NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Men in Lycra? Not for me!

But for those who like cycling, take a look at my blog from today: http://www.mataroaming.com/2014/03/25/men-in-lycra-la-volta-comes-to-mataro/
I think the point you missed or just didn't appreciate, because it's not your thing, is the fact that you were able to do what you did.

On the way home did you pop along to Barca, rub shoulders with the first team, inspect their kit, and get autographs moments before kick off?
Next time you're walking down an F1 pit lane, free of charge, 10 minutes before the lights go out, pop along to the local F1 car shop and pick up the exact model Lewis Hamilton is driving, for the price of a small family car.
And another thing.
How about taking any old bike and doing exactly the same as the very best athletes the sport has to offer were doing, the very next day.
You'll not be running on the same track as Usian Bolt, any time soon.

Other than that, at least you made the effort.
Stick around and this time next year you could be giddy at the prospect of going to the event.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nicely put and certainly makes me think about the plus points of the sport more.
Just to ram home the point still further, here's Jnr Stat (blue cap) half an hour before the last stage of the '13 Tour of Britain, in London.
Although I will say, I have know idea how he got, and why they left him, there!!

Attachments

• ToB 2013 046.jpg
    ToB 2013 046.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 129

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Men in Lycra? Not for me!

But for those who like cycling, take a look at my blog from today: http://www.mataroaming.com/2014/03/25/men-in-lycra-la-volta-comes-to-mataro/
Thanks for that, some nice pics and a good perspective. Refreshing to see an genuine open minded approach rather than the boring farts who slate anything they don't like. Fair play to you.

I think the point you missed or just didn't appreciate, because it's not your thing, is the fact that you were able to do what you did.

On the way home did you pop along to Barca, rub shoulders with the first team, inspect their kit, and get autographs moments before kick off?
Next time you're walking down an F1 pit lane, free of charge, 10 minutes before the lights go out, pop along to the local F1 car shop and pick up the exact model Lewis Hamilton is driving, for the price of a small family car.
And another thing.
How about taking any old bike and doing exactly the same as the very best athletes the sport has to offer were doing, the very next day.
You'll not be running on the same track as Usian Bolt, any time soon.

Other than that, at least you made the effort.
Stick around and this time next year you could be giddy at the prospect of going to the event.

Excellent points SB and very well put. What a beautiful haven this thread is.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Could be an interesting indicator at Catalunya today of where the big guns are in terms of prep. I've gone 50p e/ws on outsiders Arredondo and Keldermann for the stage today on the chance that the big guns might keep their powder dry. Unfortunately since found out Arredondo has a bug.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just to ram home the point still further, here's Jnr Stat (blue cap) half an hour before the last stage of the '13 Tour of Britain, in London.
Although I will say, I have know idea how he got, and why they left him, there!!

Is the Hare Krishna fellow behind him you, cosmic religions get you into the best places.

Bloody love the old Mill art work up in Rippendon. Looks like we won't make the great camperthon along the route in Yorkshire but should hopefully catch the sponsors break away and whoosh of the flat stage off the M11 in Cambridgeshire somewhere. We are in Scotland when it kicks off so will be a rush.

Still trying to find a way to get in and out of the Chris Hoy Velodrome on the Saturday night of the Commonwealth games, without paying £500 to a cheap hotel for the pleasure even airBnb have extra expensive sofas to stay on. Shame because it would be great to see CAV riding in the Isle of Man colours going for Gold in the road race as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder if you'll be able to get odds on a OPQS 1-2-3 at Flanders?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I wonder if you'll be able to get odds on a OPQS 1-2-3 at Flanders?

What?...Cav, Renshaw, and big Gert? Why not, sounds perfectly feasible to me :)

I managed to watch the closing 20 kilometres of Cataluyna today. I was interested to see how the GT GC big guns would go. Nothing too exciting in the end as Purito jumps away to win the uphill sprint at the end as per usual. Pleased young Wilco was right up there for me though and looking strong.

I'd have rather watched as much as possible of Dwars door Vlaanderen to be honest but Eurosport don't even have a highlights programme tonight so I picked up scraps from youtube. OPQS looking very good again and showing real strength in depth. Think I might have identified where my £20 free bet is going to go very soon after today's results, just to see if lightning can indeed strike twice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What?...Cav, Renshaw, and big Gert? Why not, sounds perfectly feasible to me :)

I managed to watch the closing 20 kilometres of Cataluyna today. I was interested to see how the GT GC big guns would go. Nothing too exciting in the end as Purito jumps away to win the uphill sprint at the end as per usual. Pleased young Wilco was right up there for me though and looking strong.

I'd have rather watched as much as possible of Dwars door Vlaanderen to be honest but Eurosport don't even have a highlights programme tonight so I picked up scraps from youtube. OPQS looking very good again and showing real strength in depth. Think I might have identified where my £20 free bet is going to go very soon after today's results, just to see if lightning can indeed strike twice.
Over the next 10 days, anyone betting against Terspra, Orlandi, Stybar, even the Italian fella who's name escapes me, needs their head read.

