Love the typo.

It now looks like he's gone home on a strop India's of leaving early to prepare for the worlds.

I feel sorry for the organisers of the vuelta. They always get the short straw on riders leaving early to prep for the worlds. Not sure they could legally do much about it.

Predictive text on the phone.
I think Sagan has every right to be in a strop. It's not the first time riders have been hit by race vehicles and sooner or later someone's going to get seriously injured. I hope the team do indeed go ahead and take legal action. Sagan being fined for his understandable reaction just adds insult to injury...literally!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Predictive text on the phone.
I think Sagan has every right to be in a strop. It's not the first time riders have been hit by race vehicles and sooner or later someone's going to get seriously injured. I hope the team do indeed go ahead and take legal action. Sagan being fined for his understandable reaction just adds insult to injury...literally!
Yeah, as I said during the tour it feels like this year has seen way more motorbike vs cyclist accidents. 1 per year is stupid, we must be almost in double figures by now.

He's got every right to be cross, and his injuries looked pretty sore.

I'm not sure who they are hoping to sue? The pilot, the organisers, the UCI?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've finally managed to watch the last 50 kms of a stage, and today's is a cracker.

So good in fact it even had me routing for Carlton Kirby.
He may well be a god awful commentator for the other 150kms.
Not to mention being pretty piss-poor from the moment the line is crossed.
He's also terrible for the final kilometre, but at least he's properly committed to the action.

He did a decent job calling (screaming) them home and raising the excitement.

I have my first ride in nearly 2 weeks tomorrow.
That'll be 2 weeks of near inactivity and loads of food, it's going to be messy.

Esp after today as we went to Airhop trampoline park in Guildford and I followed that up with 'The Warrior' from TGI Friday's.

So now my back, neck, knees, right shoulder and belly are all in pain.
It'll be a tough day in the saddle.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Got a question for everybody please.

I am going to take my bikes for a service, what bike shop would you recommend me taking them to?
They are not the most expensive of bikes but would like a thorough inspection.
Any recommendations would be brilliant.
thanks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for clearing that up. I actually didn't know. I was getting strange search results on Google.
Cheers for the link
The old boy at http://www.msgbikes.com/The-Workshop Lancing is proper head mentals about bikes, he makes us look like rank amateurs.
If your bike is worth the expense I don't, for one minute, think they will let you down.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So another mentals day of racing in the Vuelta...who'd have thunk it!? :lol: Got to love this GT for throwing up the unexpected.

I had faith that Dumoulin would be really strong in this race after crashing out so early of the Tour, but no way could anyone have predicted what happened today! Felt a little bit like deja vu with the way G was climbing in the Tour. Both capable going uphill, but far exceeding usual expectation to the point of eyebrow raising even. I suppose we have to keep faith with Dumoulin's own assessment that he's lost weight yet retained the same power hence the strength going uphill.

Wednesday will be very interesting now, even more so than it would have been already. Surely on such a mental parcours Tom Dumoulin would do very well to limit any loses to less than a good couple of minutes, but with so many variables in this race as regards to the condition of various riders it's hard to say what will happen. With an ITT coming up he'll surely be thinking the impossible now at least anyway.

Would like to see Chaves claim another stage win further down the line as consolation for losing the jersey today. Would be a very popular stage winner, right up there with Meintjes who's continuing to deliver in this race on the promise we all know he has.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have my first ride in nearly 2 weeks tomorrow.
That'll be 2 weeks of near inactivity and loads of food, it's going to be messy.

Esp after today as we went to Airhop trampoline park in Guildford and I followed that up with 'The Warrior' from TGI Friday's.

So now my back, neck, knees, right shoulder and belly are all in pain.
It'll be a tough day in the saddle.

You think you should worry?!

I haven't been on a proper ride for a good 2 months now. The daily commute doesn't count as it's very short and pretty much downhill all the way home anyway. Rides with the kids are just that as well, most times I'm literally free wheeling along.

I've also been laying into the food, especially cake, and I was a million miles behind you when I was actually riding. Added to that, I somehow acquired a knee injury and a month down the line it's still not right :(

My plan is for some gentle stuff alone soon, before hopefully more gentle stuff with mates, then embarrassing myself back on the chain gang when it resumes in the Autumn with the hope of getting back to something not quite so embarrassing come winter time.

Enjoy your ride tomorrow. At least the weather looks set to be dry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here