Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley Game

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Possibly next Saturday with the matches vs Luton and Stevenage.

I'm thinking that's a certainty. I doubt many outfield players will be playing 90 minutes at this stage of pre-season, meaning that the club will use close to 40 players that day.

Albion also have a fixture at Enfield Town on the Friday night but I'm guessing we will field a predominantly U-18 side for that one.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That's a pretty fair report of the game, and probably 2/3rds more support than last summer, although that was a midweeker. Crawley's no.11 looked handy. I think you give too much praise to Manu, he's worse than that! Enjoyed the game if only to see Murray back in the Brighton shirt and scoring with literally his first touch. And Knocky, what can you say about that guy? Played like it was a play off final, bloke oozes sexy soccer. Him and Bruno are such a vital link up down the right. Now to decide if I go to Aldershot, decisions, decisions.

Re Aldershot, that's where I am.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure whether I am looking into something that wasnt there, as I was looking for it and wanted it, but it seemed that the the only real goal celebration was between Kayal and Stephens when BK scored. Perhaps they do have a great bond between them.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Looking at the highlights it looked like Elvis was embarrassingly bad. Not good.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Watching the livestream I though Bjordal had a decent half he seems a tricky type. Quite a poor free kick from Knockeart late on in the game. Lua Lua failed to impress. Still its early days and all round it was a decent win.

Agree Bjordal looked qiute good and I'm sure (I'd had a few too many ) he set up one of the goals

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
My ramblings after seeing the game from the seats, and I'm bored as wife is watching pretty little liars!

First half:

Maenpaa - A good solid no 2 (tee hee) - would have no problem with him stepping in for Stockers if required - had little to do but when called upon he dealt with it comfortably. Not as good as Stockers in setting up quick attacks.

Hunt (RB) - He did really well against a tricky winger - the winger tried a few times to get to the byline to get a a cross in and each time Hunt stopped him. He also played a wonderful ball into Hemed in the box which with a better first touch would have scored. I can see him being started in a couple of cup games. A really good prospect
Hall - His debut, didn't do anything wrong. Good positional sense, dealt with things calmly, looks a good player
Dunky - Captain in first half which seemed strange! Anyway he is our best CB without doubt, so calm and assured on the ball and hit a wonderful ball to Hemed for his goal. Always in control and looked after Hall. Got to keep him.
Bong - Great to see him back playing, played well against their winger, appears to be back to how we loved him at the beginning of last season.

Lua Lua - I can't put my finger on it but he really didn't do himself justice. There were times when it was just him and the right back and not once did he take him on. You'd urge him to knock the ball past and burst past him but never did. I can't recall one cross being put in, gave the ball away a few times as well. Defensively did well but he's missing his mojo at the moment - hope he finds it soon!
Stephens & Kayal - Best pairing in the Championship for me this coming season - have to keep them if we want to challenge top two places. They were like a purring Rolls going for a Sunday drive on a Summers day. Dominated midfield with ease, they didn't get out of first gear. Kayals goal was sublime, the movement to create the space to tap it into the net was class personified by Kayal.
Murphy - Disappointed in him based on this performance, hope it's a one off as I forgot he was on the pitch. Again like Lua Lua he never really tried to take his man on, always played it sideways or backwards.

Hemed - Well taken goal and made a nuisance of himself, a good workout for him.
Baldock - Needs to improve his first touch which i'm sure will get better, bounced off him a few times, never had a sniff of goal and to be honest not sure how many times he was in the box although that might be because I was in the seats!

Second half

Maenpaa/Sanchez - Sanchez didn't have much to do but he did well when called upon. I think he's taller than Maenpaa! Looks a good prospect.

Bruno - El Capitan - Even though he is 35 he still got up and down the wing with regular intent. I think he took it easy as wasn't as tight to their winger at times but hey, we were winning 3-0 at that point so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt!
White - First time seen him and was impressed. Reminded me a bit of Rea, be interesting to see how well he does in the u21 - didn't have much to do so difficult to judge.
Dallison - Reminds me of a young Dunk, so can't really pay him a higher compliment - (not because I think it was him who gave the ball away for the one on one) but because of his ability on the ball. Cup games might see him play more often.
Rosenior - Seemed off the pace a bit, as someone said appears to be suffering with a bad back, hopefully he'll recover quickly.

