Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Racing 3s currently £280 at Wiggle - struggling not to click the buy button...

I'm toying with the idea of eventually upgrading my Mavic Askiums and I saw that deal too. The white hubs killed it for me though, as pathetic and sad of me as that is. I have an all black with minimalist splashes of red going on, and I just can't bring myself to add white into the mix anywhere unfortunately.

For anyone with a white bike, or atleast some white going on...perfect! :thumbsup:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Just watched a programme on cycling on Sky 4hd. V.informative. didn't know about this show...thoughts?

Do you mean InCycle, Sky Sports 4? If so, I saw it to. Great programme. Mental note to self to put it on series link.

I'm writing to my MP about the Tour of Brittain not coming properly south this year. Even their own website has Madiera Drive as the main photo.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Do you mean InCycle, Sky Sports 4? If so, I saw it to. Great programme. Mental note to self to put it on series link.

I'm writing to my MP about the Tour of Brittain not coming properly south this year. Even their own website has Madiera Drive as the main photo.
Got to rotate round a bit!

Would love it to come through the new forest. The NIMBYs round here might finally explode!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Finally got back out on a chain gang ride last night, having been spat out the back alarmingly early on my first attempt in December. I promise not to bore you all with further reports after this one, but just wanted to give a little follow up to my report from last time round.

Must have been a good 30 riders there last night and this time I was a bit more hopeful of at least holding on for longer if nothing else. Once the handful of 'super fasts' set off the rest of us set off in about two loose large groups, which very soon all came back together, minus the super fasts, at a road works red light. It felt really exciting riding in such a large fast moving group and this time I seemed to have the confidence to get up nearer to the front so I didn't end up right off the back of the last group on the road. The pace at the front soon got pretty rapid and I ended up at one point going round a couple of dropped riders and ending up in no mans land trying to catch a reasonably sized quick group at the front. I soon gave that idea up as a lost cause and eased back a tad for any help coming through as there were still some riders behind. Once the first rider came round me I was on his wheel and determined not to lose it. Soon a few more came round us and then we were a group of about 7 that had me blowing, spinning at around 100rpm mostly, but feeling surprisingly good, adrenalin really pumping. Thankfully I managed to stay with that group and took proper turns at the front as we got a fairly smooth chain going. The turnaround was reasonably quick and the return leg equally exciting as part of a smaller, looser formed group and picking dropped riders up here and there along the way.

As I said before, this chain gang business is the nearest I'll ever get to the feeling of being in a proper race I suppose, and I can see how that kind of riding could become very addictive. I still can't get near some of the riders there, and I never will, but I'm well chuffed with how my confidence levels and general strength seem to have come on in just a few months, as the hat full of PB's from the ride appear to bear out. Having a dry night last night with very little wind helped massively too. Here's hoping for similar weather next Wednesday so I can go back for more.

P.S Not trying to rub it in Moto. See this more as encouragement because I too was down with a bug only the other week, yet the resulting rest time has got me feeling better than ever now. You've got some good times on the bike ahead to look forward to and hopefully it will coincide nicely with warmer weather :thumbsup: Get well soon.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Nice one 10. Reading that and just google-streetviewing my way up my holiday 'mountain' has cheered me up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Milan San Remo on Sunday.

Always tough to call.

The BBC has the weather as being pretty much ideal, as they get away from Milan.
Tailwind, 10 degrees and overcast.

I want to call Degenkolb, but I just can't work out a scenario where he's the strongest rider with 1km to go.

Heart says Cav.
Swift would be nice.
Head says Kristoff.
Oddschecker says there's big money to be made if a break succeeds
http://www.oddschecker.com/cycling/one-day-classics/milan-san-remo/winner

If that were the case I always think Navardauskas has more than a touch of the Stannards about him.
Although I can't see that happening on Sunday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey fellow chunky monkey geeks on a budget.
I bought this jersey for £30, and very nice it is too:-

http://stolengoat.com/product/stolen-goat-bodyline-jersey-blue/

For £60 I'd like a bit more 'show'.
But for £30 first impressions make it seem like an absolute steal.
Hopefully I'll wear it later, to see if it's comfy when riding in it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well done geeks, even with the weather moans we still clocked up 300+ miles today.

Special Kudos to [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION] for his 5,051 feet of climbing.

I can't help thinking Milan San Remo on the tellybox tomorrow influenced your ride today.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well done geeks, even with the weather moans we still clocked up 300+ miles today.

Special Kudos to [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION] for his 5,051 feet of climbing.

I can't help thinking Milan San Remo on the tellybox tomorrow influenced your ride today.

Thanks SB. You're not wrong re: Milan San Remo :lol:

I actually bit off slightly more than I'd bargained for today and unfortunately only made it back in time for 2nd half commentary of the Blackburn game. Fact is, I was able to live with that, whereas I wouldn't have even taken that gamble on missing a live classics race.

Most likely another sprint finish tomorrow unless GVA & Gilbert can pull off an old one two move and take advantage of the shortened finish from the bottom of the Poggio.
There could be value in Lobato at 16/1 and even Ben Swift at 50/1, possibly. I won't be bothering on the short odds of Cav & Kristoff et al.

Edit: Bollox!, Just had a look and Swift's odds have shortened dramatically from last night. Now at 22's on PP, or worse, 14's on WH :nono:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Anyone watching?

Sky falling off their bikes again!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey, Sky make crashing on descents into a team trademark :facepalm:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Kristoff in trouble! Wasn't expecting that, this early.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Sky using up their riders a bit too early for my taste. Just G and Swift left with 23km to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here