Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh, and one more thing just to throw in there. I've not been out for any proper rides lately, but have been busy on the geek front and finally gone full carbon. :)
Oh come on spill the beans.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
Ride London is this weekend. On Sunday I'm a volunteer at the Leith Hill drinks stop in Surrey and not looking forward to the early start and the arrival of Bertha. Will anyone on here be passing through?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Another good day for Majka. Blistering attack to ride everyone off his wheel from about 2km out and then held on to win the stage quite comfortably. I'm not sure why Kirby is so convinced Jon Izagirre is favourite for the GC. He's convinced himself that he's a far superior TT'er than Majka. I've not checked this particular Izagirre's TT record, but one thing I do know without checking is that Majka is no mug at a TT. If I was having a bet right now, having only checked the TT profile and distance, I'd back Majka to keep yellow tomorrow.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh come on spill the beans.

I'll post some photos when I get the chance to do some. What I will say is that I got her second hand at a price I was made up with and she fitted like a glove on the test ride with the nice bloke I bought her off. It was a question of get a Carrera TdF or Zelos for our 15 yr old in the hope he'll get the full cycling bug, or get myself a second hand full carbon and let Jnr ride the Battaglin and me still using her as a winter hack and second bike if Jnr doesn't fully get the bug. In the end, it was no contest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll post some photos when I get the chance to do some. What I will say is that I got her second hand at a price I was made up with and she fitted like a glove on the test ride with the nice bloke I bought her off. It was a question of get a Carrera TdF or Zelos for our 15 yr old in the hope he'll get the full cycling bug, or get myself a second hand full carbon and let Jnr ride the Battaglin and me still using her as a winter hack and second bike if Jnr doesn't fully get the bug. In the end, it was no contest.
Like that is it, come on what have you got!?!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Now that would just spoil it :wink: You'll see when I get the pictures up and prattle on about it.

I will give two titbits away though -:

1) It's definitely more sportive over racing and I feel like I could ride all day on her (not that I've done anything further so far than the 5-10 mile test ride and a similar cycle path distance with the kids)

2) It's not Campag :eek: But don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds :wink:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Another good day for Majka. Blistering attack to ride everyone off his wheel from about 2km out and then held on to win the stage quite comfortably. I'm not sure why Kirby is so convinced Jon Izagirre is favourite for the GC. He's convinced himself that he's a far superior TT'er than Majka. I've not checked this particular Izagirre's TT record, but one thing I do know without checking is that Majka is no mug at a TT. If I was having a bet right now, having only checked the TT profile and distance, I'd back Majka to keep yellow tomorrow.

As suspected. Reasonably comfortable for Majka in the end. Only loses 11 seconds to Jon Izagirre in the TT and so holds onto yellow by 8 seconds. Looks like the bookies listen to people like Kirby as they had Izagirre at evens favourite after yesterday for the GC win, Majka at 13/8.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Right then, you'll have to make do with naf photos from last night as I can't see me getting the chance or having the inclination to do better ones.

First up to remind you is my old Battaglin, with recently added new shorter stem, new (secondhand) Fizik Aliante saddle and Deda carbon seatpost. She's strictly Italian apart from the Vredestein Fortessa Tricomp tyres. I still love her, despite the creaks and the fact she's probably a tiny bit big for me.
2014-08-08-2355.jpg

Now here's the new addition. Verenti Rhigos .03
Sram Rival groupset this time, except the Truvativ/Elita crankset being the trade off spec and the Me branded brakes. She's the perfect size for me and when I got on her I just fell in love. Really light and she glided off down the road just like I imagined a full carbon should. Nothing like the Ribble Evo Pro I'd previously tested. She's definitely built for comfort, and I feel already like I could go all day on her. Came with the Fizik Antares saddle upgrade that the previous owner put on, but I added new Look Keo classic pedals and a pair of secondhand Arundel side loading carbon bottle cages. Tyres are Vittoria Diamante Pro, which I have already had a puncture on. They roll lovely though and the puncture was probably down to under inflation and the broken seashells on the cycle path that I got it on (although the Vredesteins have been over that path countless times with no issues....so far). Only thing left to get now is a Garmin 200, but I'm on the look out for a deal, so no big rush.

2014-08-08-2349.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very nice 1066.

