Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We need to find a bike for [MENTION=82]pasty[/MENTION] before jealousy gets hold and he mows all of us down at a T-junction.
(It'll be our fault)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Back in the day of not WFH I used to walk past one, or a relative of it, regularly. It really is quite a captivating design.

You're not helping.

The gears are automatic but you can tailor the ratio of gear change to speed by the app.
You can lock/unlock it from your phone (there is a key code manual override)
A constant alarm sounds if it is being stolen, plus all the electrics shut down.
It has inbuilt GPS so is instantly traceable.
3 different bell sounds!!
The control panel is dot matrix on the top tube.

and that's just scratching the surface.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sadly I saw intimidation and bullying of a bike rider today. We were cycling up from Poynings to Devils Dyke, behind a female rider aged about 20. For the right turn off to the Dyke, she signalled right with her arm, looked round, then moved over and waited in the dead centre with her arm signalling right again.

There was plenty of room for a middle aged oaf in something like a Toyota Landcruiser, heading south, to get past. But he decided to stop and launched a volley of abuse against her, on her failings, with expletives. She tried to politely argue her case, but was shouted down.

The bottom line imo is that the tosser simply hates riders, thinks he owns the road, and hated not being able to bomb that route.

My experience of receiving unwarranted abuse when on my bike is that it's always fat middle-aged men. Always.

Often it's the classic about road tax/VED. Although I don't seem to get the same abuse when I'm driving about in my car, which is exempt from VED as well.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I got a bit of abuse last week going into Glynde by an old fella in his 80's out walking his dog.

I was coming down to the junction from along Ranscombe Lane, & he crossed the road about 20 yards in front of me without looking behind him - luckily I had slowed right down as I had seen what he was doing, and was at walking pace as I swung out wide to give him plenty of room. "Morning" I said cheerily as I glided past slowly so as not to spook him or the dog....

"We need more Coronavirus to keep people like you at home!" he shouted back.

Errrr....."Excuse me?!"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In homage to [MENTION=41]Tesco in Disguise[/MENTION] I've spent the last 10 minutes throwing this together

unnamed.png

Thereby proving, once again, I really should stay in my own lane and why I'll be shopping at TiD store, real soon.

Oh and it's blue and yellow because I can't change the colour of the heraldic Martlet, which I quite like..
(But scholars of my 'work' knew that already! :lol: )

As is customary, I have a couple of important issues I need to deal with, so if anyone wants to help me procrastinate crack on with your ideas.

unnamed (1).png

Last edited:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I got a bit of abuse last week going into Glynde by an old fella in his 80's out walking his dog.

I was coming down to the junction from along Ranscombe Lane, & he crossed the road about 20 yards in front of me without looking behind him - luckily I had slowed right down as I had seen what he was doing, and was at walking pace as I swung out wide to give him plenty of room. "Morning" I said cheerily as I glided past slowly so as not to spook him or the dog....

"We need more Coronavirus to keep people like you at home!" he shouted back.

Errrr....."Excuse me?!"

I hope you told him to Sod off.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I hope you told him to Sod off.

I got some fearful abuse from a miserable couple the other day. I was on a MTB ride with Mrs. Mahone, and we were descending through woods on a bridle path when we came across them.

We slowed to a halt, and I said, extremely politely, "Excuse me, can we squeeze past?"

The woman went off on one and the bloke joined in, screaming abuse at us.

"You don't care about pedestrians!" "I hope the police catch you and fine you £100!" "Get on the road, you shouldn't be cycling on a footpath!"

And much more. I have filtered out the swear words.

Mrs. Mahone got on her bike and cycled on. I stopped and, again extremely politely, attempted to calm them down and explain that we were doing nothing wrong, were not 'bloody hooligans', and that in my opinion, they were, perhaps, being a little bit, shall we say, hysterical, and somewhat rude.

They didn't listen to a word that I had to say, and continued to shout abuse.

Eventually I gave up, and got on my bike. I cycled away from them.

I did, as you suggested [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION], tell them to sod off.

But I didn't use the word 'sod'.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Took my new Trek Marlin out for a ride last Sunday. 50km ride, yet still saddle sore today!

Were you wearing padded shorts? I always wear them under my baggy MTB shorts, and never get saddle sore.

Are you on Strava, and if so are have you joined the NSC geeks club? You really must! I'd love to see your rides in Ontario, with pictures attached.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I got some fearful abuse from a miserable couple the other day. I was on a MTB ride with Mrs. Mahone, and we were descending through woods on a bridle path when we came across them.

We slowed to a halt, and I said, extremely politely, "Excuse me, can we squeeze past?"

"You don't care about pedestrians!" "I hope the police catch you and fine you £100!" "Get on the road, you shouldn't be cycling on a footpath!"

Mrs. Mahone got on her bike and cycled on. I stopped and, again extremely politely, attempted to calm them down and explain that we were doing nothing wrong, were not 'bloody hooligans', and that in my opinion, they were, perhaps, being a little bit, shall we say, hysterical, and somewhat rude.

I was trying to be polite :lolol: it’s a shame some people are miserable (sods) in the main most people are very considerate.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Team walker. :D

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ha!

Come on, get off those skinny tyres, find some suspension and put some baggy clothes on...and get out in the sunshine. I bet you're loving this warm weather.

:smile:

My first time out on a proper ride since before lockdown was Wednesday and yesterday evening.

Both gorgeous evenings, east into Kent, barely any cars and no others cyclists. Dry country lanes, Summer kit and 25mm tyres. Marvellous scenes! :banana:

Used the commuter though. This evening I shall put the turbo bike away and get the Summer bike back out. Then it's evening rides galore as often as I can from here on in :thumbsup:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My first time out on a proper ride since before lockdown was Wednesday and yesterday evening.

Both gorgeous evenings, east into Kent, barely any cars and no others cyclists. Dry country lanes, Summer kit and 25mm tyres. Marvellous scenes! :banana:

Blimey, that has got to be the first time I have ever seen you being positive about the conditions when the temperature is above 10 degrees!

I really don't get out on the road bike much these days, unless I'm in France. I've grown rather fond of my 60mm knobbly tyres, deserted trails and never a car in sight.

I have even converted [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION], who always swore that he would NEVER get an MTB. Well, he's got one, and we are meeting for a socially distanced tour of local trails tomorrow.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pogue and Hamilton tomorrow:-

[tweet]1263833430426619906[/tweet]

Anything less and frankly I'll be somewhat disappointed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Prepare yourself for a smidgeon of disappointment.

That is magnificent.

I thought stopping half way just to point off into the middle distance, was a bit much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here