Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was odd coming back from an olympic distance multisport discipline that cannot be mentioned in this thread, which was in glorious sunshine to see them racing in those conditions up in Glasgow.
My dad was Mr Cricket.
He'd wangle time out of the office for test matches.
Invariable the covers would be on at Headingly meaning we had a solid 5 days of dad sat in 'his' chair, staring out through a sun drenched window saying:-
'Yorkshire bloody Yorkshire why have a bloody outdoor sporting event in bloody Yorkshire'.
'look at the bloody weather out there, Sussex is where they should be playing, not bloody Yorkshire'

5 days solid, from 11am to 6pm.

Was pretty chuffed with my effort on the bike today, managed to hold a 20mph+ average (just) over 40km.

Well done Bad Ash, I think I might have been at the same multisport that cannot be mentioned. It was odd cycling on what seemed almost all flat after spending most my time cycling around the Downs. People seem to slow down on even the smallest ramp. Guess we are very lucky to have such great cycling terrain around Sussex. What is the point of cycling without some hills.
On Tuesday I did a 28 mile flat blast with a mate.

We kept our average over 20mph but fook me did I feel it.
At one point we had 100 yards max at 1% max, and Colin dropped me :lolol: :facepalm:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Here you go [MENTION=16720]Indurain's Lungs[/MENTION]

http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/de-ro....html?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=twitterfeed#

best now give him some 'quiet' time.

Mmmm. Yet to be convinced by the disc brakes.

Also got a first look at my dad's king the other day. I have to say that the absolutely enormous down tube is a bit ridiculous. I'm swayed by the lower profiles of bikes like the canyons.

Read a review of an orro bike, was very complimentary and looks an amazing amount of bike for just over 2k.

http://www.orrobikes.com/bikes/orro-gold

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My tentative mate has hydraulic disc brakes on his mountain bike.
He now swears by them, and I guarantee should he ever buy an upgrade roadie, it'll be disc.

Bianchi did a weird downtube thing on the model after mine.
My downtube is no shrinking violet and curved. But they followed it up with one so fat and so curved it looked like it pushed the front wheel forward and away from the bike.
It was great to see, as there was absolutely no jealousy, it looked hideous.

The Canyon in the ITV competition looked well lush.

The new Look 795 has a 'marmite' feel to it.
I'm gonna go 'yes' but I am aware if it were made by Trek I'd be saying 'stick it up your arse':-

BuMRW04CIAAm7no.jpg

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
My tentative mate has hydraulic disc brakes on his mountain bike.
He now swears by them, and I guarantee should he ever buy an upgrade roadie, it'll be disc.

Bianchi did a weird downtube thing on the model after mine.
My downtube is no shrinking violet and curved. But they followed it up with one so fat and so curved it looked like it pushed the front wheel forward and away from the bike.
It was great to see, as there was absolutely no jealousy, it looked hideous.

The Canyon in the ITV competition looked well lush.

The new Look 795 has a 'marmite' feel to it.
I'm gonna go 'yes' but I am aware if it were made by Trek I'd be saying 'stick it up your arse':-

View attachment 57012

Yeah, not so sure about the look!

Maybe I'll just continue my hero worship with one of these -

http://greglemond.com/#!/bicycles

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Read a review of an orro bike, was very complimentary and looks an amazing amount of bike for just over 2k.

http://www.orrobikes.com/bikes/orro-gold

I have a bit of a thing about 'new' British bike brands.

I have a mental image of a couple of rich yahoos seeing their chinless mates ditch their golf clubs for lyrca.
Then thinking 'we can get some chinese frames and make a brand'.

It all feels to me very false and fly-by-night.

As said though that's just a gut feeling and very unfair.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe I'll just continue my hero worship with one of these -

http://greglemond.com/#!/bicycles

That's more like it.

Loving the little 'Z' on the top of the 1990 forks.
Almost worth buying just for that. (I'm Team Robert Millar)

A cleaner peloton and LeMond bikes back on the road, it's almost as if Lance could be forgiven.
(wash my mouth out)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry if someone else posted this, but it is pretty cool. A fan stood by the road gets his helmet cam knocked out of his hand as Le Tour motors past….lying in the road Kevin Reza picks it up (quite how he manages to bend down and pick it up going at that speed is anyone's guest)…..

Anyway, this is the resulting footage and the team managed to return it to the fan afterwards

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hi guys. Need to buy a new helmet after my crash; me knee seems nearly up to pedalling again! My previous one was a Giro Monza, which was fine, but led to a serious case of mushroom-head! Can anyone recommend something a little smaller that's still available for under £40, before I go and buy another Monza?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hi guys. Need to buy a new helmet after my crash; me knee seems nearly up to pedalling again! My previous one was a Giro Monza, which was fine, but led to a serious case of mushroom-head! Can anyone recommend something a little smaller that's still available for under £40, before I go and buy another Monza?

I tried a fair few helmets, in one shop I wasn't told the price, was just putting them on to see which was most comfortable. The best fitting for me was the Specialized Align helmet. At £30 I was surprised as I thought it was going to end up costing me £90 or something. I've had it 2 years now, and it's still fine. The venting is pretty good for the price. I still find it very comfortable and light.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/helmets-and-protection/helmet-standard/product/review-specialized-align-14-48405/

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

You wuss you :lol: - you should see Cunego's knee: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/damiano-cunegos-bad-wound-becomes-twitter-hit-132278

Now THAT'S a knee injury!, and he still hasn't missed a pedal stroke in the Tour of Poland.

