Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Current World XI Draft

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
His last log in was the 20th so there's hope

I doubt it - he's logged in, and indeed posted, multiple times since he started missing picks.

Should there be another draft of some kind, I'm of the opinion that he shouldn't be allowed to enter.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I doubt it - he's logged in, and indeed posted, multiple times since he started missing picks.

Should there be another draft of some kind, I'm of the opinion that he shouldn't be allowed to enter.

I think that's a reasonable suggestion, though I've probably benefited from several of the breaks in play his non-participation caused (more player pondering time!)

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Oh, well that's upsetting, was going to be my bank holiday time killer :(

As for the reserve squad, my idea was to limit every team to a £0 transfer budget but allow transfers. We've all picked a manager to be in charge and the game will recognise the need to get some backup in...let nature take its course.

Sorry!! I can leave it to you if you want, it just seemed like a nice project...

With the transfer budget, I was more worried that other teams would buy our players than the other way around, hence the full transfer embargo... I think making the reserves Championship players is fair as [MENTION=15934]Rohana[/MENTION] states, the more prone to injury or suspension the player is should be taken into account - the only thing is the element of luck there, but that would be the case in reality anyway.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Sorry!! I can leave it to you if you want, it just seemed like a nice project...

With the transfer budget, I was more worried that other teams would buy our players than the other way around, hence the full transfer embargo... I think making the reserves Championship players is fair as [MENTION=15934]Rohana[/MENTION] states, the more prone to injury or suspension the player is should be taken into account - the only thing is the element of luck there, but that would be the case in reality anyway.

Nah it's fine, realistically I'll end up building it myself as well anyway!

My issue with using Championship players as the reserves is that you're then stuck with trying to ensure that each team has a relatively equal strength back up squad.

How about, the transfer embargo goes ahead and each team is provided with a reserve team of players that we create, all with stats set at 12 (or similar)?

We can then adjust the players that've been drafted to ensure that they're not even slightly injury prone (a reasonable modification to make).

That way we'll all have the exact same chance of an injury occurring and the back up options available to our managers will also be duplicated...plan?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
[MENTION=15934]Rohana[/MENTION]

Trying to upload that image again...

HAMILTON & HIDDINK'S VENCEDORS.jpg

If not, there is a boring one here... http://this11.com/play/abGXALaaoa.png

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea

[/QUOTE]

Manager: Louis Van Gaal -
Category 1 - Has played/managed at least 200 times for one club - Ajax

The new Manchester United manager. With a win ratio of over 60% throughout his career, Van Gaal has won the Champions League with Ajax and has led Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and AZ Alkmaar to league titles. Arguably built the foundations of the Barcelona and Bayern Munich teams that have dominated Europe for the last 5 years.

Goalkeeper: Mark Schwarzer -
Category 7 – Has been relegated during his career Kaiserslautern 95/96 & Middlesbrough 96/97

Chelsea and Australia 'keeper. Been part of Middlesbrough and Fulham teams who have reached UEFA Cup finals. Has the 3rd most clean sheets in Premier League history (160) and has made more appearances than any other non-British player during the timespan.

Left-Back: Ricardo Rodriquez -
Category 9 – Is under 24 years of age. (21 years old)

Young Switzerland full-back currently playing at Wolfsburg. One of the more unknown players in my squad so I've grabbed some stats from WhoScored. 5 goals and 9 assists this season, with an average rating of 8.1. Over 2.3 key passes per game and nearly 2 interceptions per game. Will be one of the stars of the world cup.

Right-Back: Lukasz Piszczek
Category 8 – Has played in a Champions League Semi-Final/Final (12/13 with Dortmund)

Swashbuckling full-back for Dortmund and Poland. Had a slightly injury struck season, but still managed 3 goals in a defence that doesn't concede too many. 11 clean sheets in the 25 games he has taken part in this season.

