Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That wasn't the first ride back, as you'll see on stava, but I've only been back in the saddle for a few weeks. Just done the north face of Devil's Dyke for the first time and didn't think I'd be able to do anything today after Saturday! Definitely getting fitter.

Re the gears they definitely change of their own accord more than I appreciate! Where would you recommend taking it for a service [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]? I got it from rayments originally.

I use Rayments. Lovely fellas, they always go that extra mile for you, especially if you are a regular. Go there. Tell them you know me and I recommended you use them. I'm Matt on Strava (and everywhere else, as it happens. Except here.)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm Tom Glandfield and so's my wife.

John C.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That wasn't the first ride back, as you'll see on stava, but I've only been back in the saddle for a few weeks. Just done the north face of Devil's Dyke for the first time and didn't think I'd be able to do anything today after Saturday! Definitely getting fitter.

Re the gears they definitely change of their own accord more than I appreciate! Where would you recommend taking it for a service [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]? I got it from rayments originally.
Others will recommend a Brighton service.

As they are hopping about on an older bike they may well suggest new cables, bumping up the price from just a minor fettle.

It's a silly point but make sure your track pump has a gauge, in this weather you'll be needing over 100 psi.
I run on 105 and I wouldn't be surprised if mine are the least inflated for the geeks.
That kind of pressure explains the need for good tyres, not to mention rolling resistance etc.
A poor set is like throwing an anchor out the back.

Don't think there's anything wrong with my tyres but could be wrong? You're right about the pump though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe we should just let him guess. There's 11,000 or so posts worth of clues!
That's true, if we are to believe that 'geeks' is intimidating, we ought to play up to it.
Set questions of which the answers are in this thread.
Then only talk to a newbie when they have answered correctly :lol:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Hi All,

However, we're in the process of buying a house (and getting married on Saturday!)

Looks like nobody is gonna wish you good luck and offer congratulations. You've had the bike advice, so you know what's important on here.

Good luck and congratulations!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Others will recommend a Brighton service.

As they are hopping about on an older bike they may well suggest new cables, bumping up the price from just a minor fettle.

It's a silly point but make sure your track pump has a gauge, in this weather you'll be needing over 100 psi.
I run on 105 and I wouldn't be surprised if mine are the least inflated for the geeks.
That kind of pressure explains the need for good tyres, not to mention rolling resistance etc.
A poor set is like throwing an anchor out the back.

Blimey! I pumped mine up at halfords (scum) when I got a flat last week and thought they seemed ridiculously hard at 60 psi!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looks like nobody is gonna wish you good luck and offer congratulations. You've had the bike advice, so you know what's important on here.

Good luck and congratulations!
Brilliant, totally encapsulates the thread.

Oh and congrats etc :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey! I pumped mine up at halfords (scum) when I got a flat last week and thought they seemed ridiculously hard at 60 psi!

Depends what tyres you've got on. As a rule, the fatter the tyre the lower the max psi. The max psi recommendation will be on the tyre wall.

Also be aware that a track pump gauge can, and probably will be inaccurate. I discovered mine was showing 10 psi less than was actually in the tyre. Consequently I was running on 130 psi in my 23mm tyres rather than the 120psi I thought I had in there. I discovered this error because I now use the track pump to do our car tyres and cross referenced it with a petrol station air machine which are always accurate as they have them regularly checked.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's my latest ebay experiment.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/giant-road-bike-/141323366422?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item20e7877016

Back in the old days I'd have said this would sell for just over £200.
Basically everyone would have set a price of £200 then it's just a question of who's going to blink last as the time runs out.
At that price it's a simple choice of 2nd hand Giant v new Carerra.
I'd have taken the Giant.

This is intriguing:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilier-La...1336467422?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item233c5b3bde

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Depends what tyres you've got on. As a rule, the fatter the tyre the lower the max psi. The max psi recommendation will be on the tyre wall.

Also be aware that a track pump gauge can, and probably will be inaccurate. I discovered mine was showing 10 psi less than was actually in the tyre. Consequently I was running on 130 psi in my 23mm tyres rather than the 120psi I thought I had in there. I discovered this error because I now use the track pump to do our car tyres and cross referenced it with a petrol station air machine which are always accurate as they have them regularly checked.
Yeah I'm getting a bit carried away here.
I should have said that's a 23mm tyre and well within the limits set.

I'll pipe down, now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That lampre looks nice for that price, no? Wish I had the dosh... wonder if he'll take bitcoin. ..

Ebay search 'road bike campagnolo' or 'Italain road bike'. You'll likely get something nice come up with a decent campag group set on a frame few have heard of for a much better price than the well known brands with fishing tackle on (SB brownie points :angel:). If you go a handful of pages back here you'll see what I mean.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ebay search 'road bike campagnolo' or 'Italain road bike'. You'll likely get something nice come up with a decent campag group set on a frame few have heard of for a much better price than the well known brands with fishing tackle on (SB brownie points :angel:). If you go a handful of pages back here you'll see what I mean.

Can't see anything cheaper than that!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I should think my tyres are 23mm though not sure. How much do you think that Lampre is worth?
It's value is a bit more than the Giant.
I'd take it in a heart beat over the £410 Allez that sold over the weekend.

It's a nice tidy bike, Tiagra fishing tackle is 2 or 3 up the Shimano pecking order.
That's a little bit distinctive.

I wouldn't say it's a fair price, esp with what 1066 can rustle up, but it would seem to be a better price than many.

Fence fence where's that blooming fence, I need a sit down.

Edit having just done an Ebay search for Wilier road bike, it was reasonably inconclusive, other than all the bikes for sale are in the south west. Begging the question which LBS is knocking out Wiliers?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here