Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

counties in england never to have a league side....ever, ever EVER?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Can't believe I missed this thread. I obviously had rather more of a life in 2006.

Dorset is a moot point. Bournemouth is a unitary authority, historically in HAMPSHIRE but was part of Dorset between Local Government reorganisations of 1974 and 1997. So it qualifies under the Ever, ever classification.

The Isle of Wight is a ceremonial and non-metropolitan county. Since the abolition of its two borough councils in 1995 and the restructuring of the county council as the Isle of Wight Council, it has been a unitary county.

PG

Can't believe I missed this thread. I obviously had rather more of a life in 2006.

Dorset is a moot point. Bournemouth is a unitary authority, historically in HAMPSHIRE but was part of Dorset between Local Government reorganisations of 1974 and 1997. So it qualifies under the Ever, ever classification.

The Isle of Wight is a ceremonial and non-metropolitan county. Since the abolition of its two borough councils in 1995 and the restructuring of the county council as the Isle of Wight Council, it has been a unitary county.

PG
... BUT ... until 1889, the Isle of Wight was part of the administrative county of Hampshire. And it was part of the ceremonial county of Hampshire until 1974 (in the sense that one Lord Lieutenant was appointed as Her/His Majesty's representative to cover the whole area).

Incidentally ... from 1889 until 1959, the administrative county we know as "Hampshire" was officially called the County of Southampton.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
We can take 'West Sussex' off the list anyway.

That must be because Crawley is in West Sussex.
My argument for Brighton & Hove Albion to be East Sussex is that for most of its existence the Goldstone was in East Sussex before Brighton & Hove were amalgamated.

Northumberland (if you ignore Newcastle United) had Ashington as founder members of the old Division 3 North.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
God for a Geography geek this thread is annoying!

Plymouth IS IN DEVON! (not theoretically inbeetween the two - what on an island in the Tamar??). Kidderminster (Harriers) is in Worcestershire. Love the start of the thread - like a load of Village idiots shouting random counties at each other :D It's a bit tricky though with all these new fangled counties...

God for a Geography geek this thread is annoying!

Plymouth IS IN DEVON! (not theoretically inbeetween the two - what on an island in the Tamar??). Kidderminster (Harriers) is in Worcestershire. Love the start of the thread - like a load of Village idiots shouting random counties at each other :D It's a bit tricky though with all these new fangled counties...

I'm with you there! Anyone remember Boston in the paint cup, had a big flag with 'pride of Bostonshire' across it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here