Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Danny MacAskill at it again:-

[video]http://epecuen.redbull.com/[/video]

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Are you saving Cobb Lane for another day.

Very wise, we don't want to scare the newbies off.

I never knew where this was until a couple of months ago. When I discovered it I was in Ardingly, at the top, but the name struck a chord, having heard you talking about it...

So, next time [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and I were in the area, I suggested we check it out. We cycled down, and obviously it seemed steep. Hamilton said "Is that it? Piece of piss!" and we partook of a gel, whilst preparing ourselves, girding our loins at the bottom.

It was not a piece of piss. If you sit in the saddle, your front wheel feels as if it's going to take off, and you will topple over backwards. Standing on the pedals involved leaning way out over the handlebars.

But we did it. All the way. And we won't be hurrying back.

I'd suggest that you don't look for Cob Lane, [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] . :)

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Don't ride there. They've moved to Forest Row.

All is not lost for Uckfielders however, as my mate has just opened a new shop (Propel Bikes) opposite where In Gear used to be. His shop is more family/commuter orientated than In Gear ever was (is) and he stocks Merida, which are something a little different from the run of the mill.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
All is not lost for Uckfielders however, as my mate has just opened a new shop (Propel Bikes) opposite where In Gear used to be. His shop is more family/commuter orientated than In Gear ever was (is) and he stocks Merida, which are something a little different from the run of the mill.

Lampre use Merida, I believe?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Lampre use Merida, I believe?

Yes, Rui Costa admires " more stiffness", among other things. Love the way he says that. Ooh er Missus! :lol:

[yt]Ph1Y5VXmHEo[/yt]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I never knew where this was until a couple of months ago. When I discovered it I was in Ardingly, at the top, but the name struck a chord, having heard you talking about it...

So, next time [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and I were in the area, I suggested we check it out. We cycled down, and obviously it seemed steep. Hamilton said "Is that it? Piece of piss!" and we partook of a gel, whilst preparing ourselves, girding our loins at the bottom.

It was not a piece of piss. If you sit in the saddle, your front wheel feels as if it's going to take off, and you will topple over backwards. Standing on the pedals involved leaning way out over the handlebars.

But we did it. All the way. And we won't be hurrying back.

I'd suggest that you don't look for Cob Lane, [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] . :)

This isn't a wee-wee poor excuse, crying like a little girl, sniveling like a fat kid last in the cake line, but...

...coming from the other way Cobb Lane always sneaked up on me, as it just appears out of nowhere while riding through some lovely country lanes.

Reading that again it would seem it is a wee-wee poor excuse, crying like a little girl, sniveling like a fat kid last in the cake line.
I just couldn't do that climb, the only one that's bested me :down:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Have been reading some of the fall out from yesterday's stage - lots of confusion that probably won't make that much difference at the end of the week.

Also made me think that the Giro field is very weak. No disrespect to NSC's finest but Quintana should be ripping minutes out of him on a climb like that. Its way off the kind of climbing that would damage Contador or Froome - I'm starting to think that this really could have been Purito's Giro as he would have comfortably stayed with Quintana on these climbs and probably pulled out a little at the top (plus bonuses).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This isn't a wee-wee poor excuse, crying like a little girl, sniveling like a fat kid last in the cake line, but...

...coming from the other way Cobb Lane always sneaked up on me, as it just appears out of nowhere while riding through some lovely country lanes.

Reading that again it would seem it is a wee-wee poor excuse, crying like a little girl, sniveling like a fat kid last in the cake line.
I just couldn't do that climb, the only one that's bested me :down:

:lolol:

You big girl's blouse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have been reading some of the fall out from yesterday's stage - lots of confusion that probably won't make that much difference at the end of the week.

Also made me think that the Giro field is very weak. No disrespect to NSC's finest but Quintana should be ripping minutes out of him on a climb like that. Its way off the kind of climbing that would damage Contador or Froome - I'm starting to think that this really could have been Purito's Giro as he would have comfortably stayed with Quintana on these climbs and probably pulled out a little at the top (plus bonuses).
We never really got round to discussing the final climb, what with everything else going on.

Quintana clearly isn't 100%.
NSC's finest rode a little bit smarter than Rolland, clearly knowing he could make ground on the flats, and just grit his teeth for the gradients.
I thought Rolland was a little too involved on the steeper sections, all hindsight I know, but it was fairly obvious once the last km was there for all to see, they'd be only one winner.

The most telling part of the bunch, for me, was pointed out by the commentator, as a positive.
It was very young, and it showed.

At no point did they look like they were riding faster than Quintana, irrespective what the gradient graphic said.
The fact that Heano was 'comfortable' and Cataldo sat with them for quite a while says it all.

