Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley 1 Brighton 1. Thoughts on the game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I watched the last 15 of the first half and about 25 of the second. I was impressed by Walton and going against the grain thought Kemy looked strong on the ball and quite creative, even if CMS was unable to read or control the through balls he played. I have high hopes for Kemi, looked a class above for me in the time I was watching :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It never ceases to amaze me how much some people read into pre-season friendlies. If we'd lost 3-0 it wouldn't mean we're in for a "long hard season". If we'd won 3-0, it doesn't mean we're going to walk the League. Its effectively a TRAINING session, a half-paced trot-around as the players continue their build-up to the start of the season. The result and performance is largely irrelevent. Players aren't yet match-fit, they're not wanting to overstretch themselves or risk an injury in a pointless game. Its a pre-season friendly in the middle of July - its just 90 minutes training, no more no less. I can remember many a pre-season where we've swept all before us and then STANK the place out when the action starts. Its meaningless !

By all means go along and enjoy the sunshine, have a look at the new strip, catch up with some regulars. But don't look at it like its a serious game of football. Its not an indicator of whats to come at all - its training.

You didn't go then :)

Think Crawley saw it as fairly serious by the way they applied themselves.

You are of course correct in terms of reading things into it, but as it is about getting into good habits, gaining understanding of each others game, the managers philosophy and developing match sharpness, as managers would not have them and would stick to training.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Crawley were always going to be up for it, local rivalry. They love trying to put one over on us viz the old Sussex Senior Cup games at Town Mead, which were blood and guts affairs. Throw Gregory into the mix, with his Albion history and it was bound to spice it up a bit for them. They sit only one level below us and its not beyond the realms of possibility that we could be meeting in the Championship in the near future. Far more kudos for them last night.
I agree with Easy10. The better players coast through these games, easing themselves towards peak fitness. They pull out of challenges, play at half-pace and generally are just feeling their way gently. There is no intensity for them. Its a pre-season kick-about.
In over 45 years of following BHA, I've been to about 3 friendlies. I gained nothing from them and see no point in wasting time and money in watching them. To regard them as an indicator of the season to come is naive. Managers experiment with formations and tactics that they have little or no intention of starting the season with. Its a game of bluff, like a boxer in training, who doesn't show too much of what he has to offer. Its more about getting match fit, avoiding injury and keeping your powder dry.
To those of you who pitch up at all the friendlies, fair play to you but don't read too much into them and start writing off the season before its even begun.

Stumpy Tim

Was it me, or did Kemy appear to be playing right-back half the game? I know the midfield is supposed to covering our full-backs, but it seemed to be permanent with him and Calde. Probably explains why Crawley had so much joy down that side.

If Kemy is going to play, like JFC, he needs to play further up the pitch IMO. However, that would leave us with no pace on the break

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Whilst realising it was a training game effectively, I really wanted to see some results of the training under the new mngt. Something that showed me what Hyppia is about. There didnt seem to be anything. Just pass it forward(ish), and hope for the best..

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Only a friendly so not too worried about the individual performances. The slightly worrying thing is that Crawley seemed to set out to rough us up and did that well in the first half, particularly the number 6. It was that, I think, which destroyed our pattern of play. Echoes of last season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Positives :

Walton is fantastic, already a better option than Ankergren in my opinion.

Maksimenko has improved, and we will be fine with him as 4th choice Central Defender.

Slight worries :

How far forward the full backs are in the formation.

Still not convinced by Chicksen.

Strikers - we really need to spend as much of the Leo money as possible on a number 1 forward. ( personally, I have my doubts O'Grady is this man, but of course he didn't play. )

On the whole, I was quite encouraged.

Last edited:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Crawley were always going to be up for it, local rivalry. They love trying to put one over on us viz the old Sussex Senior Cup games at Town Mead, which were blood and guts affairs. Throw Gregory into the mix, with his Albion history and it was bound to spice it up a bit for them. They sit only one level below us and its not beyond the realms of possibility that we could be meeting in the Championship in the near future. Far more kudos for them last night.
I agree with Easy10. The better players coast through these games, easing themselves towards peak fitness. They pull out of challenges, play at half-pace and generally are just feeling their way gently. There is no intensity for them. Its a pre-season kick-about.
In over 45 years of following BHA, I've been to about 3 friendlies. I gained nothing from them and see no point in wasting time and money in watching them. To regard them as an indicator of the season to come is naive. Managers experiment with formations and tactics that they have little or no intention of starting the season with. Its a game of bluff, like a boxer in training, who doesn't show too much of what he has to offer. Its more about getting match fit, avoiding injury and keeping your powder dry.
To those of you who pitch up at all the friendlies, fair play to you but don't read too much into them and start writing off the season before its even begun.

