Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I just couldn't get on with French Revolutions.

I didn't "laugh out loud" at all to be honest, and yes I have read some Bill Bryson, and yes I did 'lol' with his stuff.

I enjoyed the read enough to make it through the entire book mind, and did find myself smiling on occasions. Pleasant enough, but didn't live up to the hype for me.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
BH = bank holiday. I was trying to save the energy typing it out in full, but you had to go and ruin it. In fairness though, knowing me, it could have been a Brands Hatch weekend in my language.

:jester:

I was racking my brains and could only come up with - BIKE HOLIDAY - which, with your track record, seemed quite plausible.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't "laugh out loud" at all to be honest, and yes I have read some Bill Bryson, and yes I did 'lol' with his stuff.

I enjoyed the read enough to make it through the entire book mind, and did find myself smiling on occasions. Pleasant enough, but didn't live up to the hype for me.
The Hour is a proper funny book.

I just couldn't shake the feeling that FR (French Revolutions!!) was trying too hard, and that stopped me from immersing myself in the book.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I laughed out loud several times. I love this book, and would recommend it to anyone.

I do wonder if the fact that Tim Moore is a reluctant cyclist, an unapologetic non-cyclist in his usual life, turns many cycling 'geeks' off the book.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I laughed out loud several times. I love this book, and would recommend it to anyone.

I do wonder if the fact that Tim Moore is a reluctant cyclist, an unapologetic non-cyclist in his usual life, turns many cycling 'geeks' off the book.

I don't think it's that for me. I'm not really a geek and quite happy to have cycling and cyclists looked at from any angle.

I think the problem is that the book is solely about him and if you struggle to identify with the bloke then it's hard to get fully on board. Perhaps it's a class thing for me?

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
***CALLING ALL SPOKE DOCTORS***

After one spoke had worked itself very loose.
If I were to convince myself the whole wheel is a bit twangy, how much damage can I do with a half turn tightening on every spoke?

To my knowledge it's never been done before, which will be years of use.
The spokes are far from rigid.
The wheels do feel a little 'springy', but that could just be me over thinking.

For any budding spokemeisters, the 'Wheelpro' PDF download by Roger Musson (http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/)is well worth the £9 fee. I bought it a while ago and it has totally demystified the dark art of wheel truing and building for me. It includes plans for an MDF (!) truing stand that the author swears is the equal or superior of anything available commercially and, having built one, it seems to work pretty well. I'm very far from a wheel building expert, but despite my initial scepticism, I have knocked up four wheels so far and (at the risk of putting the mockers on it) am into the 1000s of miles on two of them. I can't recommend the pdf highly enough.

With regard to your specific query Stat, I'd be a bit wary of tightening any more than the dodgy spoke and any adjacent spokes. If it's a rear wheel, bear in mind that an equal turn (or half turn) on every spoke will have a disproportionate effect on the longer non-drive spokes and could affect the dishing. I'd be inclined to work on the loose spoke in very small (quarter turn) increments and possibly tighten any other noticeably slack spokes. As IL says, less is definitely more in this regard - it's quite easy to create flat spots in the rim circumference if you over do it. Let us know how you get on.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I enjoyed French Revolutions. The story about him cycling past a school and the kid shouting "Allez Allez" at him has kinda stuck with me, as well as the bit about him visiting a friend and drinking too much wine. I can relate to that part quite well.

It certainly didn't have me laughing at every page, but there were a few wry grins and smirks throughout the book and was certainly interesting enough to keep me ploughing up the col.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With regard to your specific query Stat, I'd be a bit wary of tightening any more than the dodgy spoke and any adjacent spokes. If it's a rear wheel, bear in mind that an equal turn (or half turn) on every spoke will have a disproportionate effect on the longer non-drive spokes and could affect the dishing. I'd be inclined to work on the loose spoke in very small (quarter turn) increments and possibly tighten any other noticeably slack spokes. As IL says, less is definitely more in this regard - it's quite easy to create flat spots in the rim circumference if you over do it. Let us know how you get on.
Cheers.

'If you don't understand the answer, it's unlikely the job will be a success'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Not me.
I can only comment on the first 100 or so pages but it just all seemed so forced.
Daring do, comedy scrapes, and near misses.
The strap line could be 'a funny story every single day or your money back'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spoken to Colin the Cyborg, an awful lot of :ohmy: from me.

3 did the ride.
No punctures or mechanicals.
They finished at 10pm.
The others struggled towards the end, Col just had some shoulder ache.
'I don't want to brag but they rode on my wheel for the last 30 miles'.
Colin did it on 2 water bottles and a bag of haribo (that'll be my training regime!!).
Plus the bits they you have to buy to get a receipt as checkpoint proof.
They only got lost once, within the last 10 miles.
The drive home was scary.
He'll only do a 40 mile club sprint ride tonight if the weather is ok.
This Sunday he's due to ride from here, to, then round the IOW, before riding home.

The blokes nuts.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Is he the fella that had a bone-crunching off recently? Either way, that is some going.

Just put new tyres on. Noticeably smaller. Gonna slow me down a tad ain't it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's noticeably smaller?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah they look to have a touch less depth.
It's not going to slow you down, that all depends on their rolling resistance compared to what they replaced.
But we're talking 'marginal gains' anyway, for people like us.

I'd imagine confidence in your new tyres will speed you up.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
If you haven't seen today's stage of Tour of Turkey, it's well worth a watch of the closing kms http://www.steephill.tv/players/you...shboard=tour-of-turkey&id=MOuwQ_dQGlY&yr=2014

Pleased as punch I am, and hopefully Tyrone might join me in the chapeau :)

Indeed great result for the young lad. Shame about his bro though. Luckily there wasn't a book available for this one as I was going to lump on large on the broken collar boned one! Would have been a fantastic one two move had they both been up there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here