That's a serious upgrade, no wonder you're rightly very pleased and proud.

Good shopping.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Very nice 1066.

That's a serious upgrade, no wonder you're rightly very pleased and proud.

Good shopping.

Thanks SB.

A good way under half the original RRP represented outstanding value for the condition she's in. I bought her off of an absolute gent who took me out for a ride with him round his neck of the woods over varied terrain to give me a real feel for the bike. No way was I walking away from this deal! I'm pleasantly surprised by how easy it's been to get used to Sram and even the set up price compromises (crankset and brakes) feel absolutely fine to me. Over time I suppose any upgrade would be to get full Sram throughout but if I ever do that'll be more for vanity to be honest than practicality as the existing set up performs just fine. Wheels feel good too for the price. I'm a very happy bunny, just need to get off my lazy arse and actually out on her for proper rides now. Here's hoping for cooler weather.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Right then, you'll have to make do with naf photos from last night as I can't see me getting the chance or having the inclination to do better ones.

First up to remind you is my old Battaglin, with recently added new shorter stem, new (secondhand) Fizik Aliante saddle and Deda carbon seatpost. She's strictly Italian apart from the Vredestein Fortessa Tricomp tyres. I still love her, despite the creaks and the fact she's probably a tiny bit big for me.
View attachment 57163

Now here's the new addition. Verenti Rhigos .03
Sram Rival groupset this time, except the Truvativ/Elita crankset being the trade off spec and the Me branded brakes. She's the perfect size for me and when I got on her I just fell in love. Really light and she glided off down the road just like I imagined a full carbon should. Nothing like the Ribble Evo Pro I'd previously tested. She's definitely built for comfort, and I feel already like I could go all day on her. Came with the Fizik Antares saddle upgrade that the previous owner put on, but I added new Look Keo classic pedals and a pair of secondhand Arundel side loading carbon bottle cages. Tyres are Vittoria Diamante Pro, which I have already had a puncture on. They roll lovely though and the puncture was probably down to under inflation and the broken seashells on the cycle path that I got it on (although the Vredesteins have been over that path countless times with no issues....so far). Only thing left to get now is a Garmin 200, but I'm on the look out for a deal, so no big rush.

View attachment 57164

A mate of mine rides a Verenti. He loves it, a really nice bike. Enjoy, 1066.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The London Surrey Classic today was brilliant. Did no one else watch it?

I've just finished watching 'as live', and that was a great race - really good tactical stuff that ended with an English 1-2. Great to see Adam Blythe take it ahead of Swift, for who Sky had ridden an impeccable race.

I'd love to see Blythe back on the World stage.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The London Surrey Classic today was brilliant. Did no one else watch it?

I've just finished watching 'as live', and that was a great race - really good tactical stuff that ended with an English 1-2. Great to see Adam Blythe take it ahead of Swift, for who Sky had ridden an impeccable race.

Was a good, aggressive race.

Blythe did a great sprint, that was a mighty impressive jump he got on everyone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No it wouldn't, he might ruin my Adam Blythe joke:-

***clears throat***

Blythe, pah, the best thing he did in cycling was Lizzie Armitstead.

I thank you, here all week.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Electing to use the undercliff walk this morning wasn't the best idea - especially when a wave crash over my head..:facepalm: and after being puncture free for nearly 2 years, I get 2 one after the other, first a piece of glass, second a sharp piece of flint. I've wondered whether I've needed to carry 2 spare tubes, but luckily today I did. I also used my compressed air tyre inflator which was bloody excellent I must say - I only had one of those though (still carry a trusty pump)!

muckybike.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
T'is Eneco time.

This'll be the race that goes through lovely little villages, all locked by canals.
They all look great until I think 'blimey I bet that's b*****d cold in the winter'.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
T'is Eneco time.

This'll be the race that goes through lovely little villages, all locked by canals.
They all look great until I think 'blimey I bet that's b*****d cold in the winter'.
And the traffic furniture. Racing in Belgium Holland is just several hours of avoiding lumps of concrete!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And the traffic furniture. Racing in Belgium Holland is just several hours of avoiding lumps of concrete!

I watched the last 10km highlights. Lots of spills on drying roads on the roundabouts. A sky rider was one of them, not sure if it was G (again) or not?

Guardini is in good form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here