Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Country House Hotel recommendation?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Amberley Castle is a beautiful place, and historically the food has been amazing. Not eaten there for a couple of years, but I'd imagine it is still pretty special.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mrs Jakarta grew up in the New Forest and we treat ourselves with a long weekend every year at the Montagu Arms, Beauliue.

Very expensive, food and rooms reflect the price however...

Last edited:

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
The Manor House, Castle Coombe

https://www.exclusive.co.uk/the-man...3zb9d8ePVXEtcQX7evRo1XeDKMV2Em3gaAqexEALw_wcB

We stayed here for the first two nights of our honeymoon, and more recently to celebrate for our 30th Wedding Anniversary.

Picturesque village setting, and close to Bath, Westonbirt Arboretum, Bowood and Longleat.
I have stayed and eaten there many times.
The Restaurant has a Michelin star and the setting is beautiful. I’m a corporate member of the golf club which is a stunning course.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I've had mixed reports from Baillifscourt from people who have stayed there.

Ockenden Manor is nice and the expanded spa is meant to be very good.

Also been to Newick Park which is a lovely building and grounds with good food.

South Lodge would be the premium option but would certainly meet your food requirements. Looks like Spurs were there ahead of the game on Saturday rather than the ESN where many stay but don't let that put you off.
Sadly Newick Park was sold and is now a private residence.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Bailiffscourt is very good stayed there a few times. Decent Spa and the food is very good. Nice walks along the beach as well. Arundel is a stones throw away to visit. Only downside is if you get put up in their modern blocks - you can ask for the traditional part of the hotel but it gets booked up quickly BUT it is actually all fake ( not that you'd guess it ). Nice roaring fires, afternoon tea etc. Their sister hotel Ockenden Manor is very good as well. Used to have a Star for it's food but lost it but the food is still of a very high standard. Decent Spa as well. For ambience I prefer Ockenden - really old worlde, numerous open fires and fantastic views. For food I prefer Bailiffscourt.

Totally agree - Would also throw South Lodge into the mix , the best spa I’ve been to in Sussex, the food good too.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Rhinefield House near Brockenhurst in the New Forest is a favourite of mine. So much so we got married there

Not great the last time we went there (August 2022). Service wasn't great, which came a year after bad experience in one of the Handpicked properties. To be fair the regional manager got back to me after I honestly filled in the survey and was very apologetic, but it is/was suffering with staff shortages and the continued fallout from covid on the hospitality sector.

The kids loved the pool, but that's not really a great attraction in November!

I came here to recommend:

https://www.exclusive.co.uk/the-man...3zb9d8ePVXEtcQX7evRo1XeDKMV2Em3gaAqexEALw_wcB

We stayed here for the first two nights of our honeymoon, and more recently to celebrate for our 30th Wedding Anniversary.

Picturesque village setting, and close to Bath, Westonbirt Arboretum, Bowood and Longleat.

A stunning place, hotel and golf course that Mrs Bobkin and I have visited a few times and look forward to going back to soon.

Another shout is Wilderness Reserve – https://www.wildernessreserve.com/home – something a bit different with fantastic facilities.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Just don't get it confused with The Manor House in Oakhampton, Devon [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION]

I fear the three buffet meals a day, cheap wine and rows of pensioners signing up for bowls and pottery would finish you off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just don't get it confused with The Manor House in Oakhampton, Devon [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION]

I fear the three buffet meals a day, cheap wine and rows of pensioners signing up for bowls and pottery would finish you off.

If he does confuse the two....I look forward to his entries in the Restaurant thread :lolol:

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
Ockenden Manor is nice if staying local, spa is new and shiny still.

Chewton Glen is great if you want to be down in the New Forest area. Great spa there too. Not cheap though....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I ate there when the Masterchef whose speciality was goat curry ran it. I think it’s now a bit like an Ibiza club in that they have residencies for different chefs for a couple of months.

You are of course talking about Steven Edwards who now owns Etch in Hove and a fantastic restaurant it is too.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here