[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I was hoping someone from the 'wheel expert' sub-section of Geeks would have popped up by now.

In their absence I'll say, I'd imagine your LBS will be able to true the wheel back to it's former glory, at a fraction of the cost.

Although if you have new wheel money, to hand, it is the very best upgrade you can perform on your bike.

Thanks! I might see if I can pop down the local bike shop, then. A wheel upgrade was something I was planning as the wheels on my bike are fairly cheap stock ones, but I was hoping to put the upgrade off until next year.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Rear wheel has slightly buckled - Argh! It's slightly kissing the brake pad every revolution. Annoying! Looks like I'll be in the market for some replacement wheels soon.

As a temporary measure can you not loosen the brakes so that the wheel can turn unhindered? If not then I'd say it was more than slightly buckled as usually you can get the pads pretty far out.

If it is only slightly buckled then this could possibly be fixed by your LBS, I've had mine done before, cost about £15.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Thanks [MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION], I have loosened the brakes slightly as a temporary fix. I did a 35km ride on it, so it isn't too bad, but it is really annoying! As suggested, I have contacted the LBS - I must admit, being new to cycling, I didn't know that wheels could be re-trued.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Thanks [MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION], I have loosened the brakes slightly as a temporary fix. I did a 35km ride on it, so it isn't too bad, but it is really annoying! As suggested, I have contacted the LBS - I must admit, being new to cycling, I didn't know that wheels could be re-trued.

Just get the spoke key out and give it a go. 1/4 turn tighter on the spoke directly by the buckle and a little smidge looser on the ones either side of it - simple!

Felt the need to reply as the running thread appeared above us - one of the unwritten (now written) rules of the geeks; "never appear below the running thread" alongside "try to remain on the first page at all times". Any others to add?!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh my god! Where to start with this?!

View attachment 55333
You have to 'go advanced' before attaching an image.

I was so close to making a fortune from jnrs Colnago, this morning.

Bikeradar has a massive gallery of Photos from The Colnago Museum, http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/the-colnago-museum-mega-gallery-40208/.
Jnr's bike is actually in one of the shots:-

1393609910702-723u46tis150-700-80.jpg

Just different blooming decals.
If I could have attached that museum photo I'd be lighting cigars with £20 notes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's great when you see something without a single redeemable feature.

If you look really really closely there is nothing, not a single aspect of that photo you can point to and say:-

'yeah but he has got ...'.

A brilliant piece of work.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It's great when you see something without a single redeemable feature.

If you look really really closely there is nothing, not a single aspect of that photo you can point to and say:-

'yeah but he has got ...'.

A brilliant piece of work.

This post spurred me on to find a single redeemable feature. I tried really hard, and I found one.

I like how his tyres match his bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This post spurred me on to find a single redeemable feature. I tried really hard, and I found one.

I like how his tyres match his bike.
Mine do, and I know it's a little wrong but I just couldn't help myself, not helped by the fact I'd do it again, in a heartbeat.
I tell myself if everything else is in check, then it's allowed.

IL may well have 2 different colours (he says deflecting the attention elsewhere).

The bar tape police will be along in a minute.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Being new to cycling and wanting to keep the costs down, aldi has been a godsend for cheap kit.

However, I doubt I'll be joining 'team Aldi' (on sale this Sunday):

Rp_Cycling_TI_9432338a57.jpg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hi All,

Sorry to intrude on this long-established (actually somewhat intimidating) thread... but I'm finally getting back into cycling after 5 years out with back problems (which turned out to be psychological - my prime cycling years wasted). I did 65km on Saturday (Brighton - Lewes - Newhaven - Seaford - Alfriston - Berwick - Laughton - Ringmer - Lewes) and absolutely loved it.

Trouble is, I have a Specialized Sirus (now 13 years old) and great though it is, I need a racer. However, we're in the process of buying a house (and getting married on Saturday!) so I don't have a lot to spend. Where's the best place I can get a bike that's worth having, second hand, without spending the Earth? Ebay?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ooooh, just saw mention of NSC geeks club on Strava, how do I find that? Also, anyone know if I can delete a segment (it's joined together two even though I paused when I got a train).

edit: I've joined the club now :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hi All,

Sorry to intrude on this long-established (actually somewhat intimidating) thread... but I'm finally getting back into cycling after 5 years out with back problems (which turned out to be psychological - my prime cycling years wasted). I did 65km on Saturday (Brighton - Lewes - Newhaven - Seaford - Alfriston - Berwick - Laughton - Ringmer - Lewes) and absolutely loved it.

Trouble is, I have a Specialized Sirus (now 13 years old) and great though it is, I need a racer. However, we're in the process of buying a house (and getting married on Saturday!) so I don't have a lot to spend. Where's the best place I can get a bike that's worth having, second hand, without spending the Earth? Ebay?

Gumtree can be worth a look - but you do get a lot of dealers out there trying to flog bikes way over price, as well as the risk of stolen goods. With regard to stolen, meeting at a home address is a good idea if you can.

I picked up my Holdsworth '83 vintage racer from here - http://www.lfgss.com but again always view and have a go on the bike.

If you're not looking to pay the earth, but the used market is not exactly cheap, the Btwin Triban 3 is a highly rated bike by several on here and around the cycling forums as an excellent value for £250. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red-road-bike-id_8274036.html

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Thanks [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], I didn't even know Decathlon did bikes. I may even stretch to this? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html#avantages

I got my first road bike from Decathon in January. A triban 5, to be precise. I quite like it - especially now I have put on blue-walled tyres to match the blue trim.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-road-bike-black-id_8239801.html

It is a pretty similar spec to the red Triban 3 posted by [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] above, but there aren't many red triban 3's left around any more (there are in some Decathlon stores, but none online). The white Triban 3's don't have the carbon fork that the other bikes in the range have.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I got my first road bike from Decathon in January. A triban 5, to be precise. I quite like it - especially now I have put on blue-walled tyres to match the blue trim.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-road-bike-black-id_8239801.html

It is a pretty similar spec to the red Triban 3 posted by [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] above, but there aren't many red triban 3's left around any more (there are in some Decathlon stores, but none online). The white Triban 3's don't have the carbon fork that the other bikes in the range have.

Thanks. In terms of speed, times, climbing, etc. how much does having an aluminium frame hinder you compared to a carbon fibre one?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Thanks. In terms of speed, times, climbing, etc. how much does having an aluminium frame hinder you compared to a carbon fibre one?

I haven't got a ruddy clue - I've only ever owned the one road bike with an Aluminium frame and carbon fork - the proper Geeks will know the difference.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Hinder is the wrong word, you wouldn't be hindered at all by a alloy frame. You might find a carbon bike a fraction faster, and you might climb a bit quicker, but really it's all about the comfort of the ride in my opinion. I go out on some club rides with people on all different equipment from carbon bikes, to titanium, to allow to old fashioned steel. The important thing is that it feels good to you and is a great to ride.

I know I'd notice a lot more difference if I lost a stone in weight than if I had the lightest bike on the market!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I have two road bikes - a Specialized Secteur and a Specialized Roubaix. The geometry of both is the same - basically the Secteur is aluminium and the Roubaix is carbon.

I love them both, and after riding the Secteur for a while I forget how much I love the Roubaix.

Until I get on it again. It is noticeably faster, and feels lighter (which it is) uphill. I would say that over 50 miles, I ride an average of over 1mph faster on my Roubaix. That may not sound much, but it feels it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports