Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley 1 Brighton 1. Thoughts on the game.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Yes good spot - it does seem to be the major tactical change Sami has opted upon from the Gus/Oscar's version of the 4-3-3/4-5-1 system we have become so used to.

It basically means our fullbacks have to have the skills of wingers while our actual wingers need to have the positional nous to exploit their more narrow positions inside. And also the midfield 3 have to be conscious of not overcomitting themselves rashly as they may have to cover for the advanced full back. The virtue I guess is that it gets the two forward wingers closer to our one striker, the problem is you need the right players to be comfortable with those positions.

We need Ward back ASAP as I think he can play this (sort of) wing back role quite well. Jury is out on whether Chicksen good enough. It should suit Calde/Bruno but the worry is their defensive discipline - Crawley got too much space out wide last night.

Then there is the question of whether it will suit the likes of Lualua and Buckley to play more narrower. Lualua had a rotten first half but came on strong in the second, maybe that's a sign of a learning curve in action. For me though, I'd still prefer to see him starting games out wide drawing fouls from fullbacks from the off.

The new shape possibly explains why Kemy rarely wandered far from the centre circle last night - these may be the defensive sacrifices of the new shape.

I saw it the same way. No change. I would say the basic shape was 4-3-3. We did not seem to string five across the middle which is a waste. One full back advances only when the ball is on the opposite flank. More like 4-4-2 to me. Chicksen had a lot of space against Crawley.

Playing this way with a right footed defensive midfielder there is a hole (sacrifice for attack) on the left hand side which mean we need a good left back like Stephen Ward. Kemy Agustien played a better role in the centre (ostensibly box2box) than when pushed forward against Partick when he looked out of the game. Exactly how Leicester played last season and in the home match when Konchesky pushed forward we suckered them on their left hand side.

I like the the role the not fully fit Lualua played against Crawley. Lingard role but Lualua has a greater range of skills. Not just the acceleration I like about him, but his change of direction.

I think we need a stopper center half in the old fashioned Steve Foster style.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This is season is a big season for JFC. He's had his apprenticeship out on loan, he had spells in and out of the side last year and he's made it into the England u21's. Last year Paul Scholes chatted about Jack Wilshere stepping up and no longer being a player people talked about as one for the future but someone who is fulfilling that potential. I feel this is the season is similar for JFC. I'm not saying he has to be a star man but I think this season he should stop people thinking of him as a youngster with potential but rather as a good player with ability.

Yes l agree that this is going to be a make or break season for young Jake. He was making great progress, until perhaps the beginning of last season when things tailed off a bit for him. This may of course have had something to do with the management style of Oscar Garcia, or perhaps the role he was playing in the team, (somewhat deeper lying than previously), but it may equally be because he has reached his ceiling, (i.e. a good player in Leagues One, or Two), but not up to the pace of the Championship.

Either way, l feel that we are about to find out.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Watched the stream and thought the speed we moved the ball was a huge plus, clearly something SH is pushing for. The problem was the final 3rd - the pushed on full backs were reluctant to cross it in the absence of a "big man" to attack it, but centrally it was very congested with the tucked in "wingers" playing as two 10s close to the central no9, and with 2 central midfielders behind them. That restricted us to pot shots from distance and set pieces which again we were poor from.

At times it's almost a 3421 formation - one midfielder dropping in between the centre halves and the full backs in the oppo half.

Thought Fenelon, March, LuaLua and Walton were all excellent, Maxi was composed and had a yard of pace at the back, I would be perfectly happy with him as 4th pick. CMS started brightly and looked sharp but faded; Calde & Chicksen were poor but I'd give the benefit of the doubt as it's a different system.

Kemy was physical and looked determined, not half hearted like last season, however his love for a Hollywood ball needs to be reigned in. Buckley looked keen to get on the shoulder which was promising - just need Calde to start playing through balls between the centre half and full back, but again he seemed not to want to do that.

Overall it was a little frustrating but I thought there was much to feel good about. Ideally a GK, ST, LB & AM will come in but for me the priority is LB & ST. Walton was very solid and we could easily push JFC or KA into the hole if KLL/WB got injured or lost form etc. We're not too far from being good to go I think.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And it never seems to amaze me how much this straw man argument is trotted out. But carrying on putting this phantom menace of NSC in his place :lol:

Not a straw man argument at all, its just a bit of perspective. We've lost some important players from the squad, none of the players we've recently signed were available to play last night, and we're still very much in the process of rebuilding for the season. So it was a scratch team playing at barely half pace in a meaningless pre-season training match against enthusiastic lower-league fodder, a scrappy 1-1 in a nothing game. But still some people have started self-harming because we didn’t look like Germany against Brazil.

