Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:smile:

Okay, after all these years, I am finally going to ask.

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis?

It's all YOU lot ever do.

If I had a pound for every mountain biker I saw, in the middle of nowhere, astride their top tube, point offing into the middle distance, I'd be an incredibly wealthy Stat.

cycling-on-the-isle-of-wight-500x375.jpg

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Were you wearing padded shorts? I always wear them under my baggy MTB shorts, and never get saddle sore.

Are you on Strava, and if so are have you joined the NSC geeks club? You really must! I'd love to see your rides in Ontario, with pictures attached.

Just downloaded Strava, ahead of today's ride :thumbsup:

And I'm going to look into padded shorts!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Blimey it's complicated trying to buy a bike nowadays :lolol:

Can someone tell me the correlation between frame size and wheel size? Different websites list bikes by either method.

I'm 5 foot 10 with a 31 inch inside leg. What size bike do I need?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Blimey it's complicated trying to buy a bike nowadays :lolol:

Can someone tell me the correlation between frame size and wheel size? Different websites list bikes by either method.

I'm 5 foot 10 with a 31 inch inside leg. What size bike do I need?

https://bikesizechart.com/

All depends on what bike you’re after. My road bikes are 54’s or medium. I’m slightly taller than you, If you want a more in-depth explanation I’m sure Stat will be along shortly. :D

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
https://bikesizechart.com/

All depends on what bike you’re after. My road bikes are 54’s or medium. I’m slightly taller than you, If you want a more in-depth explanation I’m sure Stat will be along shortly. :D

It seems like I'm not needed.

54/55/56 ought to be fine.
[MENTION=82]pasty[/MENTION] as banjo says it would help to know what style of bike you're looking at.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It seems like I'm not needed.

54/55/56 ought to be fine.

[MENTION=82]pasty[/MENTION] as banjo says it would help to know what style of bike you're looking at.

Hybrid I think. Don't want/need mountain bike as I only intend cycling on roads/cycle paths, but don't want the drop down handle bars on road bikes. And under £300

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Ideally, you would be 'measured up' [MENTION=82]pasty[/MENTION]. A few years back I went with a girl from work to buy a bike. Despite same frame sizes even I could see the differences in posture, so she was helped to choose one to minimize discomfort if you know what I mean.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hybrid I think. Don't want/need mountain bike as I only intend cycling on roads/cycle paths, but don't want the drop down handle bars on road bikes. And under £300

Ok so yeah size wise 'medium' is all good.

For the bike and money I'm a big fan of 'keep it simple stooopid'.

So basic front suspension does nothing but add weight.
As does any oversized tubing/seat/tyres etc.

You'll get the most from a new bike by keeping it light, ascetically you'll think bike X is better because it looks comfy, but you'll ride 'uncomfortable' bike y considerably more because it's easy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
ABSOLUTELY NOT A RECOMMENDATION - [MENTION=82]pasty[/MENTION]

But googling £300 hybrid, bought up this comparison about bikes I've never heard of, from an equally unknown supplier

At first glance would appear to fulfill your needs:-

https://www.bikester.co.uk/979004.html

Ah but his one looks so much more comfortable and it's the same price:-

https://www.bikester.co.uk/serious-cedar-street-black-matt-1122716.html

They are both heavy bikes but the black 'comfortable' one is 2 bags of sugar heavier, very soon that would be a dog to ride.

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a colleague.
He was always poor, we were rotund, he was very unfit, lived 2 milers from work, drove every day:-

'I really don't like cycling'.
'Why not?'
'It's such hard work'.
'What bike do you have?'
'I got it from Argus, it's got full suspension and only cost £150'.
'F**k me, I'd hate riding that as well'.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Two weeks ago, I did a ride that saw me up one of the two hardest hills on my manor, and then one slightly off it. I PBed the first and 2nded the second. Today I did a ride that the did the other of the two hardest plus the third hardest and PBed both.

Now today's joint hardest one. Last year I felt ill near the top and that as explained by my record bpm. Today, not even granny gear deployed and bpm maximum 15 lower. I fukken love weight loss and roller sessions during the week (now three 15 minuters each morning).

