Poor Cristiano?

• Yes

• No

• Monorail

Results are only viewable after voting.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
If it’s surprising that Ronaldo himself thought this interview was a good idea, it’s even more baffling that the no doubt countless PR people in his entourage agreed with him.

I think I sort of understand (though I don’t mean that to read as “empathise with”) his perspective. He has, without doubt, been one of if not the greatest players of the 30+ years I have been watching football, and possibly of all time. And he’s made personal sacrifices to achieve that too, in terms of the way he’s lived his life and looked after his body. As such, he seems to think that his status in world football history gives him some devine right to define his own role and call the shots at Manchester United.

He’s got that bit wrong. What it’s done, is given him the ability to earn in excess of £500k per week at the age of almost 38. A time in his career when most players are either retired or at least well beyond their peak earning power.

But when someone is paying you that sort of gratuitous money, you have to accept that they basically own you. That’s the rough and the smooth. If they say “jump”, you ask “how high?”. If they ask you not to jump at all, you do as they wish.

Playing the victim card as he has shows he has read the room spectacularly badly. When he is earning £30m+ per year, courteous of the employer he is now publicly besmirching, at a time when many millions of people in the country he is living and working are struggling to make ends meet, children going cold and hungry, he is never going to generate an ounce of sympathy. Like getting blood out of a stone.

A walking ego on ageing legs. In that one interview he has tainted his reputation with a generation of football fans around the world. He’ll now be remembered as that great footballer who was utterly detached from the reality of the common men, women and children whom ultimately funded his fortune.

Well done, you prize tit.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
One assumes he is so desperate to get out of ManUre that he has knowingly blown all bridges with them. And surely United aren't stupid enough to let him rot in the reserves on £550k a week.... Now he has left for the WC he (physically) won't return to Ye Olde Trafford. I actually hope he goes back to Portugal and plays for one of his earlier clubs a la Zamora. He was still better than Messi in my mind (although I have put a free tenner on Messi winning the Golden Boot).

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Shown himself to be a classless twat, surely never plays for the club again? And realistically, would any big European club want anything to do with him after he blasted his current employer and teammates in an interview

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
My view is that this was just a big red button move to force his way out of the club, after having exhausted all other avenues.

Off to the World Cup, get the transfer done whilst he’s away, and fly direct to his next club’s country.

Roma, a club in Portugal or less likely, MLS.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
My view is that this was just a big red button move to force his way out of the club, after having exhausted all other avenues.

Off to the World Cup, get the transfer done whilst he’s away, and fly direct to his next club’s country.

Roma, a club in Portugal or less likely, MLS.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. He has chosen the “nuclear” option to put himself at the front of the shop window . Can only see him going to the US or Middle East now where a club may potentially get some money back on their investment by shirt sales and increased advertising revenue that his signing may bring. He could still cut it at the highest level in the PL if he paced himself but not sure any top club would want the baggage that comes with him now.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Shown himself to be a classless twat, surely never plays for the club again? And realistically, would any big European club want anything to do with him after he blasted his current employer and teammates in an interview
Sad really, his first term at Man U was highly memorable, his second he made a decent contribution. But his career is in decline and whilst at 37 he is in great shape he is in total denial.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One assumes he is so desperate to get out of ManUre that he has knowingly blown all bridges with them. And surely United aren't stupid enough to let him rot in the reserves on £550k a week.... Now he has left for the WC he (physically) won't return to Ye Olde Trafford. I actually hope he goes back to Portugal and plays for one of his earlier clubs a la Zamora. He was still better than Messi in my mind (although I have put a free tenner on Messi winning the Golden Boot).
If he is so desperate to leave ManU he could leave it now. Just agree to tear up his £half a million a week contract and become a free agent, with no more payments to come from United.

Good luck finding someone else to pay you that much, Ronnie boy!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Who’d have thought a man who the last time he wanted out of Man Utd claimed he was being treated like a slave would be a knobhead?

I’m stunned. Stunned, I tells ya.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
GraPotty’s the only one who can fix this, plus Ronald can advise him on the best waxed black denim ankle-tapered jeans, fixing him up with several pairs of CR7 stretch trunks into the bargain. According to today’s Telegraph it’s happening, Ronald to Chelsea.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If he is so desperate to leave ManU he could leave it now. Just agree to tear up his £half a million a week contract and become a free agent, with no more payments to come from United.

Good luck finding someone else to pay you that much, Ronnie boy!
Exactly this.

The only winners I can see out of this are Morgan and Murdoch. From what I've seen and heard from the interview, Ronaldo's 'revelations' are all a bit 'so what?' and pointless. Also, he was more than happy to sign a contract in exchange for millions of pounds a year – suck it up, buttercup.

I would imagine he's probably done more harm than good to his reputation and potential earning power.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
GraPotty’s the only one who can fix this, plus Ronald can advise him on the best waxed black denim ankle-tapered jeans, fixing him up with several pairs of CR7 stretch trunks into the bargain. According to today’s Telegraph it’s happening, Ronald to Chelsea.
Wouldn't that be marvellous? Softy Potty v DoYouKnowWhoIAm? Ronaldo. It would be a great watch for the rest of the footballing world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here