[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Lizzie in a different postcode.

:love:

Shame Cav couldn't get it but hey ho.
They knew armistead was different gravy, as soon as she went they were all soft pedalling and waiting for the sprint for 2nd.

Cant believe it's tour time already. I'm really looking forward to this year, plenty of interest on many counts. Should be enough people make it through the cobbles to actually battle in the mountains.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Once again, I have swollen glands. Once again, same day as long quite hard ride. Can't be a coincidence can it? Any ideas?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Once again, I have swollen glands. Once again, same day as long quite hard ride. Can't be a coincidence can it? Any ideas?

Right bang in the middle of hay fever season. Have you ever suffered from it before? Swollen glands can be a symptom. Just a thought.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Which glands?

#ohIsay

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Good thinking BS. My lad us having a bad summer for that. No more summer riding? Bollox to that.

Not those SB, this time.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Not even going to go there and talk about your glands Moto, but I will talk punctures with you having suffered a fair few myself recently.

Were they Conti tubes that wouldn't work with your pump on the road? I've had issues with the valves screwing out on those when used with my screw on pocket rocket pump out on the road. But they work fine at home on the clamp down track pump. Upshot is, I don't buy Conti tubes anymore and now go for Vittoria instead.

My punctures, all on the front wheel luckily, but two rides running and twice on the last ride (that wasn't the sole reason I bailed out at Ashford station last time out, but it didn't help either) were down to my shagged Vittoria Diamante Pro tyres I reckon. I've since binned those and got myself another pair of Vresdestein Fortezza Tricomp, just like on the Battaglin. The down side is I couldn't resist the red walled ones being about £7 each cheaper than the all black. I'd have preferred all black but at least SB can have his fun now. The red bar tape will be replaced with black eventually though :)

Top tip for puncture repairs - you need to get a Rema Tip Top repair kit and do the job properly. I've finally sussed that the key to success, on top of the usual steps, is to finish the repair off with another thin smear of glue around the edge of the finished patch. Plenty of chalk as the icing on the cake and the jobs a good 'un. Binning tubes just for the sake of a proper repair is both expensive and not very green.

Edit: Re results and news today. If Cav doesn't clean up at this year's Tour then something will have gone seriously a miss. He's in fine form, Kittel is not going to be there and now Bouhanni is out as well. Add to that Niki Terpstra is suddenly a sprinter :ohmy: and it's impossible to see how Cav can possibly lose.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good thinking BS. My lad us having a bad summer for that. No more summer riding? Bollox to that.

Not those SB, this time.

I've always suffered. Ceterizine Hydrochloride is my chosen antihistamine. Bombing along for 2 or 3 hours around country lanes and fields is pretty severe exposure. Might not be of course I'm no doctor, but I've had similar feeling of being ill, swollen glands this summer which passed after a day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Following on the health debate.

How are the cramp sufferers, from a few weeks ago, doing?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Edit: Re results and news today. If Cav doesn't clean up at this year's Tour then something will have gone seriously a miss. He's in fine form, Kittel is not going to be there and now Bouhanni is out as well. Add to that Niki Terpstra is suddenly a sprinter :ohmy: and it's impossible to see how Cav can possibly lose.

Should do, although I've had a quick look and there only seem to be about 5 possible sprint stages. A couple more where Kristoff (or Sagan!!) could hold on over the Cat 2s but not a lot more. If all goes well he may pick up 4 stages including the Champs.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just wanted to add an advert for a lovely Holdsworth 531 frame, 53cm, shimano 105 hubs, mechs, crank etc. Really lovely looking bike. Only thing out of place was the stem, but easily changed. I was there to buy a BMX for my son today at a place called The Durrington Cycle Project where they volunteer and teach people basic maintenance (opposite The Lamb pub Durrington).

If this bike was just a bit bigger (I'm 6') I'd have bought it for the £185. Maybe not everyones cup of tea, but a decent runaround / trainer. Thought it was a great price for the kit on it.

$_86.JPG

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Not those SB, this time.

I suffer early on with hayfever April/May time but never caused swollen glands, just a runny nose so just feels like riding in the winter. Sorry I can't be of anymore help.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm currently having a look at Le Tour odds on Sybet:-

7/2 - Tom Dumoulin first stage.
5/1 - 3 to 4:59 minutes winning margin.
5/2 - A Spech bike winning

To win outright, they have only 13 riders ahead of...

... Frank Schleck.

I'd be freakin insulted by that, even if I was Cav.
Christ knows what Dan Martin thinks.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
When do the geeks start the TOUR thread, lots to debate, liking the 10 Brits involved and possibly 5 Irish riders (not sure how many picked). I am struggling to get the official magazine so my kitchen door is still without the tour map to date.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Following on the health debate.

How are the cramp sufferers, from a few weeks ago, doing?

I had a couple of moments yesterday. Nothing much though, just a bit on the inside of right upper leg. That's partially to blame for me not hitting 16, but my pace was my best ever for a 50+ miler.

Thanks for the gland comments. The net tells me there's some infection going on somewhere. Got some cheap pills just in case pollen is involved. I expect the GP to 'reassure' me and do naff all.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
When do the geeks start the TOUR thread, lots to debate, liking the 10 Brits involved and possibly 5 Irish riders (not sure how many picked). I am struggling to get the official magazine so my kitchen door is still without the tour map to date.
Who gets the honour this year!

I can only think of 1 Irish - Roche. Who else?

Brits -
Cav
Dowsett
Froome
Rowe
Kennaugh
Thomas
Yates
Yates
?
?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'll put it together now.

Tour talk seems to get earlier each year.

As is customary, can we please leave the place tidy this year.
We don't want to be coming back in a months time and have to pick up moldy mugs and gel wrappers.
If someone can run a hoover round that'll be great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here