Tour of Cat was such a curious procession.
4 and a half hours 'racing' over some kind of lunar landscape, with no spectators, hell no sign of life.
Then for 2kms you get the grandest of grand tour summit finishes, run at 75%.
The only big boy missing was Nibs.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Over the next 10 days, anyone betting against Terspra, Orlandi, Stybar, even the Italian fella who's name escapes me, needs their head read.

Tour of Cat was such a curious procession.
4 and a half hours 'racing' over some kind of lunar landscape, with no spectators, hell no sign of life.
Then for 2kms you get the grandest of grand tour summit finishes, run at 75%.
The only big boy missing was Nibs.

That Italian fella you probably mean is a name I have little trouble remembering. It's Matteo Trentin, the bloke that nicked a TdF stage win from Albasini last year by a tyres width after doing zero work. The fact that that tyres width cost me a nice little return on Albasini has nothing to do with it of course.

Good summing up of Cataluyna there. It's a shame Nibs is way off form and not there as he would probably have been the best best to light it up out of all of them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't bring myself to do anything about it, but in tomorrows E3, Garmin will be riding all out for Farrar.

Skybet have Farrar at 50/1 (80/1 with PPower)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Enjoyed yesterday's VCaC. A right old mix of scenery. I see Eurospurt are adopting my random-fantasy approach with their listings tonight.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can't bring myself to do anything about it, but in tomorrows E3, Garmin will be riding all out for Farrar.

Skybet have Farrar at 50/1 (80/1 with PPower)

Really? What about Langeveld? Won't Farrer be a better bet for Wevelgem?

Anyway, I can't bring myself to put anything on Farrar and doubt I ever will. You should though if you have a feeling or else you're bound to regret it.

My pocket money will be going on Bozic for tomorrow, then seeing how he fairs hopefully ready for Sunday.

Edit: In fact scrap that. I'm holding fire on Bozic for tomorrow. Will have a think on someone else instead. Bozic strictly for Sunday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now you come to mention it, I think it was Wevelgem the DS was talking about.
He'll still be 50/1 though :lol:

We just past 200,000 views :vuvu:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Now you come to mention it, I think it was Wevelgem the DS was talking about.
He'll still be 50/1 though :lol:

We just past 200,000 views :vuvu:

In your honour SB, and seeing as I did have him half in mind (hence why I was curious you had Farrar down as leader for tomorrow rather than Sunday), I've stuck my 50p e/w on Langeveld for tomorrow. Got to put his OGE disappointments behind him and bag a result for his new team at some point I'd hope.

Hoping there will be a decent highlights package available, or even better a good 2 hour odd re run on youtube tomorrow night. Kids football buggers up Sunday a bit for me again as this week it's all the way over to Saltdean but I might be back in time for some last hour action if I'm lucky. Rather watch a classics race all the way through though to see how they unfold.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In your honour SB, and seeing as I did have him half in mind (hence why I was curious you had Farrar down as leader for tomorrow rather than Sunday), I've stuck my 50p e/w on Langeveld for tomorrow. Got to put his OGE disappointments behind him and bag a result for his new team at some point I'd hope.

Hoping there will be a decent highlights package available, or even better a good 2 hour odd re run on youtube tomorrow night. Kids football buggers up Sunday a bit for me again as this week it's all the way over to Saltdean but I might be back in time for some last hour action if I'm lucky. Rather watch a classics race all the way through though to see how they unfold.
They do seem to have it all.
Between distractions I've been youtubing some Flanders action.
Cancellara certainly puts a hole in my OPQS 1-2-3 plans.
He's been able to beast the course in whatever style of race.

Although Stybar is a respectable 10 ish/1 for Flanders or Roubaix.
As right as Sagan being second favourite probably is, it still seems like a big ask for him.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I'm looking to get myself a hybrid bike, I have a mountain bike at the moment but would like a bike to use on the road. My budget would be a maximum of 250pound. Any advice please..
:)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Agreed on Sagan. Love the rider and will be really pleased to see him finally take a monument, but can't help feeling he's had an awful lot of pressure put on him so young.

Saw some stats recently on Canc for classics podiums, and monuments in particular. I can't remember them of course, but I can tell you they make for bloody impressive reading!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm looking to get myself a hybrid bike, I have a mountain bike at the moment but would like a bike to use on the road. My budget would be a maximum of 250pound. Any advice please..
:)

At that price see if you can grab a Specialized or Boardman type bargain secondhand. Good luck though as the market is over inflated at the moment. Of course, best advice of all is if you want a bike for the road then forget hybrid all together and get a road bike. Despite what you may think, you'll be comfier as you'll have more options position wise with drop handelbars than you will a flat bar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here