I must have a go at Yorks whilst in best shape.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know it's written specifically to get a reaction but WTF

Rod Liddle in today's Sunday Times:-

Every day it’s the same. Walk out of my front door with the dog to be swept aside, into a hedge, by a middle-class family from the city who think they’re all Bradley bloody Wiggins. Daddy and Piers, 11, in the peloton. Mummy bringing up the rear with little Poppy, 6, and Oliver, 4. All in Lycra, all with their energy drinks and fatuous expressions on their faces, expressions of self-righteousness and irreproachable virtue. This is a local lane for local people — go back to your tenements, I shout at them. My wife has persuaded me that, strictly speaking, it is against the law to tie piano wire at neck height across the road. Oh, but it’s tempting.

https://road.cc/content/news/liddle-tempting-use-piano-wire-against-cyclists-273749

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Does anyone know if the strava overhaul is going to bollox up clubs for people unwilling to pay from premuim (or whatever it is called)?

Anyway, I launched well into the top 20% up Ide Hill this morning with a much improved PB. Once middle ring got too much I span up the rest noting the cadence close to my old rolling number. Feels good.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Gave Plumpton Bostal a go yesterday. F*** me, that was a vicious b******. Incredibly steep for the first half, and only doable on an MTB / Gravel bike because of the loose surface.
Wont be trying it again in a hurry....but glad I did it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Does anyone know if the strava overhaul is going to bollox up clubs for people unwilling to pay from premuim (or whatever it is called)?

Anyway, I launched well into the top 20% up Ide Hill this morning with a much improved PB. Once middle ring got too much I span up the rest noting the cadence close to my old rolling number. Feels good.

Was just going to post about this, has really peed me off. I wouldn't mind paying but £4/month is way too much for not a lot.

I also tried to do a long post about social distancing the other day but it got lost somewhere. Seriously what the hell is it with pedestrians? It's like you're completely invisible. They also walk practically on the kerb, and come and stand as close to you as possible when you're waiting at traffic lights. Other bikes are generally being great and leaving loads of room but pedestrians are clueless.

I wouldn't normally like to make generalisations like this but it's ALL of them.

D

Deleted member 22389

About 6-7 years ago someone nearly knocked me off my bike. The driver pulled right out in front of me, and I was lucky no to go under the wheels. It shock me up badly at the time. After that incident, my joy for cycling slowly started going down the pan. I was getting angrier and angrier cycling on the roads, until I eventually gave up the bike completely.

I will get another bike, but the next one will be a mountain bike. I can keep out of the way of cars and the only thing I need to worry about is ramblers.
Anyway my question is, I'm looking to spend about £300 - £400, can you get anything half decent for that money. I just want a hard tail bike.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
About 6-7 years ago someone nearly knocked me off my bike. The driver pulled right out in front of me, and I was lucky no to go under the wheels. It shock me up badly at the time. After that incident, my joy for cycling slowly started going down the pan. I was getting angrier and angrier cycling on the roads, until I eventually gave up the bike completely.

I will get another bike, but the next one will be a mountain bike. I can keep out of the way of cars and the only thing I need to worry about is ramblers.

I went over the handlebars of my MTB only last week attempting a jump my 13 yr old son said was just a simple one as long as you go fast enough. Went over at the top of the jump so dropped a good 2m onto face (luckily I turned just enough that helmet caught most of the impact, and I think I have a cracked rib, torn shoulder muscle, and some scrapes on hand and arm. #staysafe

Thing is, even though I’m 46 the brain still operates around 16-26 levels of risk taking.:rolleyes:

What I would say about spending £300-400 is avoiding excess weight. Really think about exactly the type of riding you will do because cheap suspension forks weigh quite a bit and actually perform pretty badly. Decathlon Rockrider’s are decent enough but I think you have to get toward their midrange.

If really you’re going to be doing gravel paths and bridle ways, you may think about ditching any suspensions altogether.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here