Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crunch time after Wolves

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A big figure is meaningless without context though. It's £205m for a club bringing in more than £100m a year in TV money. Our spending stands comparison with most of the clubs down around us with just as many hits and misses. Established clubs can naturally spend less because they've already been upgrading the standard of their squad in previous campaigns. We were playing catch-up, big time. So, in the spell we've been in the Premier League, compared to our £205m, the spending is:

Aston Villa £140m - this season alone.
Bournemouth £140m (but already had 2 years of spending TV money under their belt).
Watford £134m (but artificially reduced by transfers in from Udinese).
West Ham £234m
Newcastle £160m (but after spending £50m the season before upgrading the remnants of a Premier League squad to get out of the Championship).
Southampton £158m (with a 5 year start on us).

I get your point and actually agree with you. Palace fans for example rattle on about we’ve had a net spend greater than Liverpool’s in the last 6 windows. Which is a spurious fact, because we had to start from scratch in summer 2017 in building PL quality.

My point is actually different. Within the £205m spend, we haven’t yet got a quality RB who can defend (if you don’t believe me, CH dropped MM, GP keeps dropping all his RB options), no CF to replace Muzza and a lack of goals from midfield.

The money’s been spent in a haphazard way. Winstanley imho did a brilliant job in the Championship years. The jury’s out now, three years on we’re in danger of dropping yet again.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The money’s been spent in a haphazard way.

I certainly wouldn't disagree with that. We seem to have a particular liking for left sided forwards, rather than a mobile, physical centre-forward who can disrupt defences and help out the promising but still young Maupay. Trouble is, they seem to start at about £40m with wages to match and no guarantee of success.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just watched the MOTD highlights of the Spurs v. Wolves game. Bloody hell Wolves look good in attack, with pace to burn. The contrast with our own team (no pace at all) is extreme.

Jota and Traore are at a level we can only dream of. Incredible pace and guile, delivered in virtually every performance. Their goal and assist stats this season must be on another level to our creators (Gross, Propper, March, Mooy, Trossard, Jahanbakhsh). Not picking on any of them, it’s hard to gauge when they play various positions and some are in and out of the team).

If we stay up, TB’s next big decision must shirley be about recruitment and pay structure.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Why would you not want to support the team in the Championship? Or any other league? We have had worst days than this..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with you. But during our worse times we were not getting 30000 crowds, so unfortunately to some the league we’re in is relevant.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"If you are renewing your season ticket, then you need do nothing". I've always really liked doing nothing.

Plus no VAR next season - whats not to like ?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Can't be arsed to check but I would be surprised if we've had many more home Saturday 3 o clocks in the PL than the Championship. Certainly doesn't feel like it the last few months anyway

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I have already renewed and while I can still afford it I will continue to do so no matter what division we are playing in.
However, I must admit that if we are relegated, the exodus of our best players to rival clubs will be a bit difficult to take......

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I've already renewed. Been paying by monthly Direct Debit this season - so could have just let that carry on ... but decided to bite the bullet and commit by paying up front. :thumbsup:

My current dilemma is that I'm looking at getting a ticket for The Stranglers on a Tuesday night in October. Could end up clashing with a Championship game!!! :facepalm:

It’s getting close , Deadline day March 11th 17:00 . Renew or not renew that is the question . Said last year under Chris that I was wavering but did mine and juniors again and glad I did as thinking a bright new change would happen , it’s more exciting football now as previously Chris was making it so so boring but as we progress I feel as if potter is turning into Hypia a bit and doesn’t have a clue unless it’s that Ashworth pulling the strings ??? I will give it another year though as tbh the championship was better anyway . Heard the bloke behind saying he wasn’t going to renew

Why would you not renew anyway, unless financially it wasn't viable?? It's called being a supporter. You support BHA through the shite times and the good times.

Currently they are good, in terms of the league (not recently of course) I'm genuinely in the thinking we are fooked and will go down currently. What a weird thing to post.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have already renewed and while I can still afford it I will continue to do so no matter what division we are playing in.
However, I must admit that if we are relegated, the exodus of our best players to rival clubs will be a bit difficult to take......

That wouldn’t be the end of the world for me. Other than the remaining promotion players, who do we have a special bond with, who’s been an incredible acquisition?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here