Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Customary rant about VAR...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Replay shows pretty much that too
A shove in the back in the box not given as a penalty is very seldom over ruled if the ref waves play on though. I can think of a few that we haven’t got this season because of it :shrug:

It’s wank

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have to confess I was waiting for the check on Velts goal.
Didn't celebrate.
You could see from where I am (WSU, slightly north of halfway) that Emerson was playing us well onside. The illusion of offside was created by West Ham’s defence playing an impromptu game of “statues”. They all won

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Really? How do you know that?

Why no giant "VAR check" on the screen and the interminable 5 minute wait as everyone stands around like lemons until the clowns at VAR have made up their minds?
All Goals are checked by VAR please wake up.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He had an excellent game. Easy to criticise refs week in, week out.....but only right to give plaudits as well.
The only thing I still can't agree with is players sitting down and being allowed to be attended to. Lamptey sat down twice. This annoys me. Can you walk? Yes, then go off the pitch. I'm not at all biased in this whether it's one of ours or the opposition sitting down and especially like Lamptey the first time only 2 yards from the touchline is wrong.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
var checked the penalty and all 4 goals 🤷🏻‍♂️

VAR checks EVERY goal to try and find a way to rule it out, but it only goes up on the big screens if they're in the refs ear going "hang on a minute".

All the goals today were pretty clear-cut so the extended VAR review wasn't needed (for once).

Because that's what they do.

It isn't always a drama. It will be even less so going forward.

Because VAR checks every goal and every potential penalty. It would have also checked the West Ham dive and the Buonanotte dive as a potential penalties. It would have also checked Soucek(?)'s lunge on Caicedo.

VAR is constantly reviewing the game. Most checks occur while the game is ongoing, and/or are completed so quickly they don't need to put a sign up to explain a delay. It only goes up if the game is stopped and there's a notable delay.

None of the incidents were that contentious so checks were all completed quickly.

All Goals are checked by VAR please wake up.
:ROFLMAO: Thanks everyone for putting me in my place! Shows how closely I read the VAR rulebook.

Anyway, in this case they have CLEARLY either significantly changed the instruction to the VAR office or we got a particularly excellent VAR team (which in itself is problematic). Over the course of the season we have seen many, many VAR screen-trumpeted holdups for checking penalty calls (Mitoma, Buonanotte) and/or close offside calls (Mitoma). There were none today which is a massive win in my book.

We can only hope that "clear and obvious" becomes the focus as it always should have been!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
VAR would have checked each goal, The only reason it was different because there wasn't a notice on the screens telling you they were being checked..
Yes they would have checked, but it wouldn’t take long to decide as there seemed nothing questionable about any of them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only thing I still can't agree with is players sitting down and being allowed to be attended to. Lamptey sat down twice. This annoys me. Can you walk? Yes, then go off the pitch. I'm not at all biased in this whether it's one of ours or the opposition sitting down and especially like Lamptey the first time only 2 yards from the touchline is wrong.
I agree, Solly did much the same as did a WHU player late in the second half and then chose to walk across the pitch rather than around it, when he was able to walk again.

Teams should have to play on when players are injured (other than ones from a bookable foul) imo.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I kept waiting for the penalty to be checked going by the reaction from the West Ham players (was sat at the other end so didn’t see the incident clearly) but from seeing it on TV no idea what they were whinging about.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Whoever was VARing must have left their French curves and spirograph at home, watching a replay I seriously expected Mitomas goal to be ruled out for offside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here