[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The potential problem with Halfords is the same problem with all massive high street brands, staff consistency.
Anyone one of us could have Halfords greatest ever bike technician,ever, working in their local branch.
But the reverse is just as likely.

Saying 'wow the fella down at 'Frauds is excellent', is nowhere near as fun as the knuckle dragging, grease monkey story, (which I can tell). So their reputation isn't going to change anytime soon.

Whereas, even though none of us have been to the 3 shops I mentioned to culver, we'd like to think we know what service awaits.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=188]culvers[/MENTION] - I've been out for a coffee and fish finger sandwich with my colleague & cycling buddy.
Once all the 'other' stuff was out of the way we were finally able to talk about the important things in life - bikes.
(Oh yes people I am this riveting away from the keyboard too).

He was talking about the amount of new suppliers around now and I mentioned yesterdays Forme.
He was very dismissive of the Mircoshift components, stating the gear shift mechanism in the brakes don't work in the conventional manner. For that reason he wouldn't buy the bike he was looking at, for his son.

Between our respective houses and the coffee shop is our Local Bike Shop, (don't worry, we're not far away from the point to all of this) Glyn had one of these in his window:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...nitedKingdom&gclid=CJSDz6W6qLwCFXGWtAodMRUAxg

As with the Forme you found, the £750 initial price tag would appear to be a little unrealistic.
Glyn's is reduced and for sale at £635. At which point I was going to say:-

'For the sake of £135, on a bike your not going to ride much in the next 2-3 months anyway. I'd hang on and save/spend the money, at your LBS, on a bike that's less mongrel'.

Clearly goggling the bike has thrown up a valuable lesson in homework & haggling.
Before you fully commit you might find the bike of your dreams cheaper on-line.
The shop may well help you out, still further, with the price.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Am I allowed to like that Cube?
Yeah, I think that's fine, as said my LBS now stocks Cube's (hahaha unintentional).
They do seem to have put a lot of work into design and styling.
Some, to me, look shocking but there are a fair few very striking bikes in their range.

I didn't like to say at the time, but CR had a further 10% discount on it, bringing it down to £480 ish.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Heads up - Tour of Qatar fantasy competition is open.

Let the sprintfest countdown begin.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep, a little while away yet and a warm up event to watch out for form before that too.

I'm excited by Sam Bennett starting.

Which reminds me...how good was Adam Yates in Tour de San Luis the other week!? Very impressive step up by him, even if a lot of the big names in that race are only there for training rides. Youth jersey winner will do nicely for his OGE debut I reckon :clap2:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I didn't see any of the tour of San Luis, but read about it a bit. I've got high hopes for the Yates brothers, and that really is a fantastic debut.

Are they related in any way to Sean?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I didn't see any of the tour of San Luis, but read about it a bit. I've got high hopes for the Yates brothers, and that really is a fantastic debut.

Are they related in any way to Sean?

No, not as far as I'm aware.

In other news though, we have their autographs from the Tour of Britain :)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Heads up - Tour of Qatar fantasy competition is open.

Let the sprintfest countdown begin.

Got a team in just in case I forget.

2 Flemeisters
1 who makes trains run on time
1 rusty car manufacturer
1 suburban braveheart
1 yodeler
1 local
1 army knife carrier
1 shrugger

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tyrone, how did you like this years Tour Down Under?

I thought it was a cracking race this year, and I can see the event going from strength to strength with this continued move away from favouring pure sprinters into a puncheurs type race.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
5 weeks and still not really fit to ride. Gave it a go this morning planning a leisurely 30 miles or so, but the thought of trying to fix a rear wheel puncture after 6 miles resulted in an about turn and a walk instead. If I can combine a bit of healthy eating and jogging while these ribs finally mend, I might be able to ride out with a bit of a swagger next time. I'd really like to join the pros on the long REMF ride this year, so have a goal to aim for.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm guessing [MENTION=188]culvers[/MENTION] either didn't go shopping, for found nothing to buy.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Found some damage to my tyre but that was not the cause of the flat. The tiniest of sharp stones was. Choker. Synae is due a (free) service soon. Better get her cleaned up to save been asked that I'm aware she's not a cyclocross.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Oman team selected...

2 pints of Fosters
2 pints of Becks
An Oranjeboom
A Leffe
A Feldschlösschen
A Peroni
And a small glass of cheap Champagne