Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Country House Hotel recommendation?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I've had mixed reports from Baillifscourt from people who have stayed there.

Ockenden Manor is nice and the expanded spa is meant to be very good.

Also been to Newick Park which is a lovely building and grounds with good food.

South Lodge would be the premium option but would certainly meet your food requirements. Looks like Spurs were there ahead of the game on Saturday rather than the ESN where many stay but don't let that put you off.

I like South Lodge too and have been a number of times since the early 1990's, which makes me feel old.

A couple of years ago I was there at the same time as the Arsenal Squad, we beat them the next day =0)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10414631 said:
There's another one near Arundel which is lovely too, had lunch their once - I've never stayed. Very good food, and not too pricey. Stunning setting.

https://www.thepighotel.com/in-the-south-downs/

Where Olivia Coleman has been staying recently, by all accounts, whilst filming Wicked Little Letters in Arundel and Worthing.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
South lodge is excellent. I was expecting more from Bailiffscourt - maybe we just got a rubbish room.

If you can get to Scotland - we stayed at theses two places last summer and they are outstanding rooms, and food

kinloch-lodge.co.uk
www.fonabcastlehotel.com

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bailiffscourt is very good stayed there a few times. Decent Spa and the food is very good. Nice walks along the beach as well. Arundel is a stones throw away to visit. Only downside is if you get put up in their modern blocks - you can ask for the traditional part of the hotel but it gets booked up quickly BUT it is actually all fake ( not that you'd guess it ). Nice roaring fires, afternoon tea etc. Their sister hotel Ockenden Manor is very good as well. Used to have a Star for it's food but lost it but the food is still of a very high standard. Decent Spa as well. For ambience I prefer Ockenden - really old worlde, numerous open fires and fantastic views. For food I prefer Bailiffscourt.
Bailiffscourt is levels above Ockenden Manor in my experience. Service at OM has been awful on my last couple of visits. Alexander House is also massively overrated Imo

Syon Park is excellent.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Mrs Jakarta grew up in the New Forest and we treat ourslves with a long weekend every year at the Montagu Arms, Beauliue.

Very expensive, food and rooms reflect the price however...

Had dinner there but not stayed. We absolutely love the New Forest but now with two young kids we are relegated to posh caravan parks at New Milton. Before they spoiled it we used really like Carey's Manor in Brockenhurst. Nice hotel and with a great but not cheap Thai restaurant right next door. In the same vicinity I've heard lots of great reports about The Pig

https://www.thepighotel.com/brockenhurst/

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Blimey! Thanks for all the recommendations. I’ll be selecting a place tomorrow; dates are fixed…

Jul 7, 2003
Ockenden Manor is nice if staying local, spa is new and shiny still.

Chewton Glen is great if you want to be down in the New Forest area. Great spa there too. Not cheap though....

I was looking to stay for a night in the New Forest a couple of weeks ago and looked at Chewton Glen but the £700 price tag put me off.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Whoever wins the recommendation, do they get a free night's stay at said venue :D:whistle:

I’ll certainly ask the reservations team at the selected hotel to create an an account on NSC, make the number of moderated posts that are required before a new member can send PMs, and then send a PM to the lucky winner.

I can’t guarantee that they’ll oblige though. Obvs.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I’ll certainly ask the reservations team at the selected hotel to create an an account on NSC, make the number of moderated posts that are required before a new member can send PMs, and then send a PM to the lucky winner.

I can’t guarantee that they’ll oblige though. Obvs.

Bloody rules :rolleyes:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Well, I've spent a good 5 hours sorting through this lot. I definitely want to stay at eight places; six of which have availability. Kin hell, how to choose?

Perhaps I'd better delegate that to the boss?

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Well, I've spent a good 5 hours sorting through this lot. I definitely want to stay at eight places; six of which have availability. Kin hell, how to choose?

If you can get a booking The Inn on The Lake is a fantastic option, we also found it convenient for a dip into Scotland, Dumfries via Gretna Green just a short hop over the border.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

You need a POLE [emoji106]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here