Knockeart - I'm not into man love but by God did he look good in the away kit! And boy can he play! Even in a friendly he was running round like a dog chasing a doggy ball, and in most cases ensuring a mistake is made by the defence. Such a difference to how Lua Lua/Murphy played - CH needs to show them the vid of Knockearts play to show what they should be doing because he was superb. I wouldn't be surprised if he scored at least 10 goals this year.
Ince - Didn't look comfortable in a midfield 2, he didn't seem confident coming forward, always tended to stay back which meant Crawley started getting more joy in the middle than the first half.
Sidwell - As he had to man the midfield by himself at times he did well, and an able understudy obviously for the main men. Can see him starting a few games at times and I would feel fine about that.
Bjordal - Heard good things about this kid and can see why. Surprisingly tall for a winger, has very good feet and managed to beat his man easily at times with his turn of pace, set up Manu who should have done better than hitting the post. Again can see Bjordal possibly coming on sub in cup games - did really well - keep an eye on him in the u21.

Murray - what can you say about him, a punt up field turned into an excellent ball and not only did he show he still has pace, he also showed how to use his strength to shrug off the defender and have the quality to find a bit of space before lashing it home with his left. Also had another goal disallowed for a questionable offside (think it was Manu). Brilliant to have him back, wouldn't be surprised to see him start alot of games this year.

Manu - wow - it's the first time I've seen him and he just did not look interested. He is waiting and wanting to leave, it's patently obvious. He should have at least 4 goals, not because he created the goal opportunities himself but poor finishing really cost him. How he missed the sitter from 2 yards I will never know! People will say well he had more shots than Baldock but you have to remember who they were playing with at the time. Baldock had Lua Lua and Murphy who didn't create anything between them. Manu had Knockeart and Bjordal who were creating chances at will. If Baldock was playing in the second half, I'm confident he would have scored all 4 chances.

So overall I would say we played better than last year and the strength in depth this year is more evident. We are still 3 or 4 first team players short but I'm quietly confident that IF we keep the players and add some quality, we'll be challenging top two.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Presumably Maenpaa played more than one half as there must be a doubt about Stockdale. Someone said Stockdale said he would be out for 10 more days but sometimes these silly little injuries take longer than expected. Maenpaa looks certainly good enough if Stockdale isn't fit

You really can't tell how good someone might be from his performance in one almost meaningless friendly game against mediiocre light weight opposition.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
My ramblings after seeing the game from the seats, and I'm bored as wife is watching pretty little liars!

First half:

Maenpaa - A good solid no 2 (tee hee) - would have no problem with him stepping in for Stockers if required - had little to do but when called upon he dealt with it comfortably. Not as good as Stockers in setting up quick attacks.

Hunt (RB) - He did really well against a tricky winger - the winger tried a few times to get to the byline to get a a cross in and each time Hunt stopped him. He also played a wonderful ball into Hemed in the box which with a better first touch would have scored. I can see him being started in a couple of cup games. A really good prospect
Hall - His debut, didn't do anything wrong. Good positional sense, dealt with things calmly, looks a good player
Dunky - Captain in first half which seemed strange! Anyway he is our best CB without doubt, so calm and assured on the ball and hit a wonderful ball to Hemed for his goal. Always in control and looked after Hall. Got to keep him.
Bong - Great to see him back playing, played well against their winger, appears to be back to how we loved him at the beginning of last season.

Lua Lua - I can't put my finger on it but he really didn't do himself justice. There were times when it was just him and the right back and not once did he take him on. You'd urge him to knock the ball past and burst past him but never did. I can't recall one cross being put in, gave the ball away a few times as well. Defensively did well but he's missing his mojo at the moment - hope he finds it soon!
Stephens & Kayal - Best pairing in the Championship for me this coming season - have to keep them if we want to challenge top two places. They were like a purring Rolls going for a Sunday drive on a Summers day. Dominated midfield with ease, they didn't get out of first gear. Kayals goal was sublime, the movement to create the space to tap it into the net was class personified by Kayal.
Murphy - Disappointed in him based on this performance, hope it's a one off as I forgot he was on the pitch. Again like Lua Lua he never really tried to take his man on, always played it sideways or backwards.

Baldock - Needs to improve his first touch which i'm sure will get better, bounced off him a few times, never had a sniff of goal and to be honest not sure how many times he was in the box although that might be because I was in the seats!

Second half

Maenpaa/Sanchez - Sanchez didn't have much to do but he did well when called upon. I think he's taller than Maenpaa! Looks a good prospect.

Bruno - El Capitan - Even though he is 35 he still got up and down the wing with regular intent. I think he took it easy as wasn't as tight to their winger at times but hey, we were winning 3-0 at that point so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt!
White - First time seen him and was impressed. Reminded me a bit of Rea, be interesting to see how well he does in the u21 - didn't have much to do so difficult to judge.
Dallison - Reminds me of a young Dunk, so can't really pay him a higher compliment - (not because I think it was him who gave the ball away for the one on one) but because of his ability on the ball. Cup games might see him play more often.
Rosenior - Seemed off the pace a bit, as someone said appears to be suffering with a bad back, hopefully he'll recover quickly.

Knockeart - I'm not into man love but by God did he look good in the away kit! And boy can he play! Even in a friendly he was running round like a dog chasing a doggy ball, and in most cases ensuring a mistake is made by the defence. Such a difference to how Lua Lua/Murphy played - CH needs to show them the vid of Knockearts play to show what they should be doing because he was superb. I wouldn't be surprised if he scored at least 10 goals this year.
Ince - Didn't look comfortable in a midfield 2, he didn't seem confident coming forward, always tended to stay back which meant Crawley started getting more joy in the middle than the first half.
Sidwell - As he had to man the midfield by himself at times he did well, and an able understudy obviously for the main men. Can see him starting a few games at times and I would feel fine about that.
Bjordal - Heard good things about this kid and can see why. Surprisingly tall for a winger, has very good feet and managed to beat his man easily at times with his turn of pace, set up Manu who should have done better than hitting the post. Again can see Bjordal possibly coming on sub in cup games - did really well - keep an eye on him in the u21.

Murray - what can you say about him, a punt up field turned into an excellent ball and not only did he show he still has pace, he also showed how to use his strength to shrug off the defender and have the quality to find a bit of space before lashing it home with his left. Also had another goal disallowed for a questionable offside (think it was Manu). Brilliant to have him back, wouldn't be surprised to see him start alot of games this year.

Manu - wow - it's the first time I've seen him and he just did not look interested. He is waiting and wanting to leave, it's patently obvious. He should have at least 4 goals, not because he created the goal opportunities himself but poor finishing really cost him. How he missed the sitter from 2 yards I will never know! People will say well he had more shots than Baldock but you have to remember who they were playing with at the time. Baldock had Lua Lua and Murphy who didn't create anything between them. Manu had Knockeart and Bjordal who were creating chances at will. If Baldock was playing in the second half, I'm confident he would have scored all 4 chances.

So overall I would say we played better than last year and the strength in depth this year is more evident. We are still 3 or 4 first team players short but I'm quietly confident that IF we keep the players and add some quality, we'll be challenging top two.

Great report, thank you.

I'm so excited about watching Knockaert play again this season, he is a joy.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
On Maenpaa, I think there are positives and negatives. From what I've seen, he seems like the sort of keeper who could pull off a stunning save to win the game, great shot-stopper and reflexes... However, Stocko's distribution can be crucial for us especially when counterattacking.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

First half:

Second half

Great report. Much appreciated. Thank you. First time I've missed the Crawley friendly for a few years, but the weather was just too nice (summer at last!) to go to a pre-season game.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So is this Bjordal kid fast then?

Has Hughton got his own version of Pokemon Go but with wingers instead? For a manager that plays negative football he he's acquiring quite a selection:
Knockaert
Skalak
Murphy
Lua Lua
March
Bjordal

Any more?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So is this Bjordal kid fast then?

Has Hughton got his own version of Pokemon Go but with wingers instead? For a manager that plays negative football he he's acquiring quite a selection:
Knockaert
Skalak
Murphy
Lua Lua
March
Bjordal

Any more?

Bjordal looked very handy. They kicked lumps out of him and he just got up and carried on. Strong, tall lad but not quick. He's more a left midfielder than a winger. And only 18 or 19, good prospect I would say.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Bjordal looked very handy. They kicked lumps out of him and he just got up and carried on. Strong, tall lad but not quick. He's more a left midfielder than a winger. And only 18 or 19, good prospect I would say.

Yes well put. Cruyth turn with either foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here