Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've cycled up there once before, on an old mountain bike, and it was an ordeal, I can tell you :lolol:

I shall, however, tame the beast of the Beacon before summer is out. Fact.

Edna, it never stops being an ordeal. You just develop a natural masochism that means you seek out that ordeal, and as many others that might hurt more, as you can. The more it hurts, the more you enjoy it! Eventually...

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
[MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION], here's the little lady, I mentioned earlier, that's been taking my eye, recently:-
View attachment 54337

Nice one.

I agonised over buying a Cube GTC road bike over some more obvious contenders but the spec (carbon frame, full 105 groupset) was outstanding for the budget of just over £1k and most importantly the fit and handling are great. Two years later I am still delighted with her sharp handling, which needs to be very forgiving on the crap roads around here - and the brakes (105) are great.

Cube may have slightly dumbed down some of their specs lately but still look and feel good value. There are some good deals about and the build quality is very sound. You still don't see too many Cubes around (ok they don't have a big road racing heritage) but the owners I've met seem very happy too.

I agree it helps to support a decent LBS who in return are not too sniffy despite the fact I haven't spent a fortune. Treat me right and I might just stay loyal for an upgrade to a Litening one day.....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Edna, it never stops being an ordeal. You just develop a natural masochism that means you seek out that ordeal, and as many others that might hurt more, as you can. The more it hurts, the more you enjoy it! Eventually...

Oh I know it will never be easy. But I'd like to be able to cycle up it, no matter how hurty, without stopping. I think that's achievable. Mind over matter :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Best LBS in Sussex ? Is the one in Burgess Hill any good ?
This'll show up my complete lack of geography of lesser Sussex.
Even if it's not local, In Gear, Uckfield, is worthy of a visit.

Looking at their site brings up the conundrum I mentioned earlier.

You could get a Secteur (although you wouldn't want a triple!!!!) for £650.
or
It's full carbon 'big brother' the Roubaix for £1150.

2 very very different bike that look similar, one gets you kitted out head to toe, the other takes all your money.
(Pogue is the Roubaix expert here)

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep, you will do it. Then, check out Steyning Bostal. A killer!
Are you saving Cobb Lane for another day.

Very wise, we don't want to scare the newbies off.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Amazing!, busiest day on the thread for a long while, and somehow it's not all Giro tastic stage related.

Welcome aboard newbies, and as I'm sure you're already finding out, this is possibly the friendliest thread on NSC. Not a binfest to date, top advice freely given, trolls laughed at or ignored, and only the merest hint of a bit of Aussie bashing now and again :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Right off to walk Stat Hound.

After a flat 47 miles earlier anyone want to lay odds on whether I can get past the chippie, or not?

So, was it large with lashings of salt & vinegar?, and how many sausages did you throw in for good measure? Nice work on the ride btw :thumbsup:

Been out this evening on a flat run too, with Jnr as a swapsie for her athletics training again :)

Consequently I haven't had time to catch up with all the gossip and talk about Quintana's descending tatics today. What are your twitter thingies saying? I'll dive into the binfest forum later but it'll be a lot to wade through, so I'd be interested to see what you've turned up.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's a whole can of worms!

Even if people thought it was neutralised, they should have checked!

Yep, last I heard, seems like a few DS's might have started a rumour of it possibly being neutralised and then some people put 2 and 2 together and got 5 and a twitter race feed caused some confusion too. Have any of the riders complained yet? It seems not from the little I've seen of reports so far.

I'm firmly on Quintana's side personally, if there's sides to be taken.

1) It's as you say, they should have checked.
2) As I said straight after the stage - he took more time on the final climb than he did on the Stelvio descent anyway.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yep, last I heard, seems like a few DS's might have started a rumour of it possibly being neutralised and then some people put 2 and 2 together and got 5 and a twitter race feed caused some confusion too. Have any of the riders complained yet? It seems not from the little I've seen of reports so far.

I'm firmly on Quintana's side personally, if there's sides to be taken.

1) It's as you say, they should have checked.
2) As I said straight after the stage - he took more time on the final climb than he did on the Stelvio descent anyway.

Yes a few riders have voiced their opinion on Twitter - most have stuck to facts rather than condemning Quintana.
Won't make much difference over all, I should think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, was it large with lashings of salt & vinegar?, and how many sausages did you throw in for good measure? Nice work on the ride btw :thumbsup:

Been out this evening on a flat run too, with Jnr as a swapsie for her athletics training again :)

Consequently I haven't had time to catch up with all the gossip and talk about Quintana's descending tatics today. What are your twitter thingies saying? I'll dive into the binfest forum later but it'll be a lot to wade through, so I'd be interested to see what you've turned up.
There you go:-

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/05/news/confusion-neutralization-throws-giro-chaos_329760

TBH if you're stupid enough to ride up, you should be stupid enough to be allowed to ride down.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here