Maybe these friendlies should be played behind closed doors. It’s a nonsense charging people to watch a these games, when our apparent prospects for the season are being based on our performance in what is basically a training session minus the cones.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It never ceases to amaze me how much some people read into pre-season friendlies. If we'd lost 3-0 it wouldn't mean we're in for a "long hard season". If we'd won 3-0, it doesn't mean we're going to walk the League. Its effectively a TRAINING session, a half-paced trot-around as the players continue their build-up to the start of the season. The result and performance is largely irrelevent. Players aren't yet match-fit, they're not wanting to overstretch themselves or risk an injury in a pointless game. Its a pre-season friendly in the middle of July - its just 90 minutes training, no more no less. I can remember many a pre-season where we've swept all before us and then STANK the place out when the action starts. Its meaningless !

By all means go along and enjoy the sunshine, have a look at the new strip, catch up with some regulars. But don't look at it like its a serious game of football. Its not an indicator of whats to come at all - its training.

Exactly right. This is why I don't bother with friendlies.

Another point - we don't know how the teams have trained this week. Sometimes they get run ragged in training and then have to play the game as well. In normal season time the day before a game is a light session and more about tactics, it makes a big difference to the pace of the games.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maybe these friendlies should be played behind closed doors. It’s a nonsense charging people to watch a these games, when our apparent prospects for the season are being based on our performance in what is basically a training session minus the cones.

I really don't agree at all.

As you will see from my OP, I would not read anything into our season's hopes on them, however what a friendly does provide is an idea of tactics for the season and shape etc (see the discussion above).

It also provides a valuable insight for the manager as to whether players can adjust to a change. It should mean something for the less established players as its an opportunity for them to press their claim, something which a number failed to do yesterday.

I would also add to this that the time you get injured is when you challenge half-heartedly.

Surely you wouldn't expect players to obtain match sharpness in training, through general ball-work?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We need Ward back ASAP as I think he can play this (sort of) wing back role quite well. Jury is out on whether Chicksen good enough. It should suit Calde/Bruno but the worry is their defensive discipline - Crawley got too much space out wide last night.

Then there is the question of whether it will suit the likes of Lualua and Buckley to play more narrower. Lualua had a rotten first half but came on strong in the second, maybe that's a sign of a learning curve in action. For me though, I'd still prefer to see him starting games out wide drawing fouls from fullbacks from the off.

The new shape possibly explains why Kemy rarely wandered far from the centre circle last night - these may be the defensive sacrifices of the new shape.

Whilst I disagree with you re Ince and JFC, al the above are excellent points.

Perhaps Toko will replace Kemy.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
[QUOTE=brightonrock;6466706

just need Calde to start playing through balls between the centre half and full back, but again he seemed not to want to do that.

the only player that could do that was Vicente:cry:

dan4bha

Mar 27, 2014
Perhaps Toko will replace Kemy.

Think Hyypia has said in the past that he plans to play Ince further forward and have Toko as the holding midfielder, which I prefer as it at least utilises Ince's physique, despite him needing to work on his technique and passing. Ince a more than able deputy for Toko if needed though

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I really don't agree at all.

As you will see from my OP, I would not read anything into our season's hopes on them, however what a friendly does provide is an idea of tactics for the season and shape etc (see the discussion above).

It also provides a valuable insight for the manager as to whether players can adjust to a change. It should mean something for the less established players as its an opportunity for them to press their claim, something which a number failed to do yesterday.

I would also add to this that the time you get injured is when you challenge half-heartedly.

Surely you wouldn't expect players to obtain match sharpness in training, through general ball-work?

I'm not saying friendlies are pointless, of course it'll help along with the fitness and it gives an opportunity to have a look at the possible setup and shape of the team - but its likely to be a drastically different team that starts the season anyway, and probably a totally different setup according to the personnel we have by then. I just think its a pointless exercise picking over and overly analysing a performance in a pre-season friendly, reading too much into it. What happens in those games is so far removed from how it'll be when we play for real, its just really not worth scrutinising at all IMO.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Think Hyypia has said in the past that he plans to play Ince further forward and have Toko as the holding midfielder, which I prefer as it at least utilises Ince's physique, despite him needing to work on his technique and passing. Ince a more than able deputy for Toko if needed though

Hmmm! That will be interesting, as I think Ince is more of a destroyer than a 'box to box' player. We'll see.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Yes l agree that this is going to be a make or break season for young Jake. He was making great progress, until perhaps the beginning of last season when things tailed off a bit for him. This may of course have had something to do with the management style of Oscar Garcia, or perhaps the role he was playing in the team, (somewhat deeper lying than previously), but it may equally be because he has reached his ceiling, (i.e. a good player in Leagues One, or Two), but not up to the pace of the Championship.

Either way, l feel that we are about to find out.

He is our only naturally left-footed player other than the defence.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
You can't go on a friendly result can you.
What I would say,is I think we will do as well as if not better than last year.....and you won't do as well as last year.Probably just missing out on the play offs,which I honestly think will be a shame.
So to put all that in to context,the gap between us is shrinking.......again.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
You can't go on a friendly result can you.
What I would say,is I think we will do as well as if not better than last year.....and you won't do as well as last year.Probably just missing out on the play offs,which I honestly think will be a shame.
So to put all that in to context,the gap between us is shrinking.......again.

I'm all for Crawley rising through the ranks and finally establishing a proper Sussex rivalry, rather than that artificial stuff with a London club, a lot further away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here