This.
I think Albion were shocked at Crawleys 1st half physical approach. The feed stopped at the half time whistle just as it looked as if Sami was waiting to speak to the ref, who gave very litte protection to us in the 1st half. I can understand players not being 100% committed if the tackles are flying in 3 weeks before the 1st game.
Dunk, Hughes, Stephens and O'Grady were all absent too, so as the poster says, this is all about fitness and tactical training.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
This is season is a big season for JFC. He's had his apprenticeship out on loan, he had spells in and out of the side last year and he's made it into the England u21's. Last year Paul Scholes chatted about Jack Wilshere stepping up and no longer being a player people talked about as one for the future but someone who is fulfilling that potential. I feel this is the season is similar for JFC. I'm not saying he has to be a star man but I think this season he should stop people thinking of him as a youngster with potential but rather as a good player with ability.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I thought Walton had a really solid game and showed great handling throughout.
Back 4 were ok, but others have alluded to, the full backs were so far up the pitch (obviously managers instructions) that there were occasions when we were exposed.
Midfield 3 lacked a bit of fitness/dynamism. KA barely moved from centre circle and got in RI way.
March looked lively before being replaced early by Fenelon who did well.
KLL was poor, as was CMS whose first touch was as bad as always. Seemed to have lost a yard of pace.
Having said all of the above it is only a friendly and hope improvements will come as most got 90 mins under their belt.

dan4bha

Mar 27, 2014
wasn't at the game yesterday, but I was in Spain last week. But from the games i've seen so far, i have noticed a new shape that Hyypia is trying to work with, whereby the fullbacks push right up with wingers tucking inside (a tactic that was seen a lot at the WC, although often when using 3 at the back). This puts a lot of responsibility on the fullbacks to create chances, but was also frustrating to see as it means we aren't able to utilise the pace that Lualua and Buckley clearly have. And it often meant that March, Buckley and Lualua struggled to get into the game.

Will be interesting to see how this tactic develops

wasn't at the game yesterday, but I was in Spain last week. But from the games i've seen so far, i have noticed a new shape that Hyypia is trying to work with, whereby the fullbacks push right up with wingers tucking inside (a tactic that was seen a lot at the WC, although often when using 3 at the back). This puts a lot of responsibility on the fullbacks to create chances, but was also frustrating to see as it means we aren't able to utilise the pace that Lualua and Buckley clearly have. And it often meant that March, Buckley and Lualua struggled to get into the game.

Will be interesting to see how this tactic develops

Yes good spot - it does seem to be the major tactical change Sami has opted upon from the Gus/Oscar's version of the 4-3-3/4-5-1 system we have become so used to.

It basically means our fullbacks have to have the skills of wingers while our actual wingers need to have the positional nous to exploit their more narrow positions inside. And also the midfield 3 have to be conscious of not overcomitting themselves rashly as they may have to cover for the advanced full back. The virtue I guess is that it gets the two forward wingers closer to our one striker, the problem is you need the right players to be comfortable with those positions.

We need Ward back ASAP as I think he can play this (sort of) wing back role quite well. Jury is out on whether Chicksen good enough. It should suit Calde/Bruno but the worry is their defensive discipline - Crawley got too much space out wide last night.

Then there is the question of whether it will suit the likes of Lualua and Buckley to play more narrower. Lualua had a rotten first half but came on strong in the second, maybe that's a sign of a learning curve in action. For me though, I'd still prefer to see him starting games out wide drawing fouls from fullbacks from the off.

The new shape possibly explains why Kemy rarely wandered far from the centre circle last night - these may be the defensive sacrifices of the new shape.

It never ceases to amaze me how much some people read into pre-season friendlies. If we'd lost 3-0 it wouldn't mean we're in for a "long hard season". If we'd won 3-0, it doesn't mean we're going to walk the League

And it never seems to amaze me how much this straw man argument is trotted out. But carrying on putting this phantom menace of NSC in his place :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here