Current world class English players.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'd say in 1990 Shilton was truly world-class, but Des Walker was close. Anyway it doesn't matter how many individual world-class players we have - what matters is the overall strength of the team. In other words its pointless having four or five world-class forwards and midfielders if the defence and goalkeeper are third-rate.

Really?

How about the semi-final when he couldn't get his frame off the ground to save a looping deflected free-kick? Or get anywhere near the penalties? Or the 3rd place play-off - what a f***-up.

For all the fact we got to the semi-final, for me there is a rose-tinted perspective on that tournament. Yes, it was exciting that we got to the semis, and yes we did have one or two decent players - but overall, we were not particularly exciting to watch, nor were we that good - with the exception of a fantastic semi-final performance.

We could easily have gone out against Belgium and Cameroon, and in the whole tournament we won one match in 90 minutes.

But then again, the 1990 World Cup was - the further it went on - not a particularly memorable tournament.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd say in 1990 Shilton was truly world-class, but Des Walker was close. Anyway it doesn't matter how many individual world-class players we have - what matters is the overall strength of the team. In other words its pointless having four or five world-class forwards and midfielders if the defence and goalkeeper are third-rate.

It didn't seem to hurt Brazil in 1970.

( I agree about Des Walker BTW, he was a bloody good player - genuine world class player).

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Only one England player (possibly) would get in a world XI. No not Rooney as he would be competing with Torres, Messi, Villa, Kaka, Drogba for a place up front...Ashley Cole, maybe! I think we can get to semis at best, anyone who thinks we WILL win it is deluded. Although we do have an outside chance, should be 16/1 not 6/1.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Who was world class in 1990 ?
Who was world class in Denmarks Euro winning side ?
Who was world class in Greece's Euro winning side ?
Who was world class when Sout Korea got the semi's in 2002 ?

The list could go on, it's irrelevant to a point , its about so much more

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It didn't seem to hurt Brazil in 1970.

( I agree about Des Walker BTW, he was a bloody good player - genuine world class player).
I'd hardly call Carlos Alberto and Everaldo 'third rate'.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
kevtherev,

Count me in as deluded then.

And what about the midfield world XI: Lampard, Gerrard
etc.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
To expand a bit

If you have the time go through the world cups since 1966 and list in your opinion the world class English players

66. Banks, Moore, R Charlton and Greaves
70 Banks and Moore (Charlton passed his best?)
82 Shilton and Robson
86 Ditto and possibly Lineker

Sorry go to go on a funeral, feel free to carry on........

Greaves did not really contribute in 1966 and failed in Italy but was fantastic in Div 1. Don't forget Wilson in 1966 , a really top class Left Back.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex

But Dougal that's the beauty of NSC, a wide spectrum of opinions.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

Indeed. I'd love to ask the "England don't have a bloody chance" Brigade what they would have thought of Greece's Euro 2004 prospects prior to that tournament starting.

Jimmy Grimble

Cole and Rooney would be the only players who would get into a world XI. In fact, I'm not sure Rooney would, but I'd still say he's world class.

For me world class is a small bracket of players, and I think Gerrard and Lampard are on the brink of it.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Greaves did not really contribute in 1966 and failed in Italy but was fantastic in Div 1. Don't forget Wilson in 1966 , a really top class Left Back.

Sir Geoff Hurst, no less, said at a charity lunch in Brighton last Friday that in HHO Greaves was world class in 1966, and that Sir Alf was toying with the idea of bringing him back for the final in place of either Hurst or Hunt but didn't.
He said England back then played without a fit player of apparent world class, would they even contemplate playing without a fit Wayne Rooney in the next month?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd hardly call Carlos Alberto and Everaldo 'third rate'.

Carlos Alberto was a great, great player but was he really a great defender? He just happened to play there.

Cafu was another great player who happened to play in defence, not sure that he's a great defender either.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Rooney's world class but isn't going to get a lookin starting if an Earth FC XI were playing. Why? Going on a flat 4-4-2, Kaka and Messi.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Carlos Alberto was a great, great player but was he really a great defender? He just happened to play there.

Cafu was another great player who happened to play in defence, not sure that he's a great defender either.
I think you miss the point I was trying to make which was that it's no good haivng a few world class forwards/midfielders if your defence is crap. In 1970 Brazil's defence was NOT crap - although I grant you Felix the keeper was a bit dodgy. The other great unsung hero of that Brazilian side was the centre back Brito - made Jackie Charlton look like Jackie Collins.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Harty is missing the phone in!! Put out a controversial comment and watch us all lump in with our opinions. The perfect phone in host.

Frankly no one is world class until they have done it on the greatest stage at the world cup. Therefore very few international teams have world class players.

We however have the POTENTIAL to have many, Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, and wild card Joe Cole. And that ignores one of the goalies that I think will come good and Gareth Barry.

If they do it on the world stage they will be world class, if not they will just be good international players.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
For me world class is a small bracket of players, and I think Gerrard and Lampard are on the brink of it.

Whilst both are good at scoring from midfield, when was the last time they played a killer ball against top flight opposition to break open a defence?

Do you think either of them is as good as Fabregas for example, and he is not a cert to start for Spain.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
To expand a bit

If you have the time go through the world cups since 1966 and list in your opinion the world class English players

66. Banks, Moore, R Charlton and Greaves
70 Banks and Moore (Charlton passed his best?)
82 Shilton and Robson
86 Ditto and possibly Lineker

Would suggest Keegan & Brooking were the only 2 world class players in 1982. Unfortunately they only played 20 minutes of the last game.

Zoff was better than Shilton & Robson was a few years away from being world class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports