Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Was watching some GCN youtube videos last night as they're always good, especially their race stage previews.

Discovered this one last night and it had me in stitches. They nail every single one here :lolol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

There certainly are, but it's worth remembering that for every sicko there's plenty of lovely people out there too.

Following on from my kind lady tale from my century ride recently, I had another nice encounter tonight.

Dropped my chain at the bottom of Chick Hill in my enthusiasm for a quick smooth drop to the small ring. Pitch black by now with no street lights but I got the chain back on and miraculously clipped back in just about whilst setting off up towards the 25% bit. Anyway, got to the top and discovered I'd knocked my cadence sensor out of line, and I'm a bit anal about recording that these days. Stop at the side of the road in front of a big hedge and by a small garden gate. Hear a rustling sound as I'm trying to sort the sensor and then a woman's voice calls out form the darkness... " Are you ok there, need any help?" I respond that I'm fine, just tweaking something, to which she says " Well I'm a cyclist too and just wanted to know you was ok. If you need to come into our garage to fix anything in the light then you're very welcome".

How lovely is that then?! I couldn't even see the woman as she was behind the hedge and it was pitch black. Just a friendly voice seeing that I was ok. Moments like that always warm the cockles of my heart.

Thinking about it, given the proximity of her house to the top of Chick Hill, I wouldn't mind betting she's taken in the odd poor soul on the verge of a heart attack from the effort of getting up that bloody hill :lol:

Last edited:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Their certainly are, but it's worth remembering that for every sicko there's plenty of lovely people out there too.

Following on from my kind lady tale from my century ride recently, I had another nice encounter tonight.

Dropped my chain at the bottom of Chick Hill in my enthusiasm for a quick smooth drop to the small ring. Pitch black by now with no street lights but I got the chain back on and miraculously clipped back in just about whilst setting off up towards the 25% bit. Anyway, got to the top and discovered I'd knocked my cadence sensor out of line, and I'm a bit anal about recording that these days. Stop at the side of the road in front of a big hedge and by a small garden gate. Hear a rustling sound as I'm trying to sort the sensor and then a woman's voice calls out form the darkness... " Are you ok there, need any help?" I respond that I'm fine, just tweaking something, to which she says " Well I'm a cyclist too and just wanted to know you was ok. If you need to come into our garage to fix anything in the light then you're very welcome".

How lovely is that then?! I couldn't even see the woman as she was behind the hedge and it was pitch black. Just a friendly voice seeing that I was ok. Moments like that always warm the cockles of my heart.

Thinking about it, given the proximity of her house to the top of Chick Hill, I wouldn't mind betting she's taken in the odd poor soul on the verge of a heart attack from the effort of getting up that bloody hill :lol:

I bet she's helped many a cyclist get it up. :whistle: sorry get up the hill.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I bet she's helped many a cyclist get it up. :whistle: sorry get up the hill.

The thought did occur to me, having had two such incidents recently, if I've suddenly morphed into Robin Askwith or something :thumbsup:

Fact is though, tonight was pitch black anyway - just in case I slipped into deluding myself that I have the looks and physique of Alberto Contador rather than the reality of closely resembling Jim Royle :(

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
The thought did occur to me, having had two such incidents recently, if I've suddenly morphed into Robin Askwith or something :thumbsup:

Fact is though, tonight was pitch black anyway - just in case I slipped into deluding myself that I have the looks and physique of Alberto Contador rather than the reality of closely resembling Jim Royle :(

:lolol: in all seriousness it's comforting to know us cyclist stick together out on the road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here