Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Still just the one non-turbo ride in 3 months!

Have agreed to do the London to Brighton next year. It's with a few mates who don't cycle much so at least it should be fairly steady and I shouldn't need to do any training.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Can't believe nobody, not even Guy Martin, mentioned that his 112mph was on sand. Wouldn't surprise me to see him try that again but on tarmac.

Lost the front again at low speed a mile from home yesterday. Slammed down on my right shoulder. Defo some rib injuries. What has your prot been advised about this stat?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't believe nobody, not even Guy Martin, mentioned that his 112mph was on sand. Wouldn't surprise me to see him try that again but on tarmac.

Lost the front again at low speed a mile from home yesterday. Slammed down on my right shoulder. Defo some rib injuries. What has your prot been advised about this stat?
What are you doing?
I don't understand what you mean by lost the front at low speed?
Were you cornering a bit sharp or something and slide out?

My mate's back home now but all his family are there so just a few texts,.
I'll pop round when all the kids and his teaching assistant wife are back at school, and he's climbing the walls.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I was only going round a roundabout using proper cycle lanes, so like crossing a dual carriageway. As I went on to the pavement and turned right into the path, the front went awol. As it was a slight uphill there was no sliding on impact. My rib cage was injured by my arm's position. The good news is nobody saw and jersey is not torn.

Just in front of the BM.

View attachment 49826

Never done ribs before. I guess its just take it easy and try not to inhale too deeply too often.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I thought it was a bit weird doing it on sand, although I understand why they felt they had to. I would have thought it would slow him right down and it will certainly bugger up the bike - although with money clearly no object they wouldn't care about that and it's not as if anyone will be riding that bike down to the local shops and back anyway :lol:

You have my sympathies on the ribs injury. I done my ribs once (well, twice as it goes) playing football. Just clashed with a bigger stronger player as we both went up for a header. No intent on his part. Was bloody painful as there was no escaping the pain. Hurt when I breathed and couldn't sleep properly for weeks afterwards as no position was comfortable. On returning to football after resting up I somehow managed to do the same thing all other again, probably because the original injury hadn't fully healed.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Still just the one non-turbo ride in 3 months! ...

This holiday weather has been a right pain. Just two dry sunny days and I've used both to get the kids out of the house as we're all climbing the walls. We took the bikes over to Rye Nature Reserve yesterday and it was busier than a Summers day! - cyclists, dog walkers, bird watchers and whole families just out walking. You could see the huge collective sigh of relief as everyone took advantage of getting out of the house for some fresh air.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Completely put off road cycling at the moment, as I was nearly knocked off my bike three weeks ago. Ever since then my confidence with other drivers and having to always second guess what they are going to do has turned cycling in to a headache for me now. Even the day after, I had some stupid driver cut in front of me at one of the road islands where one side of the road has priority over the other.
They misjudged the speed of the oncoming car, so you guessed it I needed to apply the brakes otherwise I would have ended up in the back. Sick of it at the moment.

Thinking of getting a mountain bike now, at least I can go off road and keep as far away from cars as possible. I drive myself, so understand to keep my distance and give cyclists space, shame the same does not seem to compute with other drivers. I have seen bad cyclists too.

I took my old mountain bike out in the woods a few weeks back. Can't say I enjoyed the actual ride to be honest as the uneven ride isn't really my thing, but I know exactly what you mean. On a road bike riding through the forest for miles on smooth tarmac would be absolute heaven! Tarmac running through forests for miles though, I might sort of be missing the point :lol:

SB is spot on about putting your recent bad experience in perspective. Cycled hours compared to incidents really should give you hope but it's easy to see how bad experiences can get you down. Hang in there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bloody hell, Turbos are hard work, aren't they?
As said, someone has accidentally wiped themselves off your Christmas present list :lol:

There are 'sufferfest' (I think, I'll look later) videos that take you through a planned workout, instead of just rolling through the 'miles'.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
As said, someone has accidentally wiped themselves off your Christmas present list :lol:

There are 'sufferfest' (I think, I'll look later) videos that take you through a planned workout, instead of just rolling through the 'miles'.

Yes, I thought that was probably what you meant. :smile:

Sufferfest videos. That sounds fun!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
For those of you with deep pockets and a certain sense of style, the rapha sale has started at http://www.rapha.cc/shop/sale/.

I won't be partaking, but I do quite like rapha's style. Although their prices are very steep!

Got my first road bike the other day - I know 'Decathlon' is a dirty word for some, but I got a B'twin triban 5. For a similar spec with other brands, I would have needed to pay £600+, rather than the £430 this was going for. I can always buy something better in a year's time if I get bitten by the bug. Now I just need to wait for a non-windy day to take it out.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
For those of you with deep pockets and a certain sense of style, the rapha sale has started at http://www.rapha.cc/shop/sale/.

I won't be partaking, but I do quite like rapha's style. Although their prices are very steep!

Got my first road bike the other day - I know 'Decathlon' is a dirty word for some, but I got a B'twin triban 5. For a similar spec with other brands, I would have needed to pay £600+, rather than the £430 this was going for. I can always buy something better in a year's time if I get bitten by the bug. Now I just need to wait for a non-windy day to take it out.

Cheers for that. Even at those sale prices Rapha is horribly overpriced, so I won't be partaking either.

If you want a brand that offers quality and style, but is nothing like as expensive, go Morvelo. The fact that they are a local company makes them even more essential!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Shame you can't hook up a turbo to an XBox, or can you?

Rapha stuff feels like you could go through a hedge backwards and it would not rear. Is Morvelo like that?

Another question. My next purchase, a decent lid (Kask Mojito) or proper shoes?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Shame you can't hook up a turbo to an XBox, or can you?

Rapha stuff feels like you could go through a hedge backwards and it would not rear. Is Morvelo like that?

Another question. My next purchase, a decent lid (Kask Mojito) or proper shoes?

Rapha tears, believe me...

Morvelo jerseys are lovely, you barely know you've wearing them, and they wick the sweat away really well. They have some fantastic looking ones, too.

The shorts are really comfortable, and the pad is the closest I've seen to Assos quality at about a third of the price.

You need proper shoes! Check out Evans and Wiggle, both have online sales right now..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Deffo shoes will also marginally help climbing.

You boys need to do all your shopping through www.prendas.co.uk.

I got jnr a Sky jersey for Christmas, the age older than he is and it was tiny (he's no chunky monkey).
So I sent it back Saturday, and today (next day service) not only did the bigger jersey arrive but this too, by way of apology for something that wasn't their fault:-

View attachment 49847
A Prendas GB cotton cycling cap

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here