Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crunch time after Wolves

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The only negative about renewing and getting relegated is the fact that Saturday games at 3.00pm will be a distant memory as Sky TV will be all over us again.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Renewing whatever. Highs and lows are what support is all about, so those that don’t renew because relegation is looking a real possibility can do one. It amused me that those that didn’t renew after season 14/15 and then bought a season ticket again a year later were the ones moaning the loudest when Tony Bloom implemented the loyalty scheme that rewarded consecutive season ticket purchases.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes of course we have. We are in the Premier League now, and competing against the big boys in probably the best league in the world. Yesterday was always going to happen sooner or later, as will relegation to the Championship. We simply don't have the nous, money, or players to compete at this level for very long

But to answer the OP's question, yes of course l'm going to renew. I look upon our stay in the Premier League as a privilege, not a right. Enjoy it whilst you can.

Exactly, I always expected us to be visitors rather than a fixture improving year on year. There are much bigger clubs than us who didn’t have enough to stay in or get back to the Premier League easily. If we do go down, it is nowhere near a given that we’ll be back anytime soon.

TB has done brilliantly for this club and we should be grateful for the experience not moaning, so much entitlement from our fans these days.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
The bloke behind me today, who to be fair is normally the other persons young son, virtually exploded like a Roman Candle when Mooy was announced Man of the Match

Not quite Roman candles in My area of the lower west but a few raised eyebrows.... and one real blast from the past from a usually emotionless fellow “ what the Dickens ?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Will I renew my ticket to continue to watch the best Albion team I have seen in my 50 odd years of supporting ? I really need to think about that :facepalm:

If we go down, the people who will really suffer with be TB and GP. I can't imagine that many supporters from the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean would turn down a season of championship football, watching our current squad (or the vast majority of it), at the Amex.

In fact, apart from the temporary disappointment of relegation, this would be the biggest downer I can see for supporters.

The only negative about renewing and getting relegated is the fact that Saturday games at 3.00pm will be a distant memory as Sky TV will be all over us again.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It’s getting close , Deadline day March 11th 17:00 . Renew or not renew that is the question . Said last year under Chris that I was wavering but did mine and juniors again and glad I did as thinking a bright new change would happen , it’s more exciting football now as previously Chris was making it so so boring but as we progress I feel as if potter is turning into Hypia a bit and doesn’t have a clue unless it’s that Ashworth pulling the strings ??? I will give it another year though as tbh the championship was better anyway . Heard the bloke behind saying he wasn’t going to renew

A question for some 'supporters' maybe. Not even a consideration for me unless I was in dire financial straits or would be able to get to next to no matches. Each to their own, but if your decision comes down to what division we're in then, frankly, good riddance.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I will definitely renew but it does annoy me slightly that the club were happy to insert clauses that season ticket prices would go up if we got promoted when we were in the Championship yet don’t freeze or reduce prices if we go down.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I always did wonder how many seasons it would take of just hoping there were three shittier teams would sink in.

We have spent a lot of money achieving nothing yet in the Premier League.

The achievement is staying up for 2 seasons (so far). If we hadn't spent that money, we'd have been down straight away. Every club in the Premier League at our level has a string of signings that didn't make the grade. Goes with the territory.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The club has made so many right moves in the last 23 years.

But player recruitment from Easter 2017 to January 2020 stands out as in the main woeful, so many blunders, huge sums blown.

The fact that TB doesn’t fire anyone, makes me think that Winstanley was under strict orders for ‘value’, no potentially onerous contracts, to search world football for hidden gems. It failed.

What's the alternative to scouring the world for hidden gems if you're on a sensible budget? The obvious targets cost far too much for Albion. The vast majority of Premier League clubs have been burnt just as badly in the transfer market. You can easily spend £45m on a load of crap - or hope that one of your three £15m signings comes good. The odds of success are probably not much different.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
According to Co House:
2017/18 fees spent £57.5m
2018/19 £77.9m

Then add:
Clarke £4m
Webster £22m
Trossard £18m
Maupay £16m
Lamptey £4m
McAllister fee £0.8m
Mooy £5m

= £205m

Have I missed anyone signed since 1 July 2019?

Bar Webster, in that group, all those fees look very reasonable or a steal. Trossard and Maupay would tear up the Championship... and the going rate for a top Championship player is what we paid.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What's the alternative to scouring the world for hidden gems if you're on a sensible budget? The obvious targets cost far too much for Albion. The vast majority of Premier League clubs have been burnt just as badly in the transfer market. You can easily spend £45m on a load of crap - or hope that one of your three £15m signings comes good. The odds of success are probably not much different.

£205m spent, and no RB who can defend for 90 minutes every week (hopefully Lamptey’s that player), no CF, and a lack of goals from midfield (whoever the coach is).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I suppose people are free to do as they wish. I don’t really understand people debating whether to renew or not! If you have a problem with supporting the team whether that be in the championship or premier, then maybe pass it to someone who will.
I just finding it all a little fickle - as a supporter surely people support a team through good or bad!

Many many of our ‘fans’ currently fit into that category like it or not. In fact I’d argue almost all of us do to some extent - there were only 1049 of us for the lowest home gate ever back in ‘97 after all! (me included though! :D)

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I will add to my further post about Sky being all over us with another valid reason will be us fans who travel stupid miles for a home game on a Saturday will have good reason not to renew if we start playing on Fridays etc.

On a plus note for me Swansea, Cardiff and Bristol city and any team in the Birmingham area are no more than a two hour train journey away instead of a 3 .5 hour drive down every Saturday for a home game

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I will add to my further post about Sky being all over us with another valid reason will be us fans who travel stupid miles for a home game on a Saturday will have good reason not to renew if we start playing on Fridays etc.

On a plus note for me Swansea, Cardiff and Bristol city and any team in the Birmingham area are no more than a two hour train journey away instead of a 3 .5 hour drive down every Saturday for a home game

Another valid point. I can only say yesterday 6.30am start was a utter battle through the elements to get to yesterday’s game. Motorways closed, floodwater, collapsed road surfaces, phenomenal wind and rain...Fortunately ‘only’ the m23 closed for the journey home. Still it was so worth it :D

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I did not even question whether to renew. I will renew all the while I am fit and able, and also while I can afford it. What division we are in is irrelevant.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

They’ll only be all over us if we’re in the top 3. Leeds, Fulham & WBA dominate live TV games this year, every time I glance at Sky Sports.

If we’re in the other 21 places, we do not have a special allure for football fans in general.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
They’ll only be all over us if we’re in the top 3. Leeds, Fulham & WBA dominate live TV games this year, every time I glance at Sky Sports.

If we’re in the other 21 places, we do not have a special allure for football fans in general.

its very hard to find streams in the championship.

although it will be easier to get tickets, and hopefully not as expensive.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
£205m spent, and no RB who can defend for 90 minutes every week (hopefully Lamptey’s that player), no CF, and a lack of goals from midfield (whoever the coach is).

A big figure is meaningless without context though. It's £205m for a club bringing in more than £100m a year in TV money. Our spending stands comparison with most of the clubs down around us with just as many hits and misses. Established clubs can naturally spend less because they've already been upgrading the standard of their squad in previous campaigns. We were playing catch-up, big time. So, in the spell we've been in the Premier League, compared to our £205m, the spending is:

Aston Villa £140m - this season alone.
Bournemouth £140m (but already had 2 years of spending TV money under their belt).
Watford £134m (but artificially reduced by transfers in from Udinese).
West Ham £234m
Newcastle £160m (but after spending £50m the season before upgrading the remnants of a Premier League squad to get out of the Championship).
Southampton £158m (with a 5 year start on us).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here