Craig Davies

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lady_Vale

Apr 5, 2008
Stoke on Trent
He'd be a real acquisition. Good centre half and a genuine bloke. Our ex-captain. Cox probably also worth a punt.

In that case I really hope Micky pursues him.

Would MA have a little sway with him or would he just be looking at the financial side of the game for his next move?

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Virgo would be a brilliant signing for a League Two club. I can't imagine he'd want to drop to that level though, and will have no trouble finding a League One club.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Virgo would be a brilliant signing for a League Two club. I can't imagine he'd want to drop to that level though, and will have no trouble finding a League One club.

Was just about to post something like this.

He'll definitely be (at least) a League One player next season.

Cox on the other hand, would probably be a good signing for Vale, and is quite realistic.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'd be a little surprised if you signed Virgo, he would be an excellent signing for you but I can picture his wages perhaps being an issue

Lady_Vale

Apr 5, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Was just about to post something like this.

He'll definitely be (at least) a League One player next season.

Cox on the other hand, would probably be a good signing for Vale, and is quite realistic.

If Cox is predominantly LW I can't see that we'd go for him as we already have competiton within the squad already.

A solid, ball winning midfielder to compliment the endevour of Loft and give Griffith some competition and you'd be talking.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Ah right, that prob rules us out then.

Why did Brighton release him if he's highly rated?

Probably a combination of;
- High wages
- Doesn't really fit into our new style of play
- Trying to freshen up the faces at the club

If Cox is predominately LW I can't see that we'd go for him as we already have competiton within the squad already.

A solid, ball winning midfielder to compliment the endevour of Loft and give Griffith some competition and you'd be talking.

He's a pretty good CM, and playing just behind the striker. Well, in my opinion anyway.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008

I think mainly because he was going to be a bit-part player next season and due to the (reportedly) high wages he was on it suited both parties that he was released. Also he is a proper old-fashioned centre-half, from the head it and hoof it school, which doesn't really fit in with Poyet's style of football.

I honestly wouldn't have been disappointed if he had been given a new deal, mind.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Quite simply that we've got two better CBs at the moment and he's being paid too much to sit on the bench. He got sent off up at Leeds for a horrific challenge which cost us 3 points and Poyet didn't take too kindly to that. He'd just managed to fight he was back into the side and was looking good but that seemed to be the final straw.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

He was allegedly on a very good contract, some of his defending was fantastic, but he lets himself down by diving in and has a few too many red cards.

We are quite well off for centre halves, if he could play right back he would be staying!

He would be a terrific acquisition for Vale though, and can play as an emergency centre forward too, he was our leading scorer in the Championship the year we stayed up.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
Adam Virgo is an Albion legend! Really sad to see him go, but probably best for both parties as been mentioned before. Hope to see him playing at Falmer though - in FDMs testimonial!

[yt]_UQtHi5beGg[/yt]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Virgo is too good for Div 2 and will get picked up by another Div 1 side who want a stopper type central defender like Millwall, Yeovil Colchester or similar possibly even Southampton or Charlton. Infortunately he isnt a player in the ball playing mould that Gus wants to adopt but is a very efficient stopper.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If you want a quality winger for League 2 then look no further than Dean Cox. Has had his knockers but i think he's good - only bad thing is he has some annonymous games but overall i think you shoul sign him

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Barney might be allowed to go on a free transfer rather than loaned out for the remaining season on his contract. Chef still has a few more years as a goalie and could jump at the chance of joining up with Micky again but I doubt he would move his family up to Stoke.

Lady_Vale

Apr 5, 2008
Stoke on Trent
If you want a quality winger for League 2 then look no further than Dean Cox. Has had his knockers but i think he's good - only bad thing is he has some annonymous games but overall i think you shoul sign him

We've signed Rob Taylor for 2 years and Louis Dodds has been offered a contract who has done a bit of moonlighting on the left (although he is a bit of an enigma and were not sure where he belongs).

However Taylor who is first choice for the spot at present has had an indifferent time of late therefore perhaps the signing of Cox would be an intelligent move to ensure that there is a bit of quality competition for Taylor.

Saying that with our financial restraints and the fact we may need a couple of strikers (if Richards and Davies aren't with us next season), a Keeper and a CB I'm not sure if MA would see it as a priority.

SamSeagull

Mar 10, 2008
- High wages

He and cox were let go because they kept knocking on GPs door asking to play. that is a FACT by the way

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
- High wages

He and cox were let go because they kept knocking on GPs door asking to play. that is a FACT by the way

The last point is a fact but I understand GP pointed out if he was half as good at telling people how good he was when asking for a contract he might have got near one.....let your skills do the talking.....thats a FACT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports