[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Of course... I had a ton on him!

If only.

I saw someone elsewhere had £5 e/w on him. Returned about £600 odd. Very nice. Yet like you say, seems so obvious now. Not a massive shock win that's for sure.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Being a workshy, lazy, easily distracted goon, I forget how therapeutic an afternoons felting can be.

As predicted Lil Miss Stat wasn't up for school today putting the kibosh on my ride.
Eventually I turned my attentions to finding the intermittent knocking coming from the front of my bike.

2 hours of stripping down, degunking, 80+ tiny ball bearings polished, regreasing, and rebuilding, the knocking is gone, and it handles brilliantly.

It's amazing what you put up with when over time you don't notice the subtle changes in performance.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
After a long winter on the aluminium, Secteur since you ask, I brought the Roubaix out of hibernation today.

Oh my bloody God. I knew I loved cycling, but I had forgotten just how beautiful it could be. I will NOT be lethargic again.

Unless it's raining and I can't use the Roubaix.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
We had a week of sunshine last week and +20 I was very excited to get the bike out, then it started to snow again :(
Maybe the week after next, fingers crossed.
Went for a Wilier Izoard XP in the end after much talk about the Giant TCR.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
After a long winter on the aluminium, Secteur since you ask, I brought the Roubaix out of hibernation today.

Oh my bloody God. I knew I loved cycling, but I had forgotten just how beautiful it could be. I will NOT be lethargic again.

I like this a lot.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
We had a week of sunshine last week and +20 I was very excited to get the bike out, then it started to snow again :(

Are you in the mountains? Sounds like Alpine weather. How's the Willier?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Proper winter today. Thermal jacket, tights, gilet, gloves+liners this morning for the ride to work.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I've never ridden a Secteur how do the 2 compare?
I swear my other bike is considerably faster than my 'proper' one because it is so rigid.

Mate of mine has a Wilier, which he's always kept hold of irrespective of the latest machine to arrive in his stable.
I have no idea how many times it's been stripped down, and the components moved onto another bike.
But they always find their way back to the Wilier, eventually.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've never ridden a Secteur how do the 2 compare?
I swear my other bike is considerably faster than my 'proper' one because it is so rigid.

The Secteur is great - it has the same geometry as my Roubaix, and is fairly comfortable for an aluminium bike, having the Zertz inserts that the Roubaix has. A perfect winter bike. I genuinely didn't think I'd notice the difference, getting back on the Roubaix.

But the weight distance is noticeable when you pick the bikes up. I love my 105 set up on the Roubaix, it's Sora on the Secteur. It's just better, and faster.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Secteur is great - it has the same geometry as my Roubaix, and is fairly comfortable for an aluminium bike, having the Zertz inserts that the Roubaix has. A perfect winter bike. I genuinely didn't think I'd notice the difference, getting back on the Roubaix.

But the weight distance is noticeable when you pick the bikes up. I love my 105 set up on the Roubaix, it's Sora on the Secteur. It's just better, and faster.
That's what I was wondering.
From the outside looking in they do seem very similar.
Even though I've never ridden a Secteur, they always catch my eye when a 'what bike' pops up (that the SoB's never get back to us :lol:).
My 2, aluminium and carbon, feel and ride very differently.

I tested a Roubaix, back in the day, although I can't really remember, I don't think I was all that taken with it.
I know previously I'd tested a Principia that was stupidly fast, but was so hard I assume it was cut from granite.
I think the Roubaix might have been next and between them the bikes cancelled each other out.
I certainly remember the Roubaix's comfort more than the speed.

I'd have loved to have bought the Principia if only for occasional rides like today (a 10 mile 'sprint').
Although had I done so, I'd be looking in a jar at the crumbling remains of my spine, it really was nuts.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Might as well join in with all the positivity around today.
After nearly 3 weeks of riding 20 odd hilly miles 3 times a week (it's about as much as kids' clubs will allow) things are really starting to look up. 30 miles tonight which inlcluded 2 horrible climbs in the shape of chick hill and stonestile lane. Felt bloody fantastic and loved every minute of it. Even the last steep climb home felt a breeze to how it used to feel. I'm gobsmacked in the change that just a few weeks regular riding can bring and loading up on hilly terrain.
Shovelled in the food when I got home, bathed and now looking forward to Catalunya highlights. Happy days :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Very apt for this appear on my twitter timeline.
I assume this is the direction your stable is heading, Pogue:-

[tweet]448200135726485504[/tweet]

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Might as well join in with all the positivity around today.
After nearly 3 weeks of riding 20 odd hilly miles 3 times a week (it's about as much as kids' clubs will allow) things are really starting to look up. 30 miles tonight which inlcluded 2 horrible climbs in the shape of chick hill and stonestile lane. Felt bloody fantastic and loved every minute of it. Even the last steep climb home felt a breeze to how it used to feel. I'm gobsmacked in the change that just a few weeks regular riding can bring and loading up on hilly terrain.
Shovelled in the food when I got home, bathed and now looking forward to Catalunya highlights. Happy days :)

Go on, rub it in.

I can't wait to get back out.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Very apt for this appear on my twitter timeline.
I assume this is the direction your stable is heading, Pogue:-

[tweet]448200135726485504[/tweet]

I would kill for one of those...

You're right that the Roubaix is not as quick, or as twitchy as some bikes - but it's quick enough for me. I bought it when I was training for LEJOG - my previous bike's frame broke a month before the off, and 1000 miles over 10 days seemed to be crying out for comfort. I tried a few bikes, but the Roubaix just 'fitted' and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Then last year I did the Paris Roubaix sportive, and was substantially more comfortable than [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] was on his Allez (he has since upgraded to a Tarmac, and now says he's gonna buy a Canyon...)

But bloody Hell, that is one beautiful bike in the picture. If it's good enough for Orlandi...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would kill for one of those...

You're right that the Roubaix is not as quick, or as twitchy as some bikes - but it's quick enough for me. I bought it when I was training for LEJOG - my previous bike's frame broke a month before the off, and 1000 miles over 10 days seemed to be crying out for comfort. I tried a few bikes, but the Roubaix just 'fitted' and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Then last year I did the Paris Roubaix sportive, and was substantially more comfortable than [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] was on his Allez (he has since upgraded to a Tarmac, and now says he's gonna buy a Canyon...)

But bloody Hell, that is one beautiful bike in the picture. If it's good enough for Orlandi...
Deffo, I don't think there's to many 'issues' real or imaginary with that bike.

I don't think I had a speed issue with the Roubaix, as such, I certainly don't want you thinking I'm putting your pride and joy down.
It was probably more to do with the crazy nature of the previous bike.
An M5 BMW is going to 'pedestrian' straight after a Lambo, but also a lot safer and more comfortable.

Fella at last weeks Sportive was on a new Canyon, matt black with minimal red outlined writing.
Certainly very striking.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yes, Chamonix. Bike's nice, but then I don't have much to compare it to, I feel comfortable and confident on it. More of a MTB guy but can't ride the trails this time of year so dabble in road riding when it's nice.

Nice. I'm glad to hear it's snowing - I'll be skiing in Val Thorens in two weeks, so the more the better!

rrruss

Wandering Seagull

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports