[Football] Current World XI Draft

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
My next pick is a slight tactical one. My team is shaping up nicely with some world class picks I feel, it's time to turn my head to a keeper. Yes, I would have loved one of the world class behemoths such as Buffon or Neuer, but have settled on a one of the most decorated keepers still playing today, but also outside of the big leagues, but could still possibly be lifting the World Cup come the summer. My next pick is

Julio Cesar
[MENTION=17456]The_Viper[/MENTION] over to you now!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Getting tense now - really hoping that neither [MENTION=23421]JOLovegrove[/MENTION] or [MENTION=17456]The_Viper[/MENTION] picks the next superstar that I have a Team Frutos jersey waiting for.

Honestly, at this point, I don't think I have any superstars left on my shortlist. Many good to very good players but no-one with the wow factor...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Honestly, at this point, I don't think I have any superstars left on my shortlist. Many good to very good players but no-one with the wow factor...

We shall see. :wink:

To be fair, it's more an "I can't believe they haven't gone" factor.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
These next two picks in quick succession are leaving me unbelievably worried. I have three names I DESPERATELY want but only 2 picks and I am TERRIFIED they will all be gone.

This man fills a void in the center of defence with experience as part of the Juventus centre-back trio that have been so successful over the past two seasons, the man has seen his own personal reputation increase dramatically over that period. I expect to see him line up in Brazil in 2014 and go about his business in a manner he is known for now.

Andrea Barzagli

barzagli.jpg

Category 1 - Has played at least 200 times for one club
Category 2 – Has made over 70 International appearances
Category 3 - Has never played at a World Cup - Jordi Alba
Category 4 - Plays/Manages outside the “top 5” leagues
Category 5 – Has been the top goal scorer in a top-flight season - Edin Dzeko
Category 6 – Played football in at least 4 different countries
Category 7 – Has been relegated during his career - Isco
Category 8 – Has played in a Champions League Semi-Final/Final. - Manuel Neuer
Category 9 – Is under 24 years of age
Category 10 - Has won a league title with 2 different clubs
Category 11 – Is over 30 years old - Andrea Barzagli
Category 12 - Has faced Brighton at some point in his career - Pablo Zabaleta
[MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] you're up!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
OK, let's get the midfield sorted out.

For a team managed by Pep Guardiola, and looking at the remaining available options, there's really only one choice who has the class and talent to fill the role. His resume reads:

- La Liga: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013
- Copa del Rey: 2012
- Supercopa de España: 2010, 2011
- UEFA Champions League: 2011
- UEFA Super Cup: 2011
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2011
- Bundesliga: 2014
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2013
- Under-17 European Championship: 2008
- Under-21 European Championship: 2011, 2013
- UEFA U-21 Championship Golden Player: 2013
- UEFA U-21 Championship Silver Boot: 2013
- UEFA U-21 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2013

All that, and he's only 23. It is, of course, THIAGO ALCANTARA

Now for two picks from [MENTION=13376]albionalex[/MENTION]

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm going to continue the Spanish theme of my last pick and use it to select my goalkeeper.

23 years old and already a Premier League, Europa League, European Super Cup and 2-Time Community Shield winner, as well as having picked up the European Under-17 Championship and 2 European Under-21 Championships at International level. He is the heir to Sant Iker's throne, it's DAVID DE GEA.

89b4205653a7b6b8a7073020a4df3d0c.jpeg

[MENTION=17456]The_Viper[/MENTION], we're back to you.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I have had a real hard time picking between two when I know of the huge gap between now and my next two. I have chosen though and I have gone for the player who is much more mainstream and one I am certain would not be here when pick 8 comes around. This fills my back 5 and is arguably the meanest looking defence on here :wink:

The man in question is a young Argentinian international who was the source of a huge bid from Manchester United last summer, and will most certainly not be a player outside the top 5 leagues come August. He was snapped up by Real Madrid at just 19 and after a slow start to his life in Europe he was signed by Benfica, where he has became one of the most dominant and FLAIR central defenders in the league. Having scored 12 goals in 123 appearances the chap has a bigger goal to game ratio than other set piece dangers like Skrtel and Gary Cahill. The perfect foil to play next to Barzagli, the no nonsense experienced defender will have a touch of south american finesse next to him. I present to you...

Ezequiel Garay

Category 1 - Has played at least 200 times for one club
Category 2 – Has made over 70 International appearances
Category 3 - Has never played at a World Cup - Jordi Alba
Category 4 - Plays/Manages outside the “top 5” leagues - Ezequiel Garay
Category 5 – Has been the top goal scorer in a top-flight season - Edin Dzeko
Category 6 – Played football in at least 4 different countries
Category 7 – Has been relegated during his career - Isco
Category 8 – Has played in a Champions League Semi-Final/Final. - Manuel Neuer
Category 9 – Is under 24 years of age
Category 10 - Has won a league title with 2 different clubs
Category 11 – Is over 30 years old - Andrea Barzagli
Category 12 - Has faced Brighton at some point in his career - Pablo Zabaleta

[MENTION=23421]JOLovegrove[/MENTION] over to you, and another few days of agony before my next pick :eek:

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Got two solid picks in mind, hoping they will last through until my next go. Doubt it though :(

Oct 25, 2003
For the next draft game I do think the time limit should be less than 10 hours (perhaps unless its overnight or during a brighton/england world cup game)...10 hours is SO long and sometimes its obvious someone isn't around and loads of others are online and waiting. I know it hasnt happened but if everyone took their 10 hours then 1 round would take 200 hours!

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Sorry for taking an age, Uni is kicking in now so can't check this as much. Only got home from campus about an hour ago, and this isn't my first priority. Give me a second to gather my thoughts.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
For the next draft game I do think the time limit should be less than 10 hours (perhaps unless its overnight or during a brighton/england world cup game)...10 hours is SO long and sometimes its obvious someone isn't around and loads of others are online and waiting. I know it hasnt happened but if everyone took their 10 hours then 1 round would take 200 hours!

I'm looking in to a few changes if we do another game. One of the changes I'm looking at is a shorter time limit. Maybe 6 hours, but with the time stopping during night time and matches of interest.

I'm looking at replacing the categories with a slightly different way of limiting who people can pick too. Leaning towards sort of a chain link, so for example:

Player A was in the same team as Player B between 2000-2003

Player B was in the same team as Player C between 1998-2000

Player C was part of the International squad as Player D for the 94 World Cup.

Will drop a few players a message nearer the time and see what they think of a few of the ideas I've got. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports