Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Massively enjoying this Giro.

Today's stage delivered in spades - looked like G was going to take a few seconds out of Roglic, but conceded a few in the end.

Whilst Gee has been great fun - wish he'd been able to hold on today - he deserves a stage win.

I'm planning my day tomorrow around the time trial - come on G!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I think I need therapy, I’m starting to enjoy off road ride more than on the road. I’ve even started staring into the middle distance. 😯
1685168762199.png

Mate, therapy is not what you need. I've been that way for a few years now.

Here I am, doing what MTB riders do.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From 07:00, incredible stuff. In an amazing Roman setting, this time modern gladiators.

This is what Geraint had to say about Cav:

“He’s so special. For 25 years he has been one of my best friends. You see how optimistic and upbeat he is. He’s always glass-half-full. More than a bike rider, he’s a f------ good person and friend.”

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
From 07:00, incredible stuff. In an amazing Roman setting, this time modern gladiators.

This is what Geraint had to say about Cav:

“He’s so special. For 25 years he has been one of my best friends. You see how optimistic and upbeat he is. He’s always glass-half-full. More than a bike rider, he’s a f------ good person and friend.”

Thanks for this - I missed it yesterday, so this is some consolation for that.

I hope that G can help him to one more stage in the TdF too. These two guys - my favourite British sportsmen ever, I think.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks for this - I missed it yesterday, so this is some consolation for that.

I hope that G can help him to one more stage in the TdF too. These two guys - my favourite British sportsmen ever, I think.
I missed it live too.

That’s my hope. After missing out entirely last TdF, even more motivated.

I love the TdF anyway, excited!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some mountain bikers have just sat at the table next me, (Let's gloss over the fact we couldn't be further from an incline if we tried), these guys even give mountain bikers a bad name.

Absolute weapons and they've all ordered the same breakfast.
I've gotta go before their pointing arms, which I guarantee have been overworked this morning, are back to being match fit.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Some mountain bikers have just sat at the table next me, (Let's gloss over the fact we couldn't be further from an incline if we tried), these guys even give mountain bikers a bad name.

Absolute weapons and they've all ordered the same breakfast.
I've gotta go before their pointing arms, which I guarantee have been overworked this morning, are back to being match fit.
f55a9318-b8bd-448b-825d-04b9ba37332e.jpeg

I can see you Stat, you slag.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Anyone else getting really fed up with this seemingly constant wind, whicheverway I cycle it seems to be a headwind. There seems to have been no let up for weeks and weeks.
If not for the wind it would be perfect cycling weather, but its taking a lot of the enjoyment out of it, at least for me it is

Well, what as difference in wind conditions, almost at the time I posted this the wind completl;y changed, and what a huge difference it made to riding over the weekend. I actually enjoyed all of the rides without battling against an incesant head wind. Hopefully the wind will remain in this more normal pattern for a while

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I cycle regularly throughout each year and for the past 8 years I've ridden the same Specialized Sirrus hybrid.
I got ill around November and didn't get over it until April, in which time I actually put on about half a stone in weight and found I couldn't be arsed to get out on my bike again.
Each time the weather was good I'd jump on my motorbike and enjoy the sun instead of cycling somewhere.
So over this last week I sold my KTM and bought myself one of these:
IMG_2541.jpeg

Now there's no way I'd ever consider spending the money to buy one new and even second hand I had to spend far too much but I've been out every day since getting it. It's done the trick and got me back out getting fit again.
It's got electric assistance but it only assists in a small range up to 16 mph ish so you still have to put the work in 99% of the time.
We don't have many proper hills up this way but handy to have even that short bit of relief when my legs start to feel it on the way back home.
It's been windy here too although today it seems quite still.
I fell into the " blimey I feel fit today" trap, only realising I was just going with the wind when it came time to turn around and plod my way home.
Oh and inconsiderate car drivers. Must overtake must overtake close when waiting two seconds would get them a clear road. And I catch them up at the next roundabout anyhow.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Do we have any mechanically minded people on here? I've been struggling with a clicking noise on my road bike for the last month or two. Took it to a bike shop that said the problem was with the rear wheel / read hub. Replaced both wheels and the clicking is still there. It's only when I put a decent amount of load down, and only when I push down on the left crank.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it worth changing the bottom bracket in case that's the issue? The bike is 10 years old, had chainset, cassette and chain replaced in teh last 3 months or so. Bottom bracket has never been replaced.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Do we have any mechanically minded people on here? I've been struggling with a clicking noise on my road bike for the last month or two. Took it to a bike shop that said the problem was with the rear wheel / read hub. Replaced both wheels and the clicking is still there. It's only when I put a decent amount of load down, and only when I push down on the left crank.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it worth changing the bottom bracket in case that's the issue? The bike is 10 years old, had chainset, cassette and chain replaced in teh last 3 months or so. Bottom bracket has never been replaced.
First port of call is to clean and grease up the drop outs. Wouldn't mind betting that'll be it :thumbsup:

Edit: Clicks often sound like they're coming from the bottom bracket, even when they're not. That should be your last resort fix as it's the most expensive and tricky to do.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
First port of call is to clean and grease up the drop outs. Wouldn't mind betting that'll be it :thumbsup:

Edit: Clicks often sound like they're coming from the bottom bracket, even when they're not. That should be your last resort fix as it's the most expensive and tricky to do.
Great, thank you. Always happy to hear about a cost-free solution! I'll give them a clean and grease and let you know how it goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here