Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Court case involving Albion players - the (new) only thread allowed - ALL found NOT GUILTY

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
CourtNewsUK ‏@CourtNewsUK 8m
Victim in Brighton footballers sex trial claimed she went to police after Kasenga LuaLua threatened to post indecent vids of her on YouTube

CourtNewsUK ‏@CourtNewsUK 6m
Evidence about LuaLua had previously been kept secret by reporting restrictions and can be reported for the first time today.

Tiem to get rid whether you like him as a footballer or not, he has now been involved, directly or indirectly in 3 criminal offences in the last year or so. :(

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Tiem to get rid whether you like him as a footballer or not, he has now been involved, directly or indirectly in 3 criminal offences in the last year or so. :(

Not really, the evidence was about a case people knew about and the other one has been dropped. So one case that has been dealt with, this was not his fault.

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
Here is more on the breaking news:

Four footballers were cleared today of sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman in a hotel room.

Jurors at the Old Bailey also found them not guilty of voyeurism at a retrial.

Brighton and Hove Albion players Anton Rodgers, 20, Lewis Dunk, 21, and George Barker, 21, and former team-mate Steve Cook, 22, who now plays for Bournemouth, had maintained their innocence.

They were given bail throughout the trial and their families, including Rodgers' father - Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers - watched the proceedings.

The prosecution said the players were celebrating victory in a local cup in July 2011, when they came across the drunken woman at a club.

She woke up at the Jury's Inn hotel to find her strapless dress pulled down and said she saw explicit pictures on Rodgers' mobile phone.

Richard Barton, prosecuting, said these were taken as a "permanent record of their conquest".

But despite forensic tests on all the players' phones, only one photograph was found on Barker's phone.

It showed the sleeping woman with shaving foam spelling out GB on her thigh.

Barker was next to her doing a thumbs-up sign and smiling.

Another player, Leon Redwood, said he went into the room at night and sprayed the foam.

Barker and Rodgers said the woman had joined in the "boy's banter".

She climbed into bed with them and started kissing them.

Dunk and Cook said they were sleeping on the floor and did not get involved with the woman.

The woman was said to have "told a pack of lies" following the incident.

She agreed she lied to police and her employers but said she had been humiliated by the sportsmen.

She complained to police about the players six months later after getting into a volatile relationship with another player, Kazenga LuaLua.

He wound her up about her photographs being shown around the club and kidded her that a video would be put on YouTube.

Police have been unable to find anyone at the club who had seen pictures of the woman.

The woman admitted an assortment of lies, including:

Missing work earlier that day and ringing in to say her father had been involved in a traffic accident.
Missing work the next day and saying she had been assaulted in the street by three men named Jack, Ben and Sam.
Producing a black dress instead of the pink dress that she had been wearing.
Missing work a month later because she was at Gay Pride celebrations and telling her bosses she had been drugged.
The woman hoped she would be taken out by Redwood on July 16, but started kissing and dancing with another player, Roland Bergkamp, after seeing him with another girl.

She said she was not drunk and could remember nothing after taking a drink in the club.

But her friend said they had each drunk between 10 and 15 shots of alcohol and shared a bottle of wine.

Jurors at an earlier trial in February could not agree verdicts but found Dunk not guilty of voyeurism.

Brighton this week released Rodgers and his team-mate Ben Sampayo, who was a reluctant prosecution witness in the case.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

But this was found NOT to be a criminal offence.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I suppose it's too much to hope that we could get a hatrick of good news today in time for the Bank Holiday weekend ?

1. Players found not guilty
2. The thing with Gus resolved
3. Fantastic new manager appointed

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Am hearing Cook,Barker, Dunk,Rogers cleared (from a mate's twitter) Sorry! a bit late :)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
So Kaz was involved. What a surprise.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

You might wish to retract that comment. He was found guilt of smashing a girl's phone. That's it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Wow, I am guessing you or someone close have had a bad experience with a pro player.

I dont think footballers are necessarily conflicted with those characteristics, I accept some might be but slightly a generalisation.

Wrong guess, I'm not preaching from a perfect position myself but just as someone with a) a reasonably well adjusted moral compass and b) a life of clearing up the wreckage from people who act but don't think of the consequences and c) observing the impact on the innocent, who are often the collateral damage. So I may not be quite as quick to give the perpetrators the benefit of the doubt, including those (not all) footballers who think they are beyond the standards that the rest of us follow. I am becoming tired of reading regular headlines about the employees of The Albion (and other Clubs) for the wrong reasons.

I cautiously welcome the news re this latest court case but I suggest the conduct of the players was naive and hardly something to be proud of.

Thats why in my earlier post I applauded those Clubs that take a firm line. But I'm not sure the culture will change until all Clubs / PFA / Agents and players themselves take collective and individual responsibilities, especially given how rapidly things can get out of control because of social media etc.. I wonder what if any training / education young football apprentices receive about conducting their lives off the pitch, and whether not the effectiveness of this is reviewed because so many young players seem to end up in trouble. They are probably more vulnerable than most punters and will attract good/bad people like moths to a flame, so could fall under the wrong influences.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think that's the correct verdict. Shouldn't have even got to court. Hope the girl is okay and the case doesn't affect her too badly, but she was terribly advised from start to finish.

The fact that it's taken two trials to reach a verdict suggests to me that it was entirely reasonable to take this to court.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Wrong guess, I'm not preaching from a perfect position myself but just as someone with a) a reasonably well adjusted moral compass and b) a life of clearing up the wreckage from people who act but don't think of the consequences and c) observing the impact on the innocent, who are often the collateral damage. So I may not be quite as quick to give the perpetrators the benefit of the doubt, including those (not all) footballers who think they are beyond the standards that the rest of us follow. I am becoming tired of reading regular headlines about the employees of The Albion (and other Clubs) for the wrong reasons.

I cautiously welcome the news re this latest court case but I suggest the conduct of the players was naive and hardly something to be proud of.

Thats why in my earlier post I applauded those Clubs that take a firm line. But I'm not sure the culture will change until all Clubs / PFA / Agents and players themselves take collective and individual responsibilities, especially given how rapidly things can get out of control because of social media etc.. I wonder what if any training / education young football apprentices receive about conducting their lives off the pitch, and whether not the effectiveness of this is reviewed because so many young players seem to end up in trouble. They are probably more vulnerable than most punters and will attract good/bad people like moths to a flame, so could fall under the wrong influences.

Agree with that. I do hope the club have something in place if they did not already.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Hooray-that's one of the dark clouds hanging over the club gone:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here