Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Quick question, sure it has been covered previously but there's 482 pages to search through! What's the view on team kit? Basically, I am looking for a top for the remainder of winter/spring (so cold-ish weather) and have found the following:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-team-saxo-tinkoff-thermal-ls-jersey-2013/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-gruppetto-long-sleeve-jersey/

The ST top claims to be thermal, and is bugger all difference in price, but I don't want to go for it if I'm going to be accused of being the cycling equivalent of a 'full kit wanker'.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Current team kit should only be worn by people paid to ride in it. Retro is ok. Stick to just the jersey though, maybe a cap. The cycling equivalent of a 'full kit wanker' is a full kit wanker.

Alternatively just buy what you like - it's your money. If something's good quality and good value then why not?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There are levels of full kit wankerdom.
Naturally head to toe Sky is the pinnacle.

From then on it goes down by degrees until you reach retro classic.
Talking of which have you looked at what www.prendas.co.uk has in stock.

TBH a bit of saxo without matching shorts and socks should be ok, they need to be black.
The only personal draw back for me would be their lack of ethics, but that can be said about most teams.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Quick question, sure it has been covered previously but there's 482 pages to search through! What's the view on team kit? Basically, I am looking for a top for the remainder of winter/spring (so cold-ish weather) and have found the following:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-team-saxo-tinkoff-thermal-ls-jersey-2013/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-gruppetto-long-sleeve-jersey/

The ST top claims to be thermal, and is bugger all difference in price, but I don't want to go for it if I'm going to be accused of being the cycling equivalent of a 'full kit wanker'.

I wouldn't go for a team top personally, but then don't really have any view on those that do. Have you had a look at Sport Pursuit website? They get loads of excess stock etc. and I've picked up some great kit from them often at a bargain.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think we've done this before but as [MENTION=3697]sten_super[/MENTION] started it, what the hell.

Sky and their livery has really dullified (that is a word) cycling clothing.
It was only a matter of time before they got into bed with Rapha, but even before then the peloton was quick to follow Sky's lead.

Sure when a high end product comes to market, cheaper similar products will appear.
(I'm now going to subvert my argument)
I like the Torm jerseys, probably more than Rapha ones.
My first reaction this morning was 'I'd definitely have the Sportful over the Saxo'.

(Now back to the point in question)
But there's so much stuff out there that's the same.
I'm never wearing La Vie Claire or Brooklyn, but at least there was a place of it, although I do have a 'Z' jersey.
I'd hate to think what I'd look like in Euskadel, but it was there, and it was a brand.

I'm yet to see many of this seasons pro tour kits, but a bet more look similar this year, than last.

Last edited:

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Did anyone see BBC Breakfast yesterday?

Sheryl Crow was on and, in the middle of a friendly album plug, Bill Turnbull, out-of-the-blue, asked about what she thought of Lance Armstrong's 'recent troubles'

Her stunned face was a picture as she was momuntarily rendered mute

I haven't got one yet, but my next jersey is coming from Torm - Rapha style for a third of the price:

http://torm.cc/products.html

Quality is probably nowhere near Rapha's league, but I love the look.

Bloody hell, cracking stuff. Thanks for this [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION], love the look of these (although I'm sure they look far better on the website than they would on my overweight frame!) and think I will end up getting something from here. Love the look of the T8, T11 and T12s and they are reasonably priced as well.

My typical cycling accessory shopping trip consists of little more than a trip to Wiggle, so I'm very open to alternative brands and websites like this.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Bloody hell, cracking stuff. Thanks for this [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION], love the look of these (although I'm sure they look far better on the website than they would on my overweight frame!) and think I will end up getting something from here. Love the look of the T8, T11 and T12s and they are reasonably priced as well.

My typical cycling accessory shopping trip consists of little more than a trip to Wiggle, so I'm very open to alternative brands and websites like this.

Glad you share my sense of style - I haven't bought from Torm though, not yet, therefore I can't vouch for the quality or service.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Just ordered some more thermal socks from Prendas.

I know for a FACT they will be here tomorrow morning, cos Prendas are:-

BRILLIANT!!!

My wife is going to hate me - but I've just bought winter gloves, a jacket, a 2011 Leopard-Trek s/s jersey and socks from Prendas for £93, and a pair of padded tights for £40 from Wiggle. Just got to convince her to let me buy the TORM l/s jersey and I'll be sorted (for now)...

edit: and now, a whole 10 minutes after putting in the order, I've had a dispatch email. See what you mean, [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]!

edit: oh god, now I'm really going to be in the shit. I may have 'accidentally' ended up buying one of the TORM tops and also an Embers Merino one from Sport Pursuit. If you haven't heard from me in a couple of days tell the coppers to look under the patio...

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My wife is going to hate me - but I've just bought winter gloves, a jacket, a 2011 Leopard-Trek s/s jersey and socks from Prendas for £93, and a pair of padded tights for £40 from Wiggle. Just got to convince her to let me buy the TORM l/s jersey and I'll be sorted (for now)...

edit: and now, a whole 10 minutes after putting in the order, I've had a dispatch email. See what you mean, [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]!

edit: oh god, now I'm really going to be in the shit. I may have 'accidentally' ended up buying one of the TORM tops and also an Embers Merino one from Sport Pursuit. If you haven't heard from me in a couple of days tell the coppers to look under the patio...
T'is about blooming time I got a commission from Prendas.

I couldn't help but order one of their 'Belgian' Winter hats, as well.
Chances are Prendas is the only 'brand' name I actively wear.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Provisional regular fantasy team:-

1 x Renault
1 x BMW
1 x Fiat
1 x DAF truck, now that's ironic.
1 x Citroen
1 x Holden
1 x Skoda (bit iffy that one)
1 x Zenvo :shrug:
1 x Mowag Ortsdienstwagen, double :shrug:

And yes it took me considerably longer to write this post, than it did to pick my team.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Thanks all for the website suggestions - [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], I've already signed up for Sport Pursuit using your reference. I don't think I'm going to go for the Saxo top, already found alternatives on Wiggle and Sport Pursuit.

Go for the Saxo top. Sod it, I will.

I'm a committed paid up member of the full kit wanker club. Ok, not complete matching stuff.

I love all the team tops.

Go for it. £28! Brilliant price.

You've gotta look the best to be the best.

Ps; my Sky skin suit is on order.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Provisional regular fantasy team:-

1 x Renault
1 x BMW
1 x Fiat
1 x DAF truck, now that's ironic.
1 x Citroen
1 x Holden
1 x Skoda (bit iffy that one)
1 x Zenvo :shrug:
1 x Mowag Ortsdienstwagen, double :shrug:

And yes it took me considerably longer to write this post, than it did to pick my team.

Is the Skoda iffy because it is secretly packing a German engine?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is the Skoda iffy because it is secretly packing a German engine?
No its iffy because they are made there, but im less sure of their provenance.
That part of the world was a lot easier to fathom when there was only 3 countries to think about.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I know I've said it before, but being as Stat bangs on about Prendas...

Go Morvelo! They're from Brighton! Their clothes are the definition of cycling style, and as someone who thought that the comfort of Assos could not be matched, they match Assos for comfort.

http://www.morvelo.com/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here