Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Covid Passports *may* allow return to full Premier League crowds

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If fans are using the Covid passport on the NHS App, it’s just a scan of a QR code.

It's not just a scan though: the season tickets are on the phone too, so you'd have to log out of the app and onto to Google Pay. It's only going to take about three seconds to do that but that will quickly mount up. Say one thousand people go through one automatic gate, that's 3,000 seconds - that's an 50 additional minutes to cope with. And that's assuming that the wireless network at the Amex can cope (and judging by the amount of time that there's no signal, that's highly doubtful)

The only way to do it is to tie double vaccination info to the ticket in advance

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've had my two jabs in France. Will that be acceptable here ?

That was a question asked to Johnson at one of his conferences.

As you can imagine, it was met with bluster, hurrumph, and a half hearted 'we're looking into it' that didn't really answer the full question as he swiftly moved onto the next.

If only you had been a UEFA football official, eh ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's not just a scan though: the season tickets are on the phone too, so you'd have to log out of the app and onto to Google Pay. It's only going to take about three seconds to do that but that will quickly mount up. Say one thousand people go through one automatic gate, that's 3,000 seconds - that's an 50 additional minutes to cope with. And that's assuming that the wireless network at the Amex can cope (and judging by the amount of time that there's no signal, that's highly doubtful)

The only way to do it is to tie double vaccination info to the ticket in advance

QR code on phone or printed out, scaned to give a checksum to show OK or reject. as part of the existing searches negligible impact and no effect on network.

important point is we dont want to show "double vaccinated", there are those that cant be vaccinated and data privacy issues. having a simpler signed covid OK system solves both those.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've had my two jabs in France. Will that be acceptable here ?

That was a question asked to Johnson at one of his conferences.

As you can imagine, it was met with bluster, hurrumph, and a half hearted 'we're looking into it' that didn't really answer the full question as he swiftly moved onto the next.

If only you had been a UEFA football official, eh ?

Some unfair spin there. It has already been answered. Ie the jabs must have been administered by the NHS in the UK. ‘We’re looking into it’ is correct as they are looking into incorporating the EU passport into the UK one.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
QR code on phone or printed out, scaned to give a checksum to show OK or reject. as part of the existing searches negligible impact and no effect on network.

important point is we dont want to show "double vaccinated", there are those that cant be vaccinated and data privacy issues. having a simpler signed covid OK system solves both those.

I've just looked at the NHS app. While it does show that I'm doubly vaccinated, there's no QR code - it's text only, so it would need human intervention.

I also timed how long it would to close down NHS app and open season ticket on the phone - it takes13 seconds, that's quite a significant delay. (and assumes, of course, that everone has already got their vaccination info on screen before reaching the ground)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

As an overall solution, it does seem a tad over-engineered. Excludes both the tech-non-savvy oldies and the unvaccinated youngies. IMHO it's massively over-reliant on phone-based technology. The credit card-sized ST/print-at-home ticket thing worked perfectly well and was good for a few seasons yet, as well as being far more straightforward to use on public transport. First time the stadium wireless network has a hiccup - which it will at some point - absolute CHAOS will ensue

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Some unfair spin there. It has already been answered. Ie the jabs must have been administered by the NHS in the UK. ‘We’re looking into it’ is correct as they are looking into incorporating the EU passport into the UK one.

Which they should have done long before now. Not only the EU, but other nations too. No spin there.

Read a letter recently about a lady who wanted to see their dying sister but would have to quarantine for ten days. But it's okay for UEFA officials to attend a football match.

NO excuses.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've just looked at the NHS app. While it does show that I'm doubly vaccinated, there's no QR code - it's text only, so it would need human intervention.

I also timed how long it would to close down NHS app and open season ticket on the phone - it takes13 seconds, that's quite a significant delay. (and assumes, of course, that everone has already got their vaccination info on screen before reaching the ground)

Mine has a QR code. Look under ‘domestic.’
Closing the NHS app takes 1 second. Just touch the home button at the bottom. Opening the ST takes 1 second. Just click Apple Wallet (or equivalent).

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
With 23k season ticket holders and tickets sold in advance any requirement to declare or disclose having been vaccinated could surely be done pre-season or pre- match via our accounts or at the point of sale.
It’ll be virtually impossible to do on the day of the match.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It’s a good question re away fans. If the vaccine passports are going to be uploaded in some way (or at least associated with) ST then presumably the away club can share this information with the home club at point of purchase. If it’s checks on the day then away fans get checked the same as home fans. We are planning to arrive early for games this season !

There is a huge problem though in that when you go through the process of obtaining the QR vaccine passport from the NHS app it is only valid for a month.
So one obtained today is only valid until 24 August, so I can't see clubs taking all that extra admin, it will have to be a QR reader at gates or visual check.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

The club will be all over this and my guess is there will be staggered checks with you passing through a Covid scan check first then onto the ticket check so people can get the next bit ready between points. If people are worried about the NHS pass on the phone you can print this as well. There will obviously be notifications from the club requesting people to allow more time before KO whilst this beds in.

Like going cashless there will be a minority that will take more time to adapt to more electronic means of transacting but IMO this is being presented as a much bigger issue than it will actually turn out to be.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Which they should have done long before now. Not only the EU, but other nations too. No spin there.

Read a letter recently about a lady who wanted to see their dying sister but would have to quarantine for ten days. But it's okay for UEFA officials to attend a football match.

NO excuses.

That’s not what you said though. You said the reaction was bluster when it’s just that agreement hasn’t as yet been reached and that works both ways. Governments can’t just click their fingers and solve these problems in an instant. You have to be realistic.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
With 23k season ticket holders and tickets sold in advance any requirement to declare or disclose having been vaccinated could surely be done pre-season or pre- match via our accounts or at the point of sale.
It’ll be virtually impossible to do on the day of the match.

Might be a fair few refunds to process, people purchased something without an additional set of rules added later

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m really struggling to see what all the fuss is about. It takes seconds to flick between my ticket wallet and my Covid pass. Covid pass opens with a huge QR code and my name, as does a random gig ticket I selected in my wallet. None of this requires a cellular or WiFi connection. If you need to flash your ID as well just have it to hand. Maybe arrive at the ground a bit earlier and job done and no pant pissing.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That’s not what you said though. You said the reaction was bluster when it’s just that agreement hasn’t as yet been reached and that works both ways. Governments can’t just click their fingers and solve these problems in an instant. You have to be realistic.

His reaction was bluster. It's a shame I can't remember which conference it was. I remember the chap asking a detailed question and Johnson just fobbing him off with that and wanting to move onto the next one. I remember shouting at the screen (quite rare for me) in absolute annoyance about him just wanting to run away from the chap's concerns.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’m really struggling to see what all the fuss is about. It takes seconds to flick between my ticket wallet and my Covid pass. Covid pass opens with a huge QR code and my name, as does a random gig ticket I selected in my wallet. None of this requires a cellular or WiFi connection. If you need to flash your ID as well just have it to hand. Maybe arrive at the ground a bit earlier and job done and no pant pissing.

Of course, if you have shown your Covid pass once then you won't need to show it again. You may need to prove it is you on the ticket though.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Does it work equally well with your small children, your elderly relative who no longer has capacity to work a mobile phone, and your friend who doesn't have a phone at all?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here