You've redeemed yourself though in throwing the helmet away to buy a new one. Wise move :thumbsup: My daughter had a nasty smash a while back and I did exactly the same with her helmet. She was fine and thankfully it didn't shake her confidence too much, although it did shit me up at the time. The blessing in disguise is she's learned a very early lesson in easing off the speed going into corners on descents.

Bold Seagull is spot on - best to try on several and go with the one that feels best, and hopefully it'll be a cheap(ish) one. If you'd like another Giro, I can vouch for a Giro Transfer, and it's only £30 too. Good luck.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Great end to the stage today in Poland - local hero Majka broke away with about 1500m left, but they reeled him in - it looked like a big misjudgement - but young Rafal attacked again, and won the stage. Brilliant. He didn't have time to wink cheekily, though.

He takes over the leader's jersey by less than a second.

In the mountains again tomorrow!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Great end to the stage today in Poland - local hero Majka broke away with about 1500m left, but they reeled him in - it looked like a big misjudgement - but young Rafal attacked again, and won the stage. Brilliant. He didn't have time to wink cheekily, though.

He takes over the leader's jersey by less than a second.

In the mountains again tomorrow!

It was Weening who attacked from about 1.5km and Majka misses out on the leaders jersey by 1 second - Petr Vakoc just about held on with a big push to the line behind the main group.

It was a great finish though. Majak was calmness personified as the attacks came, with Weenings being the first serious one after others had a go a bit further out. Countering the Movistar boys when they doubled up on him right at the death was bloody impressive too. Great win for Majka that reeked of sky high confidence in his own ability after his successful TdF. If he didn't have that under his belt he would certainly have responded earlier to those attacks today and probably not won the stage. Success certainly breeds success alright.

Line of the day (or the last 5km highlights I saw anyway) from kirby came when Hesjedal was on the front towards the end and flicking elbows for help - " Everyone's flicking elbows out here here like it's a bad dads dance party" :lolol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It was Weening who attacked from about 1.5km and Majka misses out on the leaders jersey by 1 second - Petr Vakoc just about held on with a big push to the line behind the main group.

It was a great finish though. Majak was calmness personified as the attacks came, with Weenings being the first serious one after others had a go a bit further out. Countering the Movistar boys when they doubled up on him right at the death was bloody impressive too. Great win for Majka that reeked of sky high confidence in his own ability after his successful TdF. If he didn't have that under his belt he would certainly have responded earlier to those attacks today and probably not won the stage. Success certainly breeds success alright.

Line of the day (or the last 5km highlights I saw anyway) from kirby came when Hesjedal was on the front towards the end and flicking elbows for help - " Everyone's flicking elbows out here here like it's a bad dads dance party" :lolol:

Great quote from Carlton.

But it was him and Magnus who told me the original attack was from Majka...and that the lead had changed hands.

There you go.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All my bitchin about jerseys and kit has just come back to bite me on the arse.

Some fella just rode past me wearing this:-

refreshers_-600x600.jpg

I loves Refreshers so much I don't even know what bike he was on.

I've loved Refreshers for longer than I've loved The Albion, Claire Grogan & the Green Bay Packers.

The only saving grace is it's made by the same company that did the appalling Albion jersey.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Eurosport showed last year's London Surrey Classic this afternoon. First time I'd seen it, and a great watch. This year's should be great TV - but in the remnants of Hurricane Bertha...I don't think I'll bother going to watch it live!

Carlton was bigging up Geoffrey Soupe's chances in the last few kilometres - I haven't noticed him this year (probably because I've avoided the Fantasy stuff) and SB hasn't been banging on about him - what's happened to him? Has he kept up his rate of progress?

Anyone riding the Ride London sportive? Or has it already happened - did anyone ride it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Eurosport showed last year's London Surrey Classic this afternoon. First time I'd seen it, and a great watch. This year's should be great TV - but in the remnants of Hurricane Bertha...I don't think I'll bother going to watch it live!

Carlton was bigging up Geoffrey Soupe's chances in the last few kilometres - I haven't noticed him this year (probably because I've avoided the Fantasy stuff) and SB hasn't been banging on about him - what's happened to him? Has he kept up his rate of progress?

Anyone riding the Ride London sportive? Or has it already happened - did anyone ride it?
You'll be surprised to know Jeff Soup rode the tour. (at least I think he did!!)

I don't think I've heard his name mentioned all season, I have no idea why.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I've still been as race obsessed as I was when doing fantasy, so I can confirm that our Geoff has done bugger all this season. Truth be told, he didn't do much the season before that either really but I can see how SB might have convinced us all otherwise :lol:

I've not got into the London Surrey Classic at all so can't comment on that. It's just past me by somehow. I'm just about to catch up on half hour highlights of today's stage of Tour of Poland though.

Oh, and one more thing just to throw in there. I've not been out for any proper rides lately, but have been busy on the geek front and finally gone full carbon. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here