[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Hello strangers :wave:

Firstly the BBC have a decent interview with Cav:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/33222937

Secondly, I've just quantified my 2015 through my cycling (more = good, less = bad).
Having looked up my Strava stats, which I'm happy enough with, I'm now wondering where everybody else is at.

2773.7 miles
159.1 hours.
Climbing 126,677ft

Basically a [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] day out.
1562 miles, 60,000ft for me.

Stopped to help a guy who'd punctured today and gave him a tube. He was riding a BMC with dura ace di2 and Reynolds carbon wheels - "the patches don't seem to be working" he said. "are you out of tubes?" I asked. "no, I only brought some patches"

You can chuck money at cycling but you can't buy common sense!

Also occurred to me about 10 miles later that my valves wouldn't be long enough for his super expensive deep sections!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hello strangers :wave:

Firstly the BBC have a decent interview with Cav:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/33222937

Secondly, I've just quantified my 2015 through my cycling (more = good, less = bad).
Having looked up my Strava stats, which I'm happy enough with, I'm now wondering where everybody else is at.

2773.7 miles
159.1 hours.
Climbing 126,677ft

Basically a [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] day out.

Wow SB, great stuff. I'm on a pathetic looking 524 miles with 24000ft. :shrug:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Stopped to help a guy who'd punctured today and gave him a tube. He was riding a BMC with dura ace di2 and Reynolds carbon wheels - "the patches don't seem to be working" he said. "are you out of tubes?" I asked. "no, I only brought some patches"

Also occurred to me about 10 miles later that my valves wouldn't be long enough for his super expensive deep sections!

That is very funny. Did he have a cycling shirt that said 'All the Gear, No Idea!'

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Ha ha brilliant.
I guess you don't really need to carry a spare tube if you're just popping to Tesco Express.

Wow SB, great stuff. I'm on a pathetic looking 524 miles with 24000ft. :shrug:
That's one of my many problems riding with Colin.
He's over a 1,000 miles up on me, so I looked at my figure and thought 'not bad'.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Ha ha brilliant.
I guess you don't really need to carry a spare tube if you're just popping to Tesco Express.

He was a fair way into the forest, at least 4 miles from the nearest civilisation and seemed to be walking along the road to try and get a mobile signal!

When I gave him the tube he turned his (10 grands worth of) bike upside down on the road! [emoji33]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He was a fair way into the forest, at least 4 miles from the nearest civilisation and seemed to be walking along the road to try and get a mobile signal!

When I gave him the tube he turned his (10 grands worth of) bike upside down on the road! [emoji33]
:lol:
You should have snatched the tube back and screamed "THE RULES MAN, READ THE FREAKIN RULES".

Out one day last week, we crossed with a Sky FKW.
His hand came off the handlebars to give us a 'parish vicar' wave.
"he's a newbie", "yup".

Oh I love being a snob :lol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
[emoji38]
You should have snatched the tube back and screamed "THE RULES MAN, READ THE FREAKIN RULES".

Out one day last week, we crossed with a Sky FKW.
His hand came off the handlebars to give us a 'parish vicar' wave.
"he's a newbie", "yup".

Oh I love being a snob [emoji38]

The Rules should be issued with each Road bike purchase!

At least the guy waved, I shake my head at the ones that don't desperately trying not to look angry, just disappointed.

As you've guessed, I quite like being a snob as well. Unfortunately I can no longer back up my snobbery by being faster than all the JCLs!

On another note, I saw that after being caught for 4 minutes by dowsett, Bottrill said he's going to switch to triathlon! Wonder if anyone has ever done a 48 in the middle of a triathlon!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On another note, I saw that after being caught for 4 minutes by dowsett, Bottrill said he's going to switch to triathlon! Wonder if anyone has ever done a 48 in the middle of a triathlon!
I did a biathlon on Thursday.

500 metre swim followed by 30 mile ride.
The swim probably took longer, oh and I did watch an episode of Orange is the new Black in between, but that still counts, right?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I did a biathlon on Thursday.

500 metre swim followed by 30 mile ride.
The swim probably took longer, oh and I did watch an episode of Orange is the new Black in between, but that still counts, right?
I think strictly that's a deathly, unless you had a gun..... And some skiis!

Is that the new series of Orange?! I didn't realise it was out!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think strictly that's a deathly, unless you had a gun..... And some skiis!

Is that the new series of Orange?! I didn't realise it was out!
I had no need for a gun on Thursday, but Wednesday...'they' were all out on Wednesday, in their hot little metal boxes.

Yeah new series, it's ticking along well enough, if you like the flashback format.
Nothing 'explosive' has happened yet, but there's plenty of Crazy Eyes, so I'm happy as she's fantastic.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I had no need for a gun on Thursday, but Wednesday...'they' were all out on Wednesday, in their hot little metal boxes.

Yeah new series, it's ticking along well enough, if you like the flashback format.
Nothing 'explosive' has happened yet, but there's plenty of Crazy Eyes, so I'm happy as she's fantastic.
Love crazy eyes! SB I feel we share much common ground on cycling and TV. We should definitely do a new forest ride if you holiday down here again.

Of course that invite is extended to other geeks! [emoji4]

I feel I've digressed from the geeks mandate!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Love crazy eyes! SB I feel we share much common ground on cycling and TV. We should definitely do a new forest ride if you holiday down here again.

Of course that invite is extended to other geeks! [emoji4]

I feel I've digressed from the geeks mandate!
That you have, we could always swim across the solent!

A jaunt around the New Forest would be great fun.
Although I must warn you organising a ride in and around Brighton is tough enough.

Nice riding there [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION].

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My Holdsworth run around has just had a series of spokes go in the rear wheel (about 6 or 7 in a couple of days!). Aaron at Aaron's Bike Shop off Farm Road in Brighton quite likes the wheels and hubs and is going to replace all the spokes and true the wheel for £20, which I'm more than happy with.

Thing is the wheel is 26" and needs a 32mm tyre so my options are limited. Chatting with Aaron who restores a lot of bikes he reckoned he'd stick with the wheels as they go with the bike which isn't in great condition (bit of rust, dent in the top tube, seat post has been damaged by someone).

My thoughts are, do I go with that advice, or get splash out on say a set of Mavic Aksium One Clincher Wheelset (£144 for a set) so that I can start interchanging my tyres and tubes from the Bianchi? I then feel the Holdsworth will become much more of a training bike as well as my general run around / Amex commuter!

The Holdsworth has a Shimano 600 rear mech that could handle a 7 speed cassette (currently 5), but I guess what I need to find out is what the rear frame spacing can take in that regard. It's not going to be as easy as just being the Mavic's a cassette and off I go.

So I guess that would be getting on a £170 odd spend in the end. The other thought is get the wheel done, sell the Holdsworth and look for a similar vintage bike that has 700 wheels in the first place.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

photo 3.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here