When Polish fella, then Wilco finally went for it, it was clearly too little too late.
It's a very weak field but with the exception of Mick Rogers the weakness would appear to be more 'team' than individual. They are all much of a muchness (I guess that's the price of 'clean' racing) but clearly destined to be the next generation.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
It's a very weak field but with the exception of Mick Rogers the weakness would appear to be more 'team' than individual. They are all much of a muchness (I guess that's the price of 'clean' racing) but clearly destined to be the next generation.

The Giro is suffering from the ever rising importance of the Tour. July is the priority, even if its just getting in a break and getting some exposure. Add to that, no one feels the Giro-Tour double is possible any more - and I don't mean winning them, just riding the Giro to get form etc. Add to that the stages like yesterday and the rise of the ToC, the Giro is becoming the realm of Italians and those who feel like its the way to win a Grand Tour when all the big boys are elsewhere.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
7499170262_26a4d43dbc_o.jpg

Lads I need one of these. Please check out in the shed and help an old fella out. There's a :drink: in it for ya!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Giro is suffering from the ever rising importance of the Tour. July is the priority, even if its just getting in a break and getting some exposure. Add to that, no one feels the Giro-Tour double is possible any more - and I don't mean winning them, just riding the Giro to get form etc. Add to that the stages like yesterday and the rise of the ToC, the Giro is becoming the realm of Italians and those who feel like its the way to win a Grand Tour when all the big boys are elsewhere.
Not something that'll change anytime soon all the time the Giro's parcours look like this and last years.

The Giro might stubbornly end up being the turkey voting for Christmas.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's a good point about the weak GC field in this Giro and Quintana's troubles along the way meaning it could well have been Purito's to lose. Makes you wonder how Porte would have done too, seeing as it was always his main target before things went pear shaped.

Take it a step further and imagine if Quintana had also had to pull out due to a crash or sickness. Then it really could have been just about anyone's from about ten for the taking. Makes it more exciting in many ways I think. As Pogue says, just look at the time gaps now between Evans in 3rd and Hesjedal in 9th - less than a minute between the lot of them! Imagine actually winning the thing being up for grabs between that lot rather than just the other two podium spots.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
F8CK me, I've just tuned in for live coverage of today's stage and the commentators are still talking about the controversy from yesterday :nono:

Let it go for crying out loud!

The allotment beckons I think.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
F8CK me, I've just tuned in for a some live coverage of today's stage and the commentators are still talking about the controversy from yesterday :nono:

Let it go for crying out loud!

I'm sure I heard them say that NQ may get a time penalty - 55 seconds (?). Certainly, that would make things even more interesting...I think they said there'll be a statement later.

Looks a little less inclement today!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm sure I heard them say that NQ may get a time penalty - 55 seconds (?). Certainly, that would make things even more interesting...I think they said there'll be a statement later.

Looks a little less inclement today!

Let them take the full 1 and half minutes or whatever it was that they're whining about from the Stelvio descent if they like. He'll still just ride away from anyone here when he fancies anyway and take more time. Some people in this race need to know when they've just been beaten by the better man and shut up and get on with it.

As you can gather, I'm a bit fed up with all the discussion by now. Let's get on with enjoying the racing we still have left, because it's so full of promise still.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sure...

Well done, that is a pretty impressive time for a first go, I think. I've never had a go on a proper velodrome, would love to one day.

That's a bloody good time! Fastest I think I ever did was in the 14 something!

Very impressed, you would have thought a Timex for second and a cheap Casio for 3rd place, they should have handicapped you all by starting at different points like in the Revolution series. You would have won then. Oh and nice bike, did they let you keep it.

Well done Hans, even in 'just' 16 secs at what point did you think 'blimey this is a long way'?!!

That's a bloody good time.

I'm due to do the velodrome at the Olympic Park in a few weeks time. You've given me something to aim for.

What tooth were you using on the cog?

Quite brilliant HKFC, chapeau.

Just think, if you'd worn proper cycling shorts, you'd have won! I'm sure you've got a watch already, though, so not a problem, eh?

You're all most kind, but having enjoyed the idea that my time was anything too impressive, I'd best point out that Aigle is a 200m track, rather than the standard 250m!

If [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] does manage to beat my time, cycling 50m further, that will well and truly put me in my place!!

I trained the staff at the London Velo, on how to operate their new timing system. Let me know if they manage to make it work!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
You're all most kind, but having enjoyed the idea that my time was anything too impressive, I'd best point out that Aigle is a 200m track, rather than the standard 250m!

If [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] does manage to beat my time, cycling 50m further, that will well and truly put me in my place!!

I trained the staff at the London Velo, on how to operate their new timing system. Let me know if they manage to make it work!

I thought about asking whether it was 250 but thought that might piss on your bonfire!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here