Centre-Back: Carles Puyol
Category 2 – Has made over 70 International appearances. (100 caps for Spain)

Spain and Barcelona captain who has won everything he can. 22 titles won, including a World Cup, a EURO's, Champions League (x3) and La Liga (x6). Retiring when his contract runs out at the end of the season, but one of the best players of his generation. A true great and captain of Athletico Rohana

Centre-Back: Tiago Silva
Category 6 – Played football in at least 4 different countries (RS Futebol, Porto, AC Milan, PSG)

Brazil and PSG captain. One of the most physically complete defenders in the world, combining blistering pace with impressive strength. Also a sublime reader of the game. Been part of the UEFA team of the year for the past 3 years, and has also been voted the best Brazilian in Europe in those 3 years. Any defender who costs over 40 million Euro's obviously has something special.

Defensive Midfielder: Michael Essien
Category 11 – Is over 30 years old. (31 years old)

Tough tackling Ghanian midfielder. 4 league titles, spread evenly between Lyon and Chelsea. Jose Mouriniho discovered him, and valued him so highly that he took him to Real Madrid with him whilst he was there. Had trouble with injuries lately, but still playing for AC Milan. An engine in the middle of the field who won't stop running, and pops up with the odd wonder goal in critical moments.

Defensive Midfielder: Marco Veratti
Category 10 - Has won a league title with 2 different clubs. (Pescara 11/12 & PSG 12/13)

The next Pirlo. At the age of 21 he is already averaging 80+ passes a game for PSG with a 90% success rate. Tough tackling (although a little rash at times), he's often used as the lynchpin in an extremely attacking PSG team. He'll be playing a similar role in my team. Breaking up attacks and just passing the ball around and creating chances. Expect to see him start v England at the World Cup.

Right Midfield: Henrikh Mkhitaryan
Category 5 – Has been the top goal scorer in a top-flight season (25 goals for Shakhtar Donetsk in 2012/2013)

7 league titles in 8 years. 25 goals in 29 games would be an amazing return for a striker, but for a midfielder?! Remarkable. He's taken to a bigger league like a duck to water, making the Bundesliga Team of the Season last year in his first season at Dortmund. Comfortable on either wing or cutting inside and playing just behind the striker. Will interchange with my other two attacking midfielders.

Left Midfielder: Eden Hazard
Category 12 - Has faced Brighton at some point in his career (August 2012)

An utter wing wizard who has torn full-backs apart for the last two seasons, 23 goals in 63 games. He's reached a new level this season, with 14 goals (more than Gerrard, Van Persie and Lambert) and 7 assists (more than Lallana, Mata, Nasri and Augero). Set to dazzle the world cup.

Attacking Midfielder: Ivan Rakitic
Category 3 - Has never played at a World Cup

The most underrated player in the world IMO. Sevillia will struggle to hold on to him. You won't find many players who got 12 goals and 10 assists in any league last season. To put that in perspective last season he got more assists than Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar, Isco, Gabi, Modric etc. Its only one less than Messi! A complete midfielder who will be at a bigger club sooner rather than later.

Striker: Didier Drogba
Category 4 - Plays/Manages outside the “top 5” leagues. (Galatasaray S.K - Turkey)

Champions League Winner, 3 Premier Leagues, 4 F.A Cups, 157 goals in 341 games for Chelsea, 241 goals in 510 games across 4 countries since 2001. Ivory Coast all time top goalscorer with 63 goals in 99 games. Always turns up at big games.

What more needs to be said?

Ladies and Gentlemen -Athletico Rohana CF are here.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Hmmm, I'm in a bit of trouble in this new FM development, what with having drafted a player who was injured for the majority of the season... Ah, well, FC GNLF will have to win it the hard way...

On a side note, I would love to see the games between [MENTION=278]MattBackHome[/MENTION], [MENTION=1349]turienzo's lovechild[/MENTION] and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION]. Those teams are ridiculously attacking!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Hmmm, I'm in a bit of trouble in this new FM development, what with having drafted a player who was injured for the majority of the season... Ah, well, FC GNLF will have to win it the hard way...

On a side note, I would love to see the games between [MENTION=278]MattBackHome[/MENTION], [MENTION=1349]turienzo's lovechild[/MENTION] and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION]. Those teams are ridiculously attacking!

Why would you be in trouble?

Players can be uninjured in the FM Editor, so you'd start with a fit squad...

