Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

counties in england never to have a league side....ever, ever EVER?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Would I be right in saying that, pre-1974, Dorset would have been on the list ? I think Bournemouth was in Hampshire around that time.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
That would be Ginsters, of Callington, Cornwall.

Correct, however for someone without geographical knowledge, a football team playing with the slogan 'pride of Cornwall', across the shirt, would probably make them think the club were based there.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Would I be right in saying that, pre-1974, Dorset would have been on the list ? I think Bournemouth was in Hampshire around that time.

Bournemouth was indeed in Hampshire before that particular set of boundary changes.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Marvellous thread. I've read it from the start and cannot recommend it highly enough. What happened to Les Biehn?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
In old money, Bristol was in Somerset (even though it was is the home of Gloucestershire Cricket Club), but is now part of Avon -which presumably leaves Somerset as a county without a league football team. Again, in the old days, Birmingham and Villa would have been in Warwickshire - at least Warwickshire still has Coventry (sort of).

So - county without a football league club at least within it's current boundaries...I give you Somerset.
sorry wrong, Bristol was never in Somerset, old money or not, it has always been Gloucestershire or South Gloucestershire, then Avon and of course a city and county in its own right........perhaps that is why Gloucestershire cricket is in Bristol.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
In old money, Bristol was in Somerset (even though it was is the home of Gloucestershire Cricket Club), but is now part of Avon -which presumably leaves Somerset as a county without a league football team. Again, in the old days, Birmingham and Villa would have been in Warwickshire - at least Warwickshire still has Coventry (sort of).

So - county without a football league club at least within it's current boundaries...I give you Somerset.

:dunce:
Must try harder :D

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Has anyone mentioned the Inner Temple and Middle Temple yet? Sandwiched between Greater London and the City of London. Just about big enough for two football grounds.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Northumberland does has a league club....

Berwick Rangers

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
sorry wrong, Bristol was never in Somerset, old money or not, it has always been Gloucestershire or South Gloucestershire, then Avon and of course a city and county in its own right........perhaps that is why Gloucestershire cricket is in Bristol.

Blow me down with a feather - just looked it up and you're quite right. Was sure I remembered it as a quiz question back then - which County Cricket team plays its home matches out of the county? Of course, back then I lived in Sussex, so wasn't as aware of the rest of the world then..............!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here