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Oh, I didn't know that, I've not played it in about 7 or 8 years.

No worries, they've really made an effort with the FM Editor in recent years, many things can now be adjusted/created within the database if people are so inclined.

Even better, it's simple enough for anyone to make sense of it (if I can then anyone can...).

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Here's my Stripeyshark XI in glorious formation. Managed by Luiz Phillipe Scolari.
[MENTION=15934]Rohana[/MENTION] please IGNORE my previous team, i had the wrong left back. This is all correct now. :)

1000565_Dream_Team.jpg

1- Joe Hart 256 games for Manchester City
Two Premier League titles and three consecutive Golden Gloves (most clean sheets)

2- Luiz Phillipe Scolari Managed Portugal 74 times
World Cup winner with Brazil and has won 17 different competitions

3- Seamus Coleman Never played at a World Cup
In this year's PFA Team of the Year and Everton Player of the Season

4- Asamoah Gyan Plays in the UAE Professional League
39 goals in 77 games for Ghana and 100 goals in 89 games for Al-Ain

5- Antonio Di Natale Serie A Top Scorer in 2010 and 2011
175 goals in 329 games for Udinese and in the last 3 Serie A Teams of the Year

6- Wesley Sneijder Played in Holland, Spain, Italy and Turkey
Won the league title in 4 countries and 4 MotM awards at the last World Cup

7- Aleksander Kolarov Relegated in 2005 with Čukarički
Two Premier League titles and Serbian Player of the Year 2011

8- Mesut Özil Played in the Champions League semi-final for Real Madrid
148 assists in the last 6 seasons and UEFA Team of the Year (2012 and 2013)

9- James Rodriguez Born 12 July 1991, making him 22
Signed for AS Monaco for €45 million, won 5 league titles and a Europa League

10- Pepe Won two league titles each with Porto and Real Madrid
Team of the tournament at the last 2 European Championships and 12 winner's medals

11- Thiago Motta Born 28 August 1982, making him 31
2 Champions Leagues, 5 League titles and caps for Brazil and Italy

12- Laurent Koscielny Played against Brighton in the 2012-13 FA Cup 4th Round
Part of Arsenal's most successful team in 9 years and a superb defender

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Soooo....how do we solve a problem like [MENTION=25389]Jay Cartwright[/MENTION]?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Nah it's fine, realistically I'll end up building it myself as well anyway!

My issue with using Championship players as the reserves is that you're then stuck with trying to ensure that each team has a relatively equal strength back up squad.

How about, the transfer embargo goes ahead and each team is provided with a reserve team of players that we create, all with stats set at 12 (or similar)?

We can then adjust the players that've been drafted to ensure that they're not even slightly injury prone (a reasonable modification to make).

That way we'll all have the exact same chance of an injury occurring and the back up options available to our managers will also be duplicated...plan?

Yeah that sounds reasonable - I'll try to get it sorted at the weekend, silly things like work been getting in the way...

I still think maybe keeping the injury proneness in would make it more realistic, as surely they should be judged on that also? (Think Vicente - if he wasn't injured in his 1st season with us he would have been the best player in the Championship)

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
On the Football Manager debate:
Personally I'd give everyone a clean bill of health at the start of the FM season but keep injuries part of it.

I've got Essien who picks up the odd knock in real life, and I'd be interested to see how Van Gaal would deal with it, as with the players I have, a formation change to 4-4-2 might work out for the better etc etc

Just my opinion though. Final say, as always comes down to what you lot think too.

Soooo....how do we solve a problem like [MENTION=25389]Jay Cartwright[/MENTION]?

Thinking about this earlier. Whilst I think it's now the point where we should fill his gaps for him, I also think he needs to be given some kind of penalty.

Either a point deduction, both on the voting and maybe in the FM league. -3, one for each missing pick? OR we fill the gaps with average players. By no means terrible players, but run of the mill Premiership players. The Catermole's and Ba's of the world.

Either way, if somebody wants to go through his picks, figure out the categories/formation and then post a finished team for him that would be brilliant. I can't think of a democratic way for 19 people to pick 3 